PDA

View Full Version : does ne1 else have this problem

kornavs19
05-14-2002, 07:33 PM
When i go to my friends house we play X-Box on his big screen HDTV. When we play we have to sit like exactly level to the t.v
u can be looking up at it and u can be looking down at it. Like no angle... Has nothing to do with X-Box but im getting a big screen and i wanted to know what i should get where it wont have that problem..... thanx

Laxeph
05-14-2002, 07:51 PM
Doesn't happen with mine, but I dunno.

wulff
05-14-2002, 08:44 PM
It must be me ...but I CANT DETERMINE YOUR PROBLEM HERE.
What your saying doesnt show me a prblem or, are describing one.

smack119
05-14-2002, 10:10 PM
i think he means you CANT sit above or below it at any angle. that is a problem with some big screen tvs. projection tv's will fade to a black screen if viewed from an angle. i think if you get a new tv though that they no longer do that. cheap ones do it, if you spend more you will get a better tv that can be viewed from many angles

LynxFX
05-14-2002, 11:38 PM
Here is some info that you can get from "The History of HDTV" on my website below:

"30 Degree TV"
In addition to the viewing distance function is added a new aspect ratio (height of the picture to the width). The width is changed from the traditional 4:3 ratio to 16:9. All this means to say the proscribed viewing distance is much closer to the screen (e.g, if the screen is 1 ft tall the proscribed viewing distance is 3 ft from the screen). The precise reason for widening the screen is to provide a 30 degree field of vision for the viewer. This occurs when viewing exactly at the proscribed distance. A 30 degree field of vision is dramatically more "real" for the viewer compared to a ten degree field customarily with NTSC (standard) at the 8 to 10 picture heights distance. The key to understanding the difference between HDTV and standard TV is that clarity is a matter only of distance. Distance relates directly to how great your field of vision is. A 30 degree field of vision for the viewer is the goal of HDTV.

Why?
Why this need for a 30 degree viewing field? This is the most critical point to understand. It was determined from scientific experiments and with specific tests at NHK that the human visual system operates in two distinct ways. One, the central portion of your vision is quite sensitive to detail. You can read or see work in front of you with great acuity. But this central portion is not very good at fast motion detection. Move something rapidly across your eyes and it is a meaningless blur. Peripheral vision just ten degrees from center begins to lose detail acuity, but is increasingly sensitive to motion. If a television program is to provide a viewer with the greater sense of reality both the acuity of the central vision and the motion detection of more peripheral vision needs to be stimulated at the same time. Past 30 degrees there is no more to be gained. Under 30 degrees and there is a dramatic fall off. I once labeled HDTV "30 degree television" to emphasize this point.

More Behind Adding Clarity?
All well made NTSC TV sets pulling in a strong well transmitted signal will look clear at some distance--usually about 8 to 10 times the height of the picture. Due to the absolute limits of NTSC the image is never clearer than what 525 scanning lines interlaced written on the face of the tube can produce. There are also numerous inherently troublesome artifacts which appear until you are at least 8 times the picture height. This means that if you had an HDTV set and an NTSC set with the same picture height you would draw back much further on the NTSC set to gain acuity. Again, using a 1 ft height example, you are at 3 ft for the HDTV and 8 ft for the NTSC set. The field of vision is 30 degrees at that distance with the HDTV, and something less than 10 degrees with the NTSC set.

DVDGNZ
05-15-2002, 03:15 AM
Even the newest HDTV's(big screens) have this problem. You just need it to be semi-dark for best results. If you go to Circuit City where their screens are in the light the dimness around the edges is really noticeable.

kornavs19
05-15-2002, 02:07 PM
thanks guys.... when the lights r on and off it happens.. I was sitting in a tall bar chair and he was sitting on the floor and it gets dark n u cant c what your doing. I thought maybe its just the HDTV. Maybe i should get a different typee of big screen???idk. but thanx. its hard to explain i geuss ill just ask the dealer.

Spaztic
05-15-2002, 02:16 PM
Originally posted by lmpbzktnkorn23
thanks guys.... when the lights r on and off it happens.. I was sitting in a tall bar chair and he was sitting on the floor and it gets dark n u cant c what your doing. I thought maybe its just the HDTV. Maybe i should get a different typee of big screen???idk. but thanx. its hard to explain i geuss ill just ask the dealer.

get the new sony 40 inch wega and you won't have this problem.....it looks sweet in its custom tv stand!

kornavs19
05-15-2002, 03:17 PM
i think im getting a 60" or a 61". im not sure.... Still gotta look around. Does ne1 reccomend a certain company....