PDA

View Full Version : Lots of questions about (not how to hook up) HUBS people who use HUB for sys link R+R

mrmp3
05-14-2002, 08:41 PM
A while back, I made the decision I'll just get a crossover cable to play Halo 8 way since noone else wants an Xbox. Well it looks like 2 more Xboxes are being bought along with Halo. So I'm considering getting a HUB off Ebay. I looked at the prices at mySimon and thought 8 port HUB for $100-$300 is ridiculous. Ebay had prices like $45 for 8 port so I thought sounds good. I want 8 port because in the future, it seems games will support more than 16 players and since more people are getting Xbox + Xbox Live I just want the extra ports just in case and also LAN games on the lots of PC's I got at my house. But before I bid I need to get some stuff straight. My bro who's in college is making it sound like I need a Ethernet port on my PC to plug the HUB into because it needs a IP number to connect everyone together. It then splits the bandwidth 4 ways. Now with a cable connection, this is gonna have 50kbps on each console which is gonna go slower than dirt. So I thought f*ck it. But I also heard some people saying somethin about plugging a HUB into the wall, plug the patch cables (which i already have) into the Xbox and HUB, and they were set. Yet they didn't mention about plugging it into the computer. Also, is there a difference between a 8 port HUB and a 10/100 8 port HUB?

So basically this is what I need to know:

Do I need to hook up the HUB to an Ethernet port in the back of the computer to have an IP # to connect the systems to?

If not, what is the name of the HUB that you plug into the wall and your set?

If so, is there anyway I can get it so that it won't divide the bandwidth into 4 resulting in 50kbps on each console?

I'm upgrading the connection later this year so I'll be able to support the 8 consoles. I know people are prob sick of these damn questions but if you could answer these I would be very thankful. BTW, I don't need links to cheap HUBS but if u know a place that sells'em real cheap let me know. Signing off...

Nato King
05-14-2002, 09:12 PM
Hey mrmp3 I think that you should take this question over to xboxaddict new form called XbConnect Technical Support (Official). I know you will get some help over there. It's
Moderated by: Inkslinger he's one of many good people here to help answer your questions on getting setup to play Xbox
Online with our software.

If you post it answers will come. :)