PDA

View Full Version : IMPORTANT: I Think My XBox is Broken!

Xtopia
05-17-2002, 12:21 AM
I am so mad!:mad:! Recently my XBox, has not been working! Last weekend, as usual I was looking forward to a weekend of online gaming via XBC. So I plugged my Cat-5 into my hub, as I've done a 1000 times, and turned on Halo. I then went to system link, as usual, and saw that I could not select "System Link." I was slightly concerned, but thought it was just my Cat-5. But last night, I used a "brand new" Cat-5. And it still did not work. So I flipped out, when I remembered I did not buy the extended warranty. I then called 1800-4my-xbox, to ensure that my warranty was up. And it was. I asked him if there was anything I could do...he said I could send it, and they would fix it for $150. I am so ****ed and mad at myself for not buying the warranty!
What do you guys reccomed...should I just buy a brand new console for $200 or pay 150? I am willing to pay the extra cash, because I don't want to have to send it in and wait for an eternity for it to come back...also, have any of you sent your XBox in for repairs? If so, how long did it take to come back?

SO WHAT DO YOU GUYS RECOMEND?

P.S. I don't wanna hear any shyt about how I should have bought the warranty! Trust me...I know!

Brevity
05-17-2002, 12:26 AM
Dude take it to Walmart, say "It was a gift and that it does not work and all I want is another one." They do that w/o a receipt. No prob. All fixeb up. But copy those games first.

Fixxer
05-17-2002, 12:28 AM
I'd play around with it more... Doesn't really sound like anything is wrong with it, tho I could be wrong. Check you connections and software again.

GokuX
05-17-2002, 01:24 AM
Buy a new one and this time get the extended warranty. If you send your old one in for repairs it might not get fixed correctly the first, second, or third time. Perhaps you should buy one at EB and get their extended warranty deal for $50 so you can just bring the system back to them and get it replaced on the spot instead of having to send it in with MS's warranty.

Azazel
05-17-2002, 04:10 AM
It doesnt sound like anything is wrong with your xbox. I work in desktop config (which includes cat 5) My reccomendation is to take it to your buddys house and try to get online. Could be a pc problem or your hub. Dont count out your xbox right away. Seriously.

JJaX
05-17-2002, 07:56 AM
If halo boots up and everything works but 'system link' your xbox is fine.

Halo must detect another box or a hub before that is enabled.
I would make sure the Hub isnt busted and make sure the new Cat 5 your trying is actually Cat 5.

If a buddy of yours has an xbox too, Tell him to come over or go over there with a crossover wire. That allows Xbox to xbox linking. If that works than you know its either your hub or your ehter net wire.

Taranis
05-17-2002, 08:45 AM
I agree with everyone that says not to throw in the towel yet. I imagine the hub or the cable maybe bad. I think you would have more problems than that if the entire Xbox was messed up.

But if you do decide that the Xbox is broken, don't send it in. After you pay $150 and the shipping on that boulder of a console, it'd be cheaper or close enough to just buy a new one.

OppiumNitrates
05-17-2002, 09:29 AM
hummm. . . . not really about if your xbox, or cat5 or hub but y dont u just leave the xbox connected to the hub instead of pluging it in every time u wanta go online. . . . .

but NEway i think that my XBA commrades have it right sounds like the prob is not with the box but some where else. . . . i mean u can still get halo to work and everything.

Also i wouldnt go and get a brand new one. . . . . think of all the stuff on ur hard drive u would loss that. . .unless u bought a new one and switch HDs. . . .but thats your call.. . . . . hope everything works out 4 ya and i see ya on XBC soon

JJaX
05-17-2002, 09:39 AM
Originally posted by OppiumNitrates

Also i wouldnt go and get a brand new one. . . . . think of all the stuff on ur hard drive u would loss that. . .unless u bought a new one and switch HDs. . . .but thats your call.. . . . . hope everything works out 4 ya and i see ya on XBC soon

If you do get a new one you can extract you files to your PC using either of these

Xbox HDD Dumper for DOS a simple DOS utility which directly comunicates with the HD via the I/O ports. No need for BIOS (The BIOS HD settings can be completly disabled!. With this method you don't need rebooting your PC or BIOS recognizing the XBOX HD. Simply plug in your XBOX HD and it works!"

http://www.home.mastersites.com/xboxmirror/xbox_hdd_dumper.zip

or

Xbox HDD "Driver" Win2K/XP utility provides GUI read/write access to your Xbox HDD
http://surphis.dyndns.org/HDD_Driver.zip

l Maximus l
05-17-2002, 10:34 AM
Xtopia...you may be having the "less than 800 post syndrom"...hehe..jk :D

But, seriously, I think JJaX made a really good recommendation. Go to your buddy's house or have him come over and try to system link both of your XBoxes with a Crossover cable and test it. If this works, then, it's likely there is something wrong with your network configuration with your HUB or computer.

By the way, it took me three different NEW Cat 5 cables before I was able to get my system to work. For some reason, there are a lot of cheap CAT 5 cables out there. Make sure it is an RJ-45 CAT 5 Patch cable. I know you said recently that you bought a new one and, perhaps, it was bad. Happened to me three times, so, that may be the culprit.

Xtopia
05-17-2002, 11:07 AM
I'm taking my XBox to a buddies house, where I have succesfully played Halo online. He has a 24 port hub, with plenty of "working" Cat-5's.
If it still does not work, I will go ahead and buy a new XBox. It will be cheaper than sending it in, because I get an extra contoller!:D And the "garuntee" that it will work.
But no matter what! I am going to buy the 2-year warranty! I have to admit...the thought of buying a new XBox, and then returning the old "broken" has entered my mind...but I'm not going to do that!

PROUDXBOXOWNER
05-17-2002, 02:14 PM
i am scared i wanna buy the warranty now.

Xtopia
05-17-2002, 02:15 PM
If it is not to late...you should!

DrUnKtAnK
05-17-2002, 03:05 PM
I was told by XBOX that you can still purchase the warranty even after your orginal is up....
Call and order the extended from Microsoft, wait a day or so, then call them up and tell them your situation....

Xtopia
05-17-2002, 04:04 PM
Cool, drunktank...I might do that.