PDA

View Full Version : Official Sega World Series Baseball Thread

KJdashocka
05-16-2002, 08:17 PM
How many of u are gonna buy World Series Baseball? How many of you are diehard baseball fans? I'm from Milwaukee and i gotta play baseball games cuz the brewers suck so ****ing bad. Anyways i love baseball and i cant wait for this game. IT LOOKS AWESOME!!

maneatingcow
05-16-2002, 08:29 PM
Post up your impressions/reviews of Sega Sport's latest XBox title, World Series Baseball.

Don't forget to submit your reviews to the site - It could help you win BIG! :eek:

Punkbob
05-16-2002, 08:56 PM
I don't consider myself a "diehard" baseball fan. I rarely even watch it on tv. But I like baseball games, and this one looks really good. I'm pickin' it up next week.

faceoff508
05-16-2002, 08:58 PM
I dont like baseball games!

stingu
05-16-2002, 09:40 PM
I love baseball, but I will most likely just pick up games starting very soon that will have online play. Even though XBox live has not launched, why didn't they make this game with an online component? That would have been awesome.

CharlieHustle
05-16-2002, 10:33 PM
I am definately there with this baseball game. As long as it is nothing like last years DC version, where the fielding sucked, and it had an arcadey feel to it. It will not be returned that same day. Hell, i wasnt even considering this game until i read about the franchise mode(if they pull this off it will be innovative), and the work they put into the gameplay.

OEM Alien
05-16-2002, 11:19 PM
Originally posted by KJdashocka
How many of u are gonna buy World Series Baseball? How many of you are diehard baseball fans? I'm from Milwaukee and i gotta play baseball games cuz the brewers suck so ****ing bad. Anyways i love baseball and i cant wait for this game. IT LOOKS AWESOME!! oh hell yes! SEGA WORLD SERIES BASEBALL (only on xbox) is going to be the best game this month!!!!!
hunter... ha!
morrrowind... is it even coming out???
haha!
SEGA WSB IS THA ONE TO OWN!:)

Hugh_Jass
05-17-2002, 08:30 AM
I haven't played a baseball game since Hardball on the Commodore 64.

Kraft
05-17-2002, 08:34 AM
Originally posted by Hugh_Jass
I haven't played a baseball game since Hardball on the Commodore 64.

Oh my god that game was friggin awesome!!! I had it on the same disk as summer and winter olympics 1 and 2 and in my opinion, the greatest commodor64 game ever: ghostbusters.

Casper
05-17-2002, 08:50 AM
Yea, as you can see in my sig, I am a diehard baseball fan, and I will be buying WSB, no doubt. I tried ASB and it sucked, but I liked Triple Play (mainly cuz the parks are realistic - visiting team hits one out at Wrigley and the fans throw it back). The only problem that I have is that none of my friends will play me cuz I always want the Yankees, and just like real life, they are that dam good:cool:

Shiz_96
05-18-2002, 02:09 PM
Is it out yet or coming in a few days still?

hulkamaniac1
05-18-2002, 10:55 PM
go 2 www.baseballsimcentral.com and www.operationsports.com go 2 the forums there and all ue wsb2k3 question will be awnsered by a guy named fatpitcher,,,,he worked on the game

MixMasta
05-18-2002, 11:11 PM
im not a baseball fan but ive heard good things about wsb

Punkbob
05-18-2002, 11:57 PM
Coming soon. Like May 22nd or somethin.

smashnp934
05-19-2002, 12:50 AM
Originally posted by KJdashocka
How many of u are gonna buy World Series Baseball? How many of you are diehard baseball fans? I'm from Milwaukee and i gotta play baseball games cuz the brewers suck so ****ing bad. Anyways i love baseball and i cant wait for this game. IT LOOKS AWESOME!!

Haha, my boys the Cincinnati Reds have kicked your guys' asses 7 games in a row, LoL. It's alright though, Sexton is one hella player and future star.

smashnp934
05-19-2002, 12:53 AM
Originally posted by casper
Yea, as you can see in my sig, I am a diehard baseball fan, and I will be buying WSB, no doubt. I tried ASB and it sucked, but I liked Triple Play (mainly cuz the parks are realistic - visiting team hits one out at Wrigley and the fans throw it back). The only problem that I have is that none of my friends will play me cuz I always want the Yankees, and just like real life, they are that dam good:cool:

No no...they aren't THAT damn good. I do recall the World Series last year =).

Also, money can buy anything. Everyone is selling their soul to the devil (Steinbrenner). They would not be shiyat if they did not buy every eXpensive ball player in the league they could afford.

Also, just to **** you off (haha), the Mets are so much better lol.

BORNGD
05-19-2002, 01:33 AM
i can't wait for this game, maybe the Dodgers can actually win a pennet again :)

PROUDXBOXOWNER
05-19-2002, 07:33 PM
Originally posted by smashnp934

No no...they aren't THAT damn good. I do recall the World Series last year =).

the Mets are so much better lol.
100 % agreed

tWoTOMA
05-19-2002, 08:43 PM
Not only am I a diehard baseball fan, I'm a a diehard Sega Sports fan. Acclaim's All Star Baseball was the only decent game this year, but it can't hold a candle to World Series, graphically. And what other game let's you hire managers and run your franchise on a realistic team budget, rather than a league wide salary cap?

Casper
05-20-2002, 03:41 PM
So last year was a lucky 1 for the D-Backs :( , and an unlucky 1 for the Yanks. I was there for 3 games, and 2 in the ALCS vs. Seattle (gotta love the Bleacher Creatures:D ) and the crowd was soooo amazing, just SOOO loud:eek: .

But anyways, the whole $$ issue is a non-topic. If you live in the city with the largest sports market in the world, of course you can afford to "buy" your team.:rolleyes: But learn some things man, the Mets bought more players this year than the Yanks, by far! We have the best farm system in the MLB (Soriano, Jeter, Bernie & Gerald Williams, Posada, Pettite, Nick Johnson, Spencer). Who's the last person that came up through the Mets farm, or don't you remember?;)

Anyways, we just got done spanking the Twins, now to the Blue Jays...game on man....Subway Series in 2 weeks baby! I'll be there for that one!:cool:

hulkamaniac1
05-20-2002, 04:02 PM
yes wsb2k3 is reviewed at www.gamepro.com im buyin this game 4 sure,,,great reviews , simply amazin...

go leafs go

Xbox Owner
05-20-2002, 05:17 PM
its called a preview:rolleyes:

Laxeph
05-20-2002, 05:20 PM
Wow, we got a genius on our hands.

hulkamaniac1
05-20-2002, 07:17 PM
yah it says review,,,,,,buyin it tommorow....nice sig....but that sig is me,,,BROTHER

Shiz_96
05-21-2002, 02:15 AM
This is definately coming out the 21st?

johnstorm83
05-21-2002, 04:01 PM
Originally posted by casper
The only problem that I have is that none of my friends will play me cuz I always want the Yankees, and just like real life, they are that dam good:cool:

Not starting another WAGON debate, but how easy is it for anyone to say they're a Yankee's fan.

And im not saying there isnt genuine NYY fans out there, but could I hear one time about how a Padres fan feels about any new games.

I saw a Brew-Crew fans post earlier, I almost felt like throwing the bugger a parade. How hard is it to admit such a thing?!

Personally I'm gonna rent that game and enjoy Jacobs Field as much as I did being there in 99 for a Tigers game.

GO TRIBE!

Oh yeah, save my own assa here. The gamescreens I've seen have looked spectacular, im just hoping its not another bust like Ken Griffey Jr Baseball 64 :(

Shiz_96
05-22-2002, 01:44 PM
You guys gotta get this game. If there's people (who've played it) who don't think that this is the best baseball game available on any system let me know. The animations alone are worth the $50. This is probably the best baseball game ever, best I've ever played anyway. You'll understand when you play and you can't stop replaying the infield outs and double plays. Let me know what you guys think.

robnyack
05-23-2002, 05:35 PM
in short.....excellent looking baseball sim. great graphics, great stat tracking, and great player ratings. The ratings force you to consider the leftie/rightie matchups that other baseball games barely even take into consideration (except Highheat on the pc). Great stadiums, great player models with signature characteristics. So many excellent things in this game....and yet, there is..."the flaw".

There is one HUGE flaw. Practically a gamekiller. You cannot throw to your cuttoff men. Oh my god. I still cannot believe it's true. Someone tell me it's not true!!! Such a basic fundemental part of the game of baseball and you can't throw to your cuttoff men. Stunned. Unforgivable.

Xbox Owner
05-26-2002, 11:12 AM
best baseball game ever:D

robnyack
05-26-2002, 09:32 PM
I still think Highheat 2002 for the pc has the distinction of best baseball ever, but, this is definately the best baseball game for a game console that I can recall.

Tripleplay, Homerun King, ASB 2003.....don't bother. If you are a fan of true baseball and must have a baseball game for the game console, get WSB. Although it's flawed, it is still far better than anything else out there.

Shiz_96
05-26-2002, 11:02 PM
It hurts watchin the cpu throw to cut-off men when you know you can't do the same. Other than that this game is perfect. I haven't had more fun playing baseball.

BORNGD
05-26-2002, 11:52 PM
U CAN THROW TO THE CUTOFF MAN :) just keep tapping the Y button while the ball is heading to the base u were throwing it too

Shiz_96
05-27-2002, 12:33 AM
Originally posted by BORNGD
U CAN THROW TO THE CUTOFF MAN :) just keep tapping the Y button while the ball is heading to the base u were throwing it too

That won't work but I wish I did. Besides, Y is the 2nd base button. If you repeatedly tap the 2nd base button after the ball is thrown, how can that make it go anywhere but 2nd?

Siner
05-27-2002, 08:41 AM
I've thrown to the cut-off man many times, you have to press any of the base buttons when the ball is in catching distance of the cut-off man, like when its goin right by him. I've also seen somewhere where ppl were wishing it was a future throw type system on the game where when you press the button of a base b4 the ball gets there it will throw to the base a little more quicker...where its in the game also, just have to press it slightly b4 the ball is caught.

Shiz_96
05-27-2002, 08:48 AM
Originally posted by Siner
I've thrown to the cut-off man many times, you have to press any of the base buttons when the ball is in catching distance of the cut-off man, like when its goin right by him. I've also seen somewhere where ppl were wishing it was a future throw type system on the game where when you press the button of a base b4 the ball gets there it will throw to the base a little more quicker...where its in the game also, just have to press it slightly b4 the ball is caught.

You're right. I've been testing this over and over again in 2-player games and it does work sometimes. However, there should be a description of this in the manual, there's nothing on this matter at all. You need to be able to use cut-off men on a regular basis.
Why can't they just use the black and white buttons that are not used in the game?

robnyack
05-27-2002, 09:23 AM
pressing the Y button while the ball is in the air and before it reaches the cutoff guy does SOMETIMES work. I have no idea why, it's not even memtioned in the manual, but, it does, on occassion work.

It's a problem (major, in my mind), but you can sorta combat it by hitting the Y button. The cpu does not even always hit it's cutoffs like they should.

There is actually a greater problem, at least from what I can tell, and that is alot of times, the players do not move to where they should on the play, so many times there is not cutoff man. I've watched alot of replays, and if you watch the infield on balls hit to the OF, there are alot of times when no one goes out to be cutoff man.

To develop and serious baseball game, and to screw up one of the most basic fundemental parts of the game is simply beyond my comprehension.

Again, it's the best baseball game for the console out there, but, beware, it does have some things wrong that start to annoy the hell out of you.

Before I go, one other problem...a presentation problem. I love the player ratings. They are exactly what you need when considering pinch running (ratings tell you if the guy on the bench is faster) , pinch hitting (ratings tell you if the guy on the bench he hits lefties/righties better) , or bringing in another pitcher (ratings tell you if your bullpen has someone better against a leftie/rightie). Love it. This is what baseball is all about. HOWEVER, during the game, you have no access to this information. Kills me.

Hell if you are thinkin of making a pitching change, no where are you even told what side of the plate the next couple batters swing from. Very frustrating. The info I've craved is in this game, but, not available to me when I need it most...when trying to make the right move in the middle of a game!!!!

grrrrr.....oh, what a game this almost was!

Shiz_96
05-27-2002, 09:48 AM
I figured out how the cut-off works and how to explain it.
1.It will only work when there is a man crossing the path of the the thrown ball.
Ex. A throw from left field to 3rd base has no man in between, thus you cannot cut-off the throw. Same as RF to 1st base, CF to 2nd base.
A throw from left field to 1st however, has 2 men between (2nd baseman and Shortstop) and depending on the angle, one of these 2 can cut-off the throw. Same as right field to 3rd base.
Sometimes if the center fielder is deep enough and has an angle that allows a player to get in between, you can even cut-off his throw to 1st or to 3rd.

2. Here's how to do it.
If you throw the ball from LF to 1st and you decide you want to cut it off on the way you have 3 options:
a)Keep tapping Y to have one of your men cut it off and then throw it to 2nd.
b)Keep tapping X to have one of your men cut it off and throw it to 3rd.
c)Keep tapping A to have one of your men cut it off and throw it home.

If you throw the ball from RF to 3rd and you decide you want to cut it off on the way you have 3 options:
a)Keep tapping Y to have one of your men cut it off and then throw it to 2nd.
b)Keep tapping B to have one of your men cut it off and throw it to 1st.
c)Keep tapping A to have one of your men cut it off and throw it home.

Trust me, it does work. I been up playing all night. Any more questions just ask. I still can't believe they don't explain this at all in the manual. What about those who aren't able to read these posts?

robnyack
05-27-2002, 11:06 AM
shiz,

if what you described is how it was intended to work, they were probably too embarrassed to put it in the manual. ;)

Thanks for the info though. It still does not adress the bigger issue of players not going to where they should on a hit ball to the OF. Alot of times there are no cutoffs at all.