PDA

View Full Version : EA Ports

Marc
05-17-2002, 11:04 AM
I've had it with EA Ports. First, they never rework their games to take advantage of the capabilities of the xbox. Now they are whining like little *****es about Microsoft's online plans and not developing online features in their xbox games. As much as I LOVE the Madden and NCAA games EA makes for xbox, or rather ports over to the xbox, I just may be boycotting their 2003 titles. That is a huge deal for me because Madden and NCAA are my favorite football titles. However, if they don't have online play when Fever and Sega do, then EA is worthless to me. It will sadden me, but I am almost to the point that Sony can have EA Ports. EA never REALLY supported the xbox anyway. All they've done is port all their PC and PS2 titles over. I always try to call it the way I see it and the way I see it is that EA has its nose buried so deep in Sony's ass that the result looks like some kind of grotesque siamese twin. So screw EA Ports. Sony can have them.

Kraft
05-17-2002, 11:12 AM
I... actually love my NHL2002, port or not. A fun game ported over to a different system is still a fun game. I hope I still get some quality sports games, because as far as I'm concerned, one of my favorite things is to boot up my hockey and say it along with the announcer: (say it with me DZ!!!)

"E A Sports.... Its in the game!"

LynxFX
05-17-2002, 11:14 AM
EA gives the Xbox a bad rep. Their programs haven't got a clue as to what the Xbox can do so they can take their games to Sony. Must be easy for them to program on a system that lacks all of the Xboxes technilogical improvements.

conman509
05-17-2002, 11:23 AM
I agree,screw EA.This'll be the first Madden I won't be getting since the first one on Sega genesis.Anyway none of the "improvements" seem to be about actual gameplay.While we're at it screw Activision aswell.Wolfenstein and Tenchu for PS2 but not Xbox,WTF?

Marc
05-17-2002, 11:29 AM
Kraft: I too love my NHL 2002, as you said, port or not. At this point I would be happy to have ports on the xbox if only they would include online play features. To clarify my thinking:Ports are an annoyance, but if they are as well done as most EA games are, then they are acceptable. I hate to even say that because the xbox could do so much better things with EA's games.The exclusion of online play features, however, is totally unacceptable and will force me to buy other sports titles.

DZNUTZ
05-17-2002, 11:36 AM
k here is my break down of different sport genres and who makes the best games in em

football= MADDEN O2 (EA)
basketball=NBA2K2 (SEGA)
hockey=NHL 2002 (EA)
soccer and baseball and misc other sports..i really don't play so i won't comment on.

my point is this, yes i despise ports also, and developers being lazy and not pushing the potential that a console has...but port or no port...if the game is the best...i'm gonna get it...so with i'll close by saying to things

NHL 2002 RULEZ!!!!

and EEEEEEEE AAAAAAAAA SPOOOORTS- "IT'S IN THE GAME"

Marc
05-17-2002, 11:57 AM
DZNuts: I totally agree with you except for one thing...the exclusion of the online feature in the 2003 games. What are your thoughts on that?

PS-I gotta go to work, but I'll check this thread tonight. I'm curious as to what people think.

DZNUTZ
05-17-2002, 12:08 PM
good question marc.....i've actually answered it in another thread and this is basically how it went

replayability and multiplayer is generally my number 1 concern in purchasing a video game...so as for ea sports next year..if the titles aren't availbe via xboxlive...then yes..in all likley hood i will not be purchasing their titles next year (which does indeed sadden me:( ) but i am fairly confident by the year following...EA will have learned from its huge blunder.

Marc
05-17-2002, 09:09 PM
I hear that. I love EA and it will make me almost sick to buy diferent sports games, but I feel I have no choice. I could buy Sega 2K3 AND Madden 2003, but I can't justify spending that amount of hard earned money on football games. I can only buy one and I want one that has online play as a feature. I hope that they change their mind. I've always bought EA Sports games cause if it's in hte game, it's in the game. I am still holding out hope that Madden 2003 may find online play added just at the last minute.

melon
05-18-2002, 03:54 PM
Here's a concept that works:

"EA Ports, It's the Same Game"

Master Gracey
05-18-2002, 04:04 PM
I have to agree with what everyone has been saying. I'm going to try my hardest to boycott EA titles for at least the next year. With games like Morrowind, Project Ego, The Unseen, Taz Wanted, Xavier Fox, Robin Hood and Outlaw Golf, it shouldn't be too hard. :D

Besides, what was with the president of EA saying that Sony has won the console war so they're going to develop a bunch of stuff for them? Isn't it a little premature to declare a winner? It'd be like me saying "the Toronto Blue Jays just won the World Series!" They're my fav team, but the season's not even CLOSE to being over. His comment reeked of arrogance.

I'm not a fan of sports games, but let Sony keep their dinky EA titles. We're getting some innovative and beautiful games coming out that will blow EA's kindergarten lineup out of the water.

RadRider
05-18-2002, 04:12 PM
I've been boycotting EA for months now! They only ever barely port games over, never taking advantage of the better Xbox hardware. In fact, NBA Live runs worse on Xbox than on the PS2, something that just doesn't make sense to me. EA has always been money-hungry whores with decent games, but never great games. Just wait until Lord of the Rings comes out. It'll be crappy, trust me.

Something I noticed when Playing NHL 2002: the players jiggle like they're made out of jello! Most people don't notice this, but my and my brothers were laughing at it the whole time we had the game. It looks soo stupid.

And although Sony might feasibly win the console war, since they have over twice the units sold of anyone else in the market, that is no reason to stop supporting the Xbox. Since when does the fact that a crappy console exists in more households than a better console, directly translate to: the crappy console thereby deserves to get more features and time devoted to their games than the more capable, easier to work with console?
It doesn't make sense at all.

Marc
05-18-2002, 04:36 PM
The president of EA can kiss my ass.

X-Ray
05-18-2002, 04:40 PM
I hate EA. I think that their only good games are the Medal of Honor (which they don't even make just publish right?) and I really am (or was) looking forward to Battlefield 1942--another game not made my EA. Does EA make any games or does it just publish?

I despise their sports games; I think that the Sega and now the Microsoft series are much better.

Furthermore, I have never been a big admirer of their graphics. In my mind EA has been synonomous with the jaggies...and they don't even make most or all of their games! They take mediocrity wherever they go.

RadRider
05-18-2002, 05:43 PM
EA does only publish games. However, they are in direct control of ports - the amount of funding in particular, that the porting developers get to do the job. EA can also threaten the developers by saying they will pull the plug, if the developers take longer than initially expected, be it for implementing new features or improving code, or whatever have you. Basically EA can say to the developer: "Make this better on PS2 than Xbox, or we'll see that you're disbanded and have to find jobs elsewhere"

X-Ray
05-18-2002, 07:13 PM
Originally posted by RadRider
EA does only publish games. However, they are in direct control of ports - the amount of funding in particular, that the porting developers get to do the job. EA can also threaten the developers by saying they will pull the plug, if the developers take longer than initially expected, be it for implementing new features or improving code, or whatever have you. Basically EA can say to the developer: "Make this better on PS2 than Xbox, or we'll see that you're disbanded and have to find jobs elsewhere"

Just as I exptected! But I have to say that from what I've seen of EA games on PS2 I'm not impressed with EA. So I think the bigger issue is they push unready games out the door. Makes you appreciate the carefulness be applied to X-Box games like Morrowind, Project Ego (which EA probably would have pushed out the door months ago) and perhaps most of all: HALO!