PDA

View Full Version : Finally, I get an Xbox. Now which football game?

Taranis
05-15-2002, 11:06 AM
So, with the price drop, the wife has finally agreed to shut me up by buying me an Xbox. Hooray!

Now, am a huge football fan and I want to know which NFL game I should buy. I think Fever seems to be the frontrunner now, but Madden has tradition.

On the other hand, I could wait for the new crop of football games. Could someone give some release dates for those? Maybe I should just wait a few months.

Glad to finally be able to call myself a TRUE xbox addict.

Kraft
05-15-2002, 11:07 AM
I would seriously wait for the next batch of football games. Not only do you get updated rosters and what not, but now we are into our 2nd gen football games. Hopefully they have gotten a better feel for what the box is capable of and have taken better advantage of it!!!

JJaX
05-15-2002, 11:08 AM
Madden all the way. But 2003 is almost here.

Fever is very arcade like, Its more like NFL Blitz on Crack.

NFL2k2 is OK, But its to much like the DC version.

If you like hard hitting realism go with madden. The graphics arent as good as NFL2k2, But the player motion and tackles feel great. If your all about realistic footbal dynamics do yourself a favor and get madden.

|EDIT| But like Kraft said, I would wait |/EDIT|

OEM Alien
05-15-2002, 11:24 AM
get nfl2k2, don't waste your money on that madden garbage. in madden 2002 the receivers don't run their routs correctly, they stop and make the qb throw behind them on fly routs. it sucks, very unrealistic, same with fever. but in fever the qb is the problem he either throws a lob pass and its a jump ball or he zips it to the flat when he shouldn't, it's graphics are great but thats it. NFL2K2 had all the good stuff, great lead blockers, great playbooks, great receivers, great qb's. all do their job in sim like fashion. sega has always been # 1 in sports and continue to be #1 today. nfl 2k2 is your best choice. and on a personal note its the only game i play on xbox becaue all the other ones have got boring real quick, except for ssx tricky.

DZNUTZ
05-15-2002, 11:32 AM
no offense OEM alien...but u don't know diddley squat.

congrats on the xbox taranis and welcome to xba..this is the best xbox site around.

i while their all good choices...madden still holds the thrown..if u want realism...listen to my boy Jjax..he knows what hes talking about. madden is the most realistic game available when it comes to football ( if u want basketball i'd say go with segaes nba2k series, they hold the throne their, and if u like hockey stick with Ea sports nhl series)

like kraft and jjax siad thou..if ya can hold out ..i would reccomend doing so for the following reasons...2nd gen ( more enhanced) games,updated rosters, and probable online play (if your gonna suscribe to xboxlive, which i highly suggest u do , cuz its gonna be out of this world and i wouldn't mind kicking your butt all up and down the field!:eek: )

Taranis
05-15-2002, 11:40 AM
I'd love to play online but the only prob is that I don't have high-speed access out my house. I live on a farm in the middle of nowhere and I don't even have cable TV, much less high-speed internet. Hopefully, it should be in by the end of the year.

I loved Sega's NFL2K and 2K1 on the DC, but I haven't played Madden in a while to compare.

Huckleberry
05-15-2002, 11:42 AM
Originally posted by DZNUTZ

like kraft and jjax siad thou..if ya can hold out ..i would reccomend doing so for the following reasons...2nd gen ( more enhanced) games,updated rosters, and probable online play (if your gonna suscribe to xboxlive, which i highly suggest u do , cuz its gonna be out of this world and i wouldn't mind kicking your butt all up and down the field!:eek: )

oh, dz...shredding on oem like that! i agree with all of you, if that's possible. (i should be a politician). first, you should definitely wait for the new batch of games to buy something new, but you might be able to pick up a used copy of one of those first three for 20 bucks. second, you can't really go wrong with any of the three. football is one of the areas where everyone seems to have nailed it pretty well. i have played all three games, something most of the people out there HAVEN'T actually done, and i prefer 2k2. it feels less blocky to me than any of the other ones, and the since the gameplay is reasonably close between the three, i prefer the look of 2k2. 2k3 is going to be produced with espn on board, which should definitely help raise the bar.

rent all three, buy a used copy of the one YOU like best, not me or dz or jjax, and then buy the new version when it comes out later this summer.

Kraft
05-15-2002, 11:44 AM
Hey tan, have you checked with your local phone company on DSL availablity? My dad lives way out in East Jesus too, but somehow still managed to get a DSL hookup. Something about you just need to be so many miles from a hub. got me, but never hurts to ask.

Spaztic
05-15-2002, 11:44 AM
Madden is the worst football game EVER! This franchise should have been done away with! If you want a game that takes forever to play and the players run like slower then my grandma! NFL fever is where it is at. Has a 13 year dynasty. Awsome stats! Best graphics out of all the football games. Granted it is a little faster pace, but I like it! The tackles are a little overdone. In other words the hits are pretty hard! The only thing I don't like is that the secondary sometimes blows coverage pretty bad! That should be fixed in nflfever2003 though.....My advice wait for fever2003.....if you wanted a port that dosn't even test the xbox capibilities go with madden or nfl2k2. If you are thinking about going with either madden of nfl2k2 I would reccomend nfl2k2...it is hands down better then madden!

l Maximus l
05-15-2002, 11:48 AM
I'm really looking forward to Fever 2003 which will be on-line. Unless Madden or NFL2K3 are on-line :) If so, I'll go with Madden or NFL2K3.

Personally, I like Fever, but, it does lack the depth that Madden has. NFL2K2 is a beautiful game, just barely under the graphical capabilities of Fever. I own both Fever 2002 and NFL2K2 and I like NFL2K2 better. It's smoother, the gameplay is nice, and the depth is very nice. I've played Madden and liked it, but, I didn't see much of a difference, if at all, of the PS2 version of it. If you want one today, I would either go with Madden or NFL2K2 and you can probably get one for a good price at www.half.com or buy a used copy at an Electronics Boutique. I am really looking forward to the 2003 season for all of them, though :)

shererboat
05-15-2002, 12:04 PM
....id definetly wait for the 2003 lineup, i think theyre all slated for august releases......

as for the 2002 lineup, madden is where its at for me........most realistic football game ive ever played!!.......cant say much for the sega 2k series coz i never played the 2k2 for the xbox.......i enjoyed them on the dc though........

as for fever, i can "maybe" (and i emphasize maybe) see people playing it for a "blitz" style arcade game, but not for realism.........i dont think ill ever understand y people think this is more realistic than madden??

but then again, i still dont understand y people enjoy drinking natural ice either?!?!?:confused:

Taranis
05-15-2002, 12:12 PM
I think the suggestion about renting them all and then buying the one I like is really good. As is the suggestion to wait for the new crop. I'm kind of looking forward to the NCAA Football also. I love my college ball.

l Maximus l
05-15-2002, 12:14 PM
Originally posted by Taranis
I think the suggestion about renting them all and then buying the one I like is really good. As is the suggestion to wait for the new crop. I'm kind of looking forward to the NCAA Football also. I love my college ball.

Good call! College Football is another good route to hold you off until the 2003 NFL season games :)

Xtopia
05-15-2002, 12:35 PM
I'd love to play online but the only prob is that I don't have high-speed access out my house. I live on a farm in the middle of nowhere and I don't even have cable TV, much less high-speed internet. Hopefully, it should be in by the end of the year.

Hey, I live in a VERY small town! In fact, for every post Maximus has, there are two people in my town! Ya, it is tiny! But I have broadband! And in a town south of where I live (it has a population of 200 in the winter and 1200 in the summer) and they have had DSL for years! So don't lose hope, ATT and others are helping alot of "hicks" out!:)

Kraft
05-15-2002, 12:39 PM
where do you get 10k people as being in a small town? my town has 250 people in it, and that is as many people as have ever lived here! and still, there is DSL access. Hope is not lost, tan.

l Maximus l
05-15-2002, 12:46 PM
Originally posted by Xtopia

Hey, I live in a VERY small town! In fact, for every post Maximus has, there are two people in my town! Ya, it is tiny!

lol...now, that's a new perspective...lol

Xtopia
05-15-2002, 12:49 PM
lol...now, that's a new perspective...lol

It is crazy, ain't it???!!!???:eek:

Taranis
05-15-2002, 01:12 PM
It's less the size of my town and more the fact that I live on a farm outside of town surrounded by lots of other farms. But, I have seen the cable trucks down at the end of our road, so maybe I can get cable access soon. Cross your fingers for me.