PDA

View Full Version : internet protocol

kanuter
05-14-2002, 02:07 PM
someone at a dutch forum said that the xbox doesn't use an IP adress to communicate on the internet..
but what kind of protocol does it use the?

an if it does use an ip adress where can i find the mac adress of the ethernetcontroller in my xbox.. cause my isp wants to know the mac adress else it won't give an IP...

DrUnKtAnK
05-14-2002, 02:15 PM
I have seen that the XBOX uses an ip address as 0.0.0.1....

Are you trying to connect your xbox to the internet to play online?

DrUnKtAnK
05-14-2002, 02:23 PM
Here is some more intresting tidbits:

XboxHacker.net has received some interesting information from an 'anonymous developer'.

Xbox online stuff

-every packet sent has overhead of 30-40 bytes per packet, due to DES (30-40 bytes of DES on the packet is for authentication, not encryption. MS was advising developers to make their games send fewer large packets, as opposed to many small ones. That is due to the fact that the 30-40 bytes overhead is sent regardless of packet size, plus the fact that the game needs to send voice data as well as game data. That is for game packets only however, game content(downloadable levels etc.) is encrypted as well as authenticated.
-Every xbox is verified/has a unique ID.
-The backend for the service uses SQL.
-The service will support billable content(e.g. paying for a new level etc.)
-Content is encrypted(I'd assume with DES) + authenticated.
-User accounts travel with the player from xbox to xbox(e.g. if you are banned on one xbox, then use your account on a different xbox, you are still banned)
-The service will have guest accounts.
-8 accounts per hard drive
-Game servers must be microsoft certified.
-Xbox's have a series of ip address's, not just one(don't know how this works)

Other stuff

-Visual C++ needs SP5 plus a CPU pack, to compile code for the xbox.
-No .dlls on xbox
-Drive E: on the xbox is the debug drive
-Hard drive is split into three parts-
utility storage- temp data
title data- data that persists for all sessions, + downloadable data
user data - saved games
-No HAL
-No Registry
-No GUI API calls
-Kernel is in ROM
-Everything runs at ring 0

Kraft
05-14-2002, 02:23 PM
I believe that is the address it uses to play over a LAN, since it can just check the lan system for that one unused IP and link up the boxes together. The whole online IP thing will depend pretty much exclusively on how MS is planning on setting up the online network. Check back for details after E3 :)

Rowdie
05-14-2002, 02:52 PM
Originally posted by kanuter
someone at a dutch forum said that the xbox doesn't use an IP adress to communicate on the internet..
but what kind of protocol does it use the?

an if it does use an ip adress where can i find the mac adress of the ethernetcontroller in my xbox.. cause my isp wants to know the mac adress else it won't give an IP...

Err? a second static IP? If you hook the Box too your cable modem the cable company should have no issues figuring out the mac address.

kanuter
05-14-2002, 02:56 PM
so it does uses an IP address..

But if i want to connect my xbox directly to my adsl modem i have to know the mac address because my ISP wants that, it's there policy...
It's problably because it is a ISP from the university i go to and they have one of the fastest connections europe and they don't want everyone on it..

Kraft
05-14-2002, 02:59 PM
If your xbox has a motherboard (which it does), an ethernet card (which it does) and has drivers set up for tcp/ip (which... i hope it does, otherwise this xboxlive thing is going to bomb...) then you have to have a mac address. my guess is when the software is released for xbox live it will set up and activate everything you need. just out of curiosity, you aren't just trying to set up xbconnect or gamespy, are you?

DrUnKtAnK
05-14-2002, 03:00 PM
Could you hook it up to a router or hub? They never know....

Rowdie
05-14-2002, 03:03 PM
Originally posted by kanuter
so it does uses an IP address..

But if i want to connect my xbox directly to my adsl modem i have to know the mac address because my ISP wants that, it's there policy...
It's problably because it is a ISP from the university i go to and they have one of the fastest connections europe and they don't want everyone on it..

What I'm saying is, if you find the right guy that works for the people who are requesting your mac address, this guy will be able to get that address just by knowing who you are and having you plug your box into the modem. There's a ton of tools, hardware and software that can do this. Shoot if you look around you might find one for free. Load that onto your PC and then hook you xbox to the pc. The software will search the network for any attached devices and find out what protocols it's using and yes the Mac address.

Otherwise you might be able to open your box and the mac address MIGHT be printed on the board?? I would try to avoid that method.

:cool:

kanuter
05-14-2002, 03:10 PM
ok thanks!

no i'm not trying to connect to xbconnect and gamespy i was just wondering what to do when Xbox Live is online and i want to connect my xbox directly to my adsl modem...