PDA

View Full Version : Custom Xboxs ... a good idea??

Sham365
01-09-2001, 11:42 AM
It would be cool if the XBox came in many different colors right of the bat instead of 8-12 months after its release (that seems to be the norm for consoles). I would also like the option to customizing your Xbox through an online ordering system wherein you could pick your color, accesories that come with it and even perhaps get the logo of you favorite sports team along with your name put on the console.

Just think about this for a second. Microsoft is a computer software company. Correct. The software is run on computers. Correct. Oftentimes these computers are customizable through online ordering, catalogues, etc. Also correct. So why can't Microsoft do the same w/ the XBox? They could just pass the cost on to the person ordering it...I would pay an extra $130 if I knew that a forest green XBox could be delivered to my door complete with 2 controllers a keyboard, ethernet cords and 3 games of my choice. And it had a Portland Trailblazer logo on it with my name engraved on the top to boot!!

This idea would greatly benefit Microsoft because then they could get a headstart on all the aftermarket products put out by other vendors. Why would I get a JoeSchmoCorp additional controller when I could just order one extra to be delivered with my Xbox??

Tell me what you think.

Tom
01-09-2001, 03:37 PM
I must say! That would, of course, be something special to see the ability to customize a game system like you would a home computer. ;) But, I don't forsee it ever becoming quite that customizable. Most of the time, game systems have to be mass produced, especially in the beggining, just to keep up with the demand for the console. (Which I am most certain will be the case with the Xbox.) Again, great ideas there man, but I don't think we will start to see those kind of online ordering options for quite a while.

Sham365
01-10-2001, 11:18 AM
Yeah, I understand what you are saying. Hopefully the XB folks will at least consider this idea earlier then later...Afterall N64 comes in a variety of colors, but it did take entirely too long for them to do so.

Armacham
01-18-2001, 08:24 PM
That would be a good idea, but there is the mass-production issue. Usually when you order a custom PC from someone like Alienware, it takes about 15-30 days to get your computer because they build it from scratch. The most customibility I foresee for the XBox is maybe different colors, but don't expect to be able to get yours monogrammed.

John
01-19-2001, 01:24 AM
Customized consoles? Sounds like everything Microsoft's Xbox philosophy is not. The purpose of Xbox is to supply high-power games without worrying about all the bugs that come with developing for different platforms, operating systems, etc.

The biggest challenge Microsoft has right now is to convince the gaming public that the Xbox is not a PC.. That it won't a 'renaissance machine' to aid their global monopoly and destroy all that is good and sacred about video gaming. The philosophy at hand is about developing a GAME CONSOLE. It would be their Certain Death if they started employing the same tactics that would be used in the computer/software industry.

Tom
01-19-2001, 06:00 AM
I'd hate to see an "Imac" of consoles start up. While I dig the look of the Imac's, the whole color thingy kinda disturbs me. :)

John
01-23-2001, 02:36 AM
Originally posted by Tom
I'd hate to see an "Imac" of consoles start up. While I dig the look of the Imac's, the whole color thingy kinda disturbs me. :)

Seriously!! The thought of purchasing a GameBoy Color crossed my mind (if only to play the recently adapted Dragon Warriors), but the idea was quickly negated when I saw that it only came in almost every color BUT black or white!! I simply refuse to play on a see-through purple machine!

Tom
01-23-2001, 03:36 PM
there's just something all strange about PC's and Game Systems getting dressed up like the designer phone craze of the eighties.

*Tom runs away screaming!!!*

Devin
01-30-2001, 06:21 PM
Microsoft has said again and again they do not want it to be like a PC. How many times do they have to say that to get it through your dense skulls. Making it so it is customizeable, like a PC, would be comparing it to what they do with PC's. Plus it would cost a lot more to make cutomized X-BOX's. They X-BOX's would take longer to get becuse they have to cutomize it for everyone. By the time you get yours there will be a better console on the market. Mass production is the fastest way and they should stick with that way.

Plus it would cost a lot more than an extra $130 dollars to get a cutomized X-BOX, a remote control, two controllers, and 3 games. To get three games it would cost $210.00 asuming they cost $70 and there is no taxes included. A remote control would be about $25. Customizing it would be about $50, probably more. The 2nd controller would be another $30. Finally the shipping and handling would be another $6 may be more. The cost to get all this would be closer to $321 about the same price they are saying it would be sold for.

JESUSFREAK
01-30-2001, 08:31 PM
I think you have a good idea but you should only be able to choose your color. It would be awsome to have a chrome XBOX and controller.

Sham365
03-13-2001, 06:08 PM
You can't say any legitimate idea is a "dumb idea".

Custom XBoxes may actually be a good thing. Besides, Nike now has a custom shoe ording scheme going where you can have words stitched on your $120 shoes for a few bucks more. I'm a ratty, poo-butt, N64 can come in different colors, why can't the XBox...?

WWF
04-14-2001, 02:18 AM
that wouldnt work

bishounen
04-14-2001, 07:37 PM
It would be great if X-Box came in different colours! I think that if they were going to do that...the outside should remain black and the X should be coloured (The little green bubble in the center should be turned into something that would contrast the colour of the X). They should name them after the elements (like a red X-Box should be called fire...)

Heh heh heh...I've thought about this a lot...:)

- bishounen

Underdog
04-14-2001, 10:28 PM
Hey bishounen! Did you see how we colored the Xbox awhile back. Check it out <A HREF="http://www.xboxaddict.com/articles/coloring_xbox/" target="_blank">here!</A> :)

Devin
04-23-2001, 01:33 PM
X-Box should have stuck with a chrome finish. It would be different than the other black plastic systems. Say like; PS2 & N64. it would have been a lot better than the plain finish of plastic. It would have been a new way to go, no one has come out with a metal game system yet.

The shape and design of the shell of the X-Box could have been way better than it is now. They (the people at Microsoft) said it was designed for the gamerz out there. So if it was why not get a gamer to design it? because I'm sure that my 5 year old cousin could do a better job.

The X-box is a totally American Made product though. Big, Bulky, and full of Power. Arogh-oh-oh (to quote Tim Allen).Where the Japanese Made products are small, compact and of high quality.

Aaron
04-25-2001, 10:15 PM
I think it would be cool.. doesnt have to be fruity colors... i would love a chrome xbox!!! :)