PDA

View Full Version : Usa & UK Region DVD code

EXBoxer
05-16-2002, 05:27 PM
There is a code here www.worldxbox.co.uk that you program onto a small modchip yourself and after fitting 5 wires it allows you to play all region DVD's with both UK and USA DVD plugin remote

EXBoxer
05-17-2002, 07:04 AM
Geez I thought someone would have a comment on this as to what they thought :(

BCan
05-17-2002, 08:22 AM
I think the thing is more of a PAL/NTSC breaker. So, it will allow PAL, which has at least Zone 2 (Europe) and 4 (Australia/New Zealand) and NTSC (Zone 1 - US - at least)

Hard to tell, all Zone 2 and 4 discs are dual zoned, ie have Zone 2 and 4 coded on them - Took me playing it on WinDVD to see this when it asked me which zone I wanted, to see if XBOX's are zoned according to DVD zoning areas.

Just wait until Australia finishes with the Sony court case against the PS2, and the mod chip Sony hates. The ACCC - Australian Consumer Competition Commission, has an arguement that by zoning equipment, and games, it removes the choice for the consumer to buy as they wish. They contend that the chip is putting in a feature that the PS2 should already have, that it should play games from anywhere in the world.

They have a fair chance of winning, but will takes years to come to a conclusion. Could also mean the end of DVD zoning too, since the majority of copyright laws for music, film, video, etc in most countries are all based on consultation with the major companies involved in the field, so that their copyright is protected. That is so that breaking copyright is the same everywhere. Remember, it was the film studios that wanted Zones, no one else!!

Dre
05-17-2002, 08:41 AM
Originally posted by BCan
I think the thing is more of a PAL/NTSC breaker. So, it will allow PAL, which has at least Zone 2 (Europe) and 4 (Australia/New Zealand) and NTSC (Zone 1 - US - at least)

Hard to tell, all Zone 2 and 4 discs are dual zoned, ie have Zone 2 and 4 coded on them - Took me playing it on WinDVD to see this when it asked me which zone I wanted, to see if XBOX's are zoned according to DVD zoning areas.

Just wait until Australia finishes with the Sony court case against the PS2, and the mod chip Sony hates. The ACCC - Australian Consumer Competition Commission, has an arguement that by zoning equipment, and games, it removes the choice for the consumer to buy as they wish. They contend that the chip is putting in a feature that the PS2 should already have, that it should play games from anywhere in the world.

They have a fair chance of winning, but will takes years to come to a conclusion. Could also mean the end of DVD zoning too, since the majority of copyright laws for music, film, video, etc in most countries are all based on consultation with the major companies involved in the field, so that their copyright is protected. That is so that breaking copyright is the same everywhere. Remember, it was the film studios that wanted Zones, no one else!!

I thought it also had to do with TV's. I thought the PAL tv's had a hundred or so more lines so the signal gives a different quality. Then again.. I might be on crack :D hehee, anyone know more on this subject?

Hugh_Jass
05-17-2002, 08:49 AM
It's already been posted.

BCan
05-17-2002, 09:11 AM
What I was getting at is that the XBOX is most likely to be zoned to what ever zones have PAL or NTSC, and plays those zones, so what I assume the chip would do is to allow PAL machines to play NTSC games/DVD's, rather than adding other PAL zones to the PAL machines.

I think that the games are Zoned like DVD's, so that they can't play in systems who don't read the correct zone. This is the contentious part of the PS2/XBOX/Gamecube way games are only able to be played in certain countries. With PAL, we should have no problems with running NTSC games, but when it isn't the TV standard that stops the game from running, but a DVD region code, it is using one piece of technology meant for DVD movies, being used in a game console to stop a game running. Just because it uses DVD media, doesn't give them the right to apply DVD movie region codes to the games....

Ever since this Sony case went to court, DVD players available in Australia are multi-zoned again, when about 2 years ago, they were meant to be phased out, due to the supposed legal requirements to do so.

LynxFX
05-17-2002, 10:17 AM
The DVD region code is soft-programmed into the Xbox as soon as you plug in the DVD dongle. If you have a Region 1 Xbox that you bought in the states and you buy a Region 2 (UK) DVD dongle and plug it in, your Xbox will be softcoded into playing only Region 2 DVD's. Xbox games will still be Region1.

http://www.xboxaddict.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=13436

EXBoxer
05-18-2002, 12:58 PM
The DVD region code is soft-programmed into the Xbox as soon as you plug in the DVD dongle. If you have a Region 1 Xbox that you bought in the states and you buy a Region 2 (UK) DVD dongle and plug it in, your Xbox will be softcoded into playing only Region 2 DVD's. Xbox games will still be Region1.

Yes thats true but once done it's locked to that region, what this does is enable you to be able to play any region as long as you have a dvd remote from that region.