PDA

View Full Version : Other news about the $ cut....

DrUnKtAnK
05-15-2002, 10:15 AM
MS lops Xbox prices (in North America)
By Eurogamer.net
Posted: 15/05/2002 at 10:01 GMT

Microsoft cut the price of Xbox in North America to $199 this morning, confirming the suspicions of industry observers and analysts. The price cut puts the console at a rough £137 / €219.

Further to the hardware price drop, several of the console's software titles have been moved to a lower price bracket of $29.99, and memory cards will now run to $29.99 each.

With Controller S now on the US market, the Xbox is a very attractive proposition.

American gamers have never had it so good, and with the consoles now on a level playing field, the future for all three is very bright. Microsoft typically does not release sales figures by territory, as it told us after the Japanese and European launches, but in the case of the US where the console is now outstripping sales of the Cube, we expect that it will make an exception.

Microsoft has so far addressed two of the console’s major criticisms; controller size and price, and we understand that the company may be designing a smaller revision of the console (rather like a PlayStation-to-PSone transition), to address the third, size.

Obviously the software is not in doubt, and at $199 a lot of the console's games may start to sell it to an even greater extent.

Rumours yesterday indicated that Microsoft was replacing a few components in the console, and that another manufacturer had won the contract to supply DVD drives. This is thought to be a cost-cutting measure, but it is also expected to help the company curb piracy by changing the way vaunted mod chips will need to work.

All in all, the only thing standing between Xbox and real success now is the public's perception of the console and the company which makes it.

Source (http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/54/25286.html)

Hugh_Jass
05-15-2002, 10:58 AM
Great article!

I have no complaints about the size of the XBOX, but I would really like to see them make it smaller to put an end to that critisism.

I am also very pleased to see MS taking countermeasures against piracy by changing the hardware. That will, of course, make the classic XBOX more desirable. Hmmm...maybe I should pick up a spare now that the price has dropped.

DrUnKtAnK
05-15-2002, 11:38 AM
I am seriously thinking about it....Hell it's hard enough to hide 1 XBOX from my wife, let alone 2........:(

LynxFX
05-15-2002, 11:46 AM
I'm glad to hear that alot of games are being lowered too. That will change a big Con on my Xbox vs. PC list for getting games. :)

Glad I have an Xbox Classic too. No doubt that you will see it being labeled that way on Ebay shortly.

Belt Fed
05-15-2002, 02:37 PM
Yep i see it now>>>>>> One rare xbox classic 399.00 buyer pays shipping:eek:

Snoopy7548
05-15-2002, 06:48 PM
collectors item, lol. i hope they change the design of the box, so i can say: dont u just love the graphics? zzzzaaaaaap!!! lol:D

SeTH
05-15-2002, 07:30 PM
I took my second XBOX that wasn't opened into Wal-Mart yeterday and traded it in for $315 store credit since no one would buy it from me!!! Just in time too!!!!