PDA

View Full Version : EA chooses PS2 over Xbox

Toonz
05-15-2002, 09:29 PM
I cut and pasted this from another site

No. 1 video game publisher Electronic Arts Inc. on Wednesday said its franchise "Madden NFL" football series will support the launch of online play for Sony Corp.'s PlayStation 2 (news - web sites) later this year, but will not do so for Microsoft Corp.'s Xbox.

The two companies have touted online gameplay as the next key frontier for home video gaming because of the ongoing revenue potential as well as a way to turn the game console into an Internet gateway for the TV. Both are expected to heavily promote their services in the coming weeks.

Redwood City, California-based Electronic Arts said "Madden NFL 2003" will support the PS2's online functions, which will launch in August with the retail availability of a dual dial-up/broadband adapter for $39.99.

However, the same support will not be initially forthcoming for "Xbox Live," Microsoft's upcoming online service for the Xbox, which already has a broadband adapter built in.

"We are still in discussions, but at this point it does not appear that EA Games or that 'Madden Football' will support the online features of the Xbox this year," EA spokesman Jeff Brown told Reuters.

Both Sony and Microsoft cut the prices of their consoles this week, to $199 from $299. While Sony does not plan to charge for online play, leaving that choice to publishers, Microsoft reportedly plans to operate its own gaming network and charge a monthly fee.

The PS2 has a North American installed base of more than 11 million units, while the Xbox, which came out a year later, has an estimated base of more than 2 million units.

The third major game console, Nintendo Co. Ltd.'s GameCube, is already $199. Adapters for online play for the GameCube are expected this fall.

The news comes as the game industry prepares for next week's Electronic Entertainment Expo, or E3, in Los Angeles.

The show, the industry's most important of the year, is expected to focus in large part on the three consoles' online gaming initiatives, and numerous publishers are preparing announcements of online titles for the show.

Sales of video game hardware, software and accessories topped $9 billion last year in the United States and are expected to hit a record again in 2002.

Industry analysts have said the game business is in the early part of a multiyear growth cycle, with record revenue expectations driven largely by sales of the new consoles and associated games and peripherals.

Those analysts have said Microsoft might have some natural advantage in adding early subscribers because the online access is built in, and historically game console owners have been reluctant to purchase major add-ons for their consoles.

Kooster
05-15-2002, 09:31 PM
Dont like that game anyway

OEM Alien
05-15-2002, 09:33 PM
if sony lets people play online for free, and xbox charges money, xbox is screwed. :( :confused: :eek: :mad:

Kooster
05-15-2002, 09:45 PM
Originally posted by OEM Alien
if sony lets people play online for free, and xbox charges money, xbox is screwed. :( :confused: :eek: :mad: No way! You have to buy a $40 modem to play PS2 online, and a $100 hard drive to play big games like FFXI. PS2 will surely also have subscription payments. I know Japan does.

OEM Alien
05-15-2002, 09:52 PM
if sony had a heart and i had a bowie knife i'd stick it right in that beeyatch! :mad:

sinizuh
05-15-2002, 09:55 PM
oh no! not EA! :rolleyes: Sega Sports games are much better than EA sport games

Crazy Joe
05-15-2002, 10:33 PM
doesn't surprise me in the least, why would EA go to Xbox, that would mean they would have to compete with NFL Fever, which is certainly Xbox only. Maybe EA would win, but this way they know they will get a higher percentage of PS2 players than they would on Xbox

silvertrace
05-15-2002, 10:47 PM
i'm a little bummed about this since i'm not a fan of NFL Fever, but i can understand why EA did it...........

$$$:( $$$:( $$$:( $$$

LynxFX
05-15-2002, 11:01 PM
Yeah EA, the only company to put out an Xbox game that doesn't even meet the minimum specs of the Xbox. ie James Bond Agent Under Fire and its lack of 480p support through most of the game.

I sure won't miss your games.

mack10
05-15-2002, 11:03 PM
EA can keep Madden 2003 on PS2 for all I care, I gave up on that series a long time ago.

Belt Fed
05-15-2002, 11:12 PM
Haha they said 40 bucks for dial up/broadband kit. all those kids with aol will clog up and never be able to play online. you cant play online with dial up!!!!! Lag like molasses in the winter time. 56k will keep those with broadband from having a good game.:cool:

dave_m123
05-16-2002, 05:14 AM
I think EA will be charging a subscription fee as they said they are after additional revenue which is no real surprised considering what half assed attempts at games they spew out every year.

How can they support a console that requires an addon to be purchased for it over a console with an adaptor built in?

Oh well no great loss IMO they never made many good sports games.

Spaztic
05-16-2002, 09:36 AM
Thank god! Madden sucks, I hope the ps2 owners enjoy the crappy games they are getting!

OppiumNitrates
05-16-2002, 10:07 AM
never really liked football video games but after this years NHL 2002. . . . EA will not be missed by me i mean com'n it a hockey game and the stupid anouncer talks about everything but. and the option to tuen off color guy dont even work. . .suckers

Hugh_Jass
05-16-2002, 10:07 AM
There really isn't room for three sports titles in the same genre each year. SEGA and MS have XBOX covered. EA can't compete.

l Maximus l
05-16-2002, 11:10 AM
Personally, I think Electronic Arts is being foolish not to make Madden 2003 on-line on both systems. I don't think they became the largest game developer in the world for foolish actions like this. I wouldn't be surprised if EA actually makes Madden on-line on the XBox as well. There's so much time between now and then.

darianX
05-16-2002, 03:27 PM
Actually, EA are a bunch of Sony bootlickers. They're blowing all this smoke around about "privacy" because MS will run everything thru their servers. That's how Xbox Live will be set up so that it's simple and quick to find a game and play it. Privacy has nothing to do with it at all. EA wants THEIR games played on THEIR servers so that THEY get all the cash. Screw them...the Microsoft and Sega sports games are better anyway.

DZNUTZ
05-16-2002, 03:35 PM
sheesh i knew some of u didn't like madden ..but good lord i had no idea?!?!

anyways..i personally will miss madden and nhl2002...which are imo the best titles in the respected sports. i'm not worried about the basketball genre..because i think sega wins in that dept.
oh well if it comes down to either buying madden and nhl (EA) for online access for ps2...or other titles for online access thru xbox...it looks like i won't be being madden 03 and nhl(EA) 03 next year.

guess i'll just have to wait till the following year , becuase i'm confident by then ...EA sports titles will be online thru xboxlive.

l Maximus l
05-16-2002, 03:41 PM
Originally posted by DZNUTZ
sheesh i knew some of u didn't like madden ..but good lord i had no idea?!?!

anyways..i personally will miss madden and nhl2002...which are imo the best titles in the respected sports. i'm not worried about the basketball genre..because i think sega wins in that dept.
oh well if it comes down to either buying madden and nhl (EA) for online access for ps2...or other titles for online access thru xbox...it looks like i won't be being madden 03 and nhl(EA) 03 next year.

guess i'll just have to wait till the following year , becuase i'm confident by then ...EA sports titles will be online thru xboxlive.

I wouldn't be surprised if EA actually DOES make Madden on-line via XBox Live. I guess time will tell :) EA, as you know, certainly is not full of a bunch of idiots.

wweomaniac
05-16-2002, 03:50 PM
I love MAdden a hella lot more than Fever but the onl problem is is that I'm going to be buying the XBOX live subscription. So I guess I'll HAFTA buy Fever... or 2k3.

I'll misss Madden. I hope PS2 network fails so madden series go live on xbox.

PROUDXBOXOWNER
05-16-2002, 05:26 PM
ea sucks anyways.

RadRider
05-16-2002, 06:59 PM
Just another example of why I don't like EA.

Marc
05-18-2002, 02:37 AM
There is no substitute for Madden, but EA has been ****ing me off lately. I reviewed NHL 2002 and said that the announcer wasn't that bad. That was after twenty hours of gameplay. After I finished the whole season I had grown sick and tired of being sick and tired of listening to the lame assed color commentary and had turned it off. That was my bad, but moves like this one have been getting on my nerves. I hope Maximus is right and they come through with online play, but if not it looks like NFL2K3 for me. Anyone know if Sega makes a college football game?

mack10
05-18-2002, 05:32 AM
Yea SEGA has a NCAA college football game it comes out the beging of August on XBOX,ps2 and GC.

CharlieHustle
05-18-2002, 06:28 PM
I understand exactly whats you guys are saying. I have madden 2002, and i love it. I thought that their gameplay was pretty much the same. I got it basically for the fact that, their franchise mode is way deeper than nfl2k2's. As far as next falls football game, if sega sports implement nfl2k2 franchise mode somewhat like thier baseball game(as far as more in depth), with online play, then im sold. I think that graphics will be mind blowing already for both games, so gameplay, franchise mode, and online play is whats gonna distinguish which game is stayin on the shelf and which is coming home with me. Also ea has less competition on the ps2 with their football titles(only sega sports, compared to sega sports and nfl feveron the BOX).