PDA

View Full Version : Are games too short??

Highlite23
05-17-2002, 11:30 AM
As a follow up to my other post "No good games" another comment i hear constantly is "It was too short"

Are they??

Let's start with. "I'm not hardcore by any stretch"

Let's use Halo for an example, do you go through 1 mode and consider yourself done?? Or do you try to play through all the difficulties. I'm currentlly in Hero mode, and it's a task.

Another example thats a little different...Spiderman. Same scenario, differnt difficluties, but with the added "Hidden Items" "Bonus'" Do you play through and finish regardless of what your score was, do you try and un-lock all the extras??

I think you get the gist of my question, Do you completely finish the game, with all the features the developer intended you to try??

I know some of you are console "GODS" finishing Halo in Legendary in 3 hours, but are you guys the norm??

Personally i'm ****ed i'm at the end of Munch and missed 2 for perfect Karma, i'm going back.

So what do you do??? Explore and finish "EVERYTHING" or just get through the game as fast as you can??:)

Kraft
05-17-2002, 11:39 AM
I don't think I've run across many games that are "too short". What I have run across is games with little to no replay value. For instance, yeah... there are probably some people that can finish halo in a ridiculously short amount of time, but thats ok, because the game makes up for it with multiplayer and everything else it offers. On the other hand there are games like Blood Omen 2, which was a great game IMO and it took me about 12 hours to finish, decent length. But lets look at the breakdown now:

Halo: time for me to beat - 7 hours (legedary)
time I've spent playing it - well over 100 hours

BO2: time for me to beat - 12 hours
time ive spent playing it - 12 hours

so while BO2 is the longer game, it actually ended up being the shorter game:eek:

SkoalMint
05-17-2002, 11:41 AM
For me it depends on the game, and this is what separates a rental from a purchase. For instance, I can play Halo anytime on any difficulty on any level and still enjoy it. There are always new tricks to try. On the other hand, after beating Munch, I really wasn't interested in going back to get perfect Quarma. I do own it as it came with my bundle, but I would have been fine with just renting it. My wife and son both love it so they get the replay value out of it. I do agree that some games are too short. To me, anything less than 20 hours with little replay value is too short. In addition, I don't consider many of the extras to be worthy enough to replay the game. Who cares if you get an extra costume??? I guess this is why I am so hyped for ES3. With around 200 hours of play and what could be endless replayability, this game will likely eat up alot of my free time. I just hope it lives up to the hype.

LynxFX
05-17-2002, 11:44 AM
I think that there seems to be a rise on short games.

Wreckless was short to me but extremely fun.
Max Payne, same boat.
Halo, just right.
Amped, just right.
Allied Assault: not on Xbox yet but very short.

Dre
05-17-2002, 12:16 PM
Blood Omen 2, real fun game but short. Finished it in a rental. Genma Onimusha, great game.. but finished it in a rental (and I did get all the bonus stuff).

I guess my criteria for a game is that if I can finish it in a rental, its too short for a purchase.

OppiumNitrates
05-17-2002, 12:20 PM
depends on the game if i beat is without everything and i am satisfied then i am done with it. . . but if i beat it without everything sometimes i will go back to finish 100% of the game. . . . i beat Zelda Ocorina of time with everything cauz it was a great and fun game. . .

Regaurding difficulty levels. . . . i alwasy to it on the hardest setting and play it. . . dont really F around with the kiddie difficulty levels

my frined started a game of Halo on normal the other day and when Master Chief got out of chryo tube the dude there started telling him to go over there so i can set up your view controls and come over here so i can turn on your shield. . . . . i was like what the F is this all about. . . . then i relized he wasnt playing it on Legendary. . . . it was kinda funny

also i dont know what part of the endding was extra since i never seen the endding on anything but the legendary difficulty setting