PDA

View Full Version : Morrowind advice please.

cracchus
05-15-2002, 08:53 PM
I need some help regarding whether to get Morrowind or not.

I like what I'm hearing about the game. It looks great, the reviews are terrific, and I like the idea of living an alternate life in an open-ended ("non-linear") way. And I sure need a game or two to tide me over until the fall.

But here are my problems. First, I'm worried about how much time it will consume, in order to learn how to play the game, and learn how to do reasonably well at it (I don't mean how long it'll take to complete it, I mean the length of the learning curve). I never played an RPG before. Given the complexity of Morrowind, I assume I wouldn't be very good at it and would need a long time to get up to speed. I'm 40 years old and not a very quick study anyhow (my neurons are rusty). I have a job, a family, and only about an hour or so a night for gaming. So I'm concerned that Morrowind will ask more time of me than I can give.

I thought about renting it, to see if I liked it first. But I was told that was a bad idea, since you really don't get to experience Morrowind very well in five (or ten) days.

Advice, anyone?

RadRider
05-15-2002, 10:18 PM
Renting is an excellent idea, and here's why: You were completely right in saying Morrowind will take a while to get used to. Since you've never played and Elder Scrolls game before, I assume it will probably take you a full rental period to grow accustomed to the system.

I'll try to point out a few things for you right now to make it easier:
Choose your major skills wisely (if you make a custom character). Practicing these skills will increase the level of each individual skill. By increasing levels of your major skills, you increase the level of your main character, adding points to your attributes. This is very important to remember!

Shop around. When buying items, remember that there are different store types: a bookstore, armor store and general (or trader) store. Plus, if you know certain NPC's, you can trade with them; often for better deals, although they tend to carry less money. An armor store won't necessarily pay higher for armor than a general store, just like an armor store won't necessarily sell better armor for cheaper than a general store will.

Fighting is hard! If you're fighting enemies in a cave, don't be afraid to step out before you die, then rest until you're fully healed, then head back in to fight again! Although the enemy will regain health as well, it is far easier to gain levels (if your fighting style is a major skill) by fighting the enemy over and over. Plus, it gives you time to develop a good fighting style.

Hope that helps, and after your rental period, I strongly recommend you BUY THIS GAME! That is all. :)

Dre
05-16-2002, 12:27 PM
If you've played Halo.. the control scheme should be very familiar.

There are many pre-made classes that already have chosen attributes/skills. I recommend choosing one of these your first time around since skill complementation is usually very critical in games such as these. Having a character that can't do much won't be very interesting now will it?

3rd, since you have a hard-drive on the xbox, its not like you will be losing anyything by renting it first.

Lastly, there is something important about RPG's such as this one that many people fail to see. Its not about having uber-characters, uber-weapons and uber-armors.. its about playing a character. Living a story! As long as you remember that, you should have fun! I for one plan on playing a wizard and hardly ever fighting.. to each his own!

Bundy
05-16-2002, 01:53 PM
I have played on the pc, and the game was very easy to adapt to. I was very apprehensive before i tried it out. But it is great.

Hey dre, what does uber mean? I have seen that in some other posts.

Dre
05-16-2002, 02:00 PM
I think it comes from the german language Bundy. I guess you could say it means "very powerful"

Bundy
05-16-2002, 02:01 PM
that is what i figured.. but wanted to make sure.

cracchus
05-16-2002, 05:23 PM
Yeah, it means "over" or "above."

Thanks for the advice, radrider, Dre, and Bundy. I think I'll give it a rent. I'll probably buy it eventually -- I love the idea of playing a character (like Dre said). I was just worried about how much mental effort would be required for me to get into the game.

I'm glad you said what you did about apprehensiveness, Bundy. One of the things that intimidates me is this business of creating a custom character. I have no idea about the classes, or about what skills are best for what character, how the skills work together, etc. Reading about it was giving me a headache. I think what I'll do is either pick one of the pre-formed characters, or have one generated based on the personality questionnaire.

So thanks for the input. I'll be renting it, at least, when it comes out. Which will be ... real ... soon ... now .....

Toast
05-16-2002, 06:14 PM
i have played daggerfall for like two minutes but i didnt get much of an impression. i really hope morrowind is not as glitchy as morrowind. I hope it lives up to its hype.

RadRider
05-16-2002, 07:36 PM
As glitchy as Daggerfall you mean? Well it's not. I've run into bugs with Morrowind, yes. But, that's likely what the Xbox version's delay is from. The only bugs I've run into is
1) getting stuck once in a while by jumping into a stupid spot
2) some AI glitches that probably won't be fixed, but happen rarely anyway
3) an occasional crash back to the OS (which will obviously be fixed)

Other than that, there hasn't been a single problem, whereas with Daggerfall, that game kept crashing every half hour at least, plus other bugs and exploits in the game. I guess Morrowind isn't quite as epic as Daggerfall is either though.

OppiumNitrates
05-17-2002, 12:19 AM
hummm. . . an hour a night though i cant see just one hour a night playing this game. . .i know ill prob be addicted