PDA

View Full Version : designers of Everquest with Microsoft now

thunderkiss2k1
05-16-2002, 05:59 PM
May 16, 2002
NEWS
Microsoft Teams Up With Sigil Games Online

Lead designers of Everquest come to Xbox, more inside!

Games Online Inc. Sigil Games Online was formed by two of the game industry's most renowned designers, Brad McQuaid, co-creator of the revolutionary, massively multiplayer online role-playing game "EverQuest*," and Jeff Butler, former producer of the EverQuest Live and Expansion teams.

"This relationship will further strengthen Microsoft's position in the industry as a premier publisher and incubator of high-quality games and innovative content," said Stuart Moulder, general manager at Microsoft Game Studios. "Brad and Jeff's skill in creating compelling and immersive gaming worlds, combined with our commitment to supporting our development partners, will create a rich opportunity to develop exciting new game environments and experiences." "This is a match made in heaven," said McQuaid, CEO of Sigil Games Online. "We couldn't have found a better publisher. Microsoft understands our ideas and goals, is committed to creating a superior gaming experience, and has the industry expertise to make it happen." Specific details regarding content and timing will be announced later.

About Sigil Games Online Sigil Online Games is led by Brad McQuaid and Jeff Butler, two of the key figures in the production of the runaway hit "EverQuest," the most popular massively multiplayer online role-playing game. Based in San Diego, the company is dedicated to the production of massively multiplayer games that provide the best community gaming experience technologically possible. More information about Sigil Games, including job postings, is available at http://www.sigilgames.com/

MidniteArrow
05-16-2002, 06:14 PM
This is good news for us MUDders. I hope they do something grand in the MMORPG genre. I just want to do some major levelling on my 55" HDTV. I want it so bad I can taste it...

MidniteArrow
05-16-2002, 06:50 PM
I hate everquest as well. But not for the reason you may think. EQ is an abbreviation. It stands for EQuipment. Then Everquest had to come along and screw it all up. Now everyone in all the muds keeps asking me why I keep talking about getting some decent Everquest.

P.S.: I never played the game, but them coming, IMO, will only help.

OppiumNitrates
05-16-2002, 07:02 PM
never played everquest but getting 2 guys that r a big part of an online roleplaying game cant be bad

btw
does MMORPG stand for Masive mulitiplayer online Role-playing game

and whats the Muds??

Kortiz
05-16-2002, 07:55 PM
Everquest on a console is ignorant.......the PC is the only place for that game.....it wont be the same either...it will be oldworld only, maybe since the hardrive is there but that will take up 2gigs or more just for that game.....all in all i wanna keep EQ on PC......im over a year in experience in EQ.....i hardly doubt it will be any better for xbox.....and the fact that VERANT SUCK DONKEY BALLS!
GMs suck....they suck SUCK SUCK SUCK SUCK SUCK....had an encounter with a GM that wasnt good, it was the games fualt and they couldnt do anything to fix it.....anyway that is a whole nother can of worms...but anyway, it will prob increase sales a bit, but i dont think it will change peoples minds to buy an xbox.

****** im rambling again.

faceoff508
05-16-2002, 08:11 PM
Personnaly I don tlike Everquest but a lot of other people do.. so it might convert some people from a PS2 to an Xbox!

Kortiz
05-16-2002, 08:40 PM
it wont

MidniteArrow
05-16-2002, 09:01 PM
Originally posted by OppiumNitrates
btw
does MMORPG stand for Masive mulitiplayer online Role-playing game

and whats the Muds??

Yes, you got MMORPG right. MUD stands for Multi User Dungeon. It's the general term for the multiplayer role playing games adopted when the games were first played on the internet via the text-based telnet type games. Another version of this acronym used to describe the same family of entities is Multi Undergraduate Destroyer since these games tended to make some of the lesser intelligent persons on college campuses skip classes (and even exams) to level up their characters.

MidniteArrow
05-16-2002, 09:04 PM
Originally posted by ChickenSHHHH
Everquest on a console is ignorant.......the PC is the only place for that game.....

I disagree based on the fact that the Xbox is basically just a specifically configured PC. The main drawback I see is no keyboard. This may not be a big deal if the voice over the internet works well. If it doesn't, we'll need some sort of keyboard interface for any MMORPG to work out.

OppiumNitrates
05-16-2002, 11:47 PM
Originally posted by MidniteArrow

Yes, you got MMORPG right. MUD stands for Multi User Dungeon. It's the general term for the multiplayer role playing games adopted when the games were first played on the internet via the text-based telnet type games. Another version of this acronym used to describe the same family of entities is Multi Undergraduate Destroyer since these games tended to make some of the lesser intelligent persons on college campuses skip classes (and even exams) to level up their characters.

thanx for the info

LoL i can see how somehting like that could effect college students

I disagree based on the fact that the Xbox is basically just a specifically configured PC. The main drawback I see is no keyboard. This may not be a big deal if the voice over the internet works well. If it doesn't, we'll need some sort of keyboard interface for any MMORPG to work out.

i dont know MS is making sure all Online games support the voice comm so not only would the communication be easier cauz u dont have to type but the interaction is more realistic since you hear the voice of the player u r communicating with. . . .who needs a key board

MidniteArrow
05-17-2002, 12:01 AM
Originally posted by OppiumNitrates

i dont know MS is making sure all Online games support the voice comm so not only would the communication be easier cauz u dont have to type but the interaction is more realistic since you hear the voice of the player u r communicating with. . . .who needs a key board

I agree that voice is better - as long as it works well.

Hugh_Jass
05-17-2002, 08:46 AM
I'm not an Everquest fan, either. But I'm always glad to hear that new developers have joined the XBOX fold.