PDA

View Full Version : RTS Games for XBox?

Hellraisr
05-18-2002, 02:12 PM
I was wondering if anyone knows anything about RTS style games for XBox? I'd really love to see Warcraft 3 come out for XBox. I think with the layout of the controller on XBox that it should be fairly easy to control a starcraft-style game even without a keyboard.

Any comments/ideas on this?

RadRider
05-18-2002, 02:35 PM
I hate RTS games. I've played Warcraft 2 and 3, Starcraft, and a bunch of others, but I never enjoy playing them and I usually stop within several minutes. I've never had fun playing them, and probably never will. Just not my types of games. Plus, there's a fundamental difference in controls. Although it could work on a console, developers have never taken the time to properly translate controls to a controller. If that were to happen, maybe I'd have more fun on the console version.

Hellraisr
05-19-2002, 09:27 AM
Really? hmm oh well I guess they are not for everyone. I can't even say it's because you played a bad game in the genre because those are all good games. Have you played just multiplayer or also the 1-man missions? I found starcraft to have quite a decent variety of 1-player missions coupled with a nice story. Perhaps if they make a Starcraft 2, it will be released on X-Box..

Originally posted by RadRider
I hate RTS games. I've played Warcraft 2 and 3, Starcraft, and a bunch of others, but I never enjoy playing them and I usually stop within several minutes. I've never had fun playing them, and probably never will. Just not my types of games. Plus, there's a fundamental difference in controls. Although it could work on a console, developers have never taken the time to properly translate controls to a controller. If that were to happen, maybe I'd have more fun on the console version.

RadRider
05-20-2002, 12:17 AM
I've tried it all. Single player vs Computer on multiplayer maps, single player campaigns, player vs player multiplayer, cooperative multiplayer vs the computer, etc. I even bought that semi-cool RTS for the Gameboy Color when it came out. However, for whatever reason, I just don't like them.
There is one exception though, as always: Homeworld. I think it's the graphics and cool interface more than anything, but I just want to keep booting it up. I rarely ever play it and I never play for long, but I like to watch all my ships fly in formation and execute spot on attacks.

OZXboxAddict
05-20-2002, 01:37 AM
Would luv to see a RTS game. Was always a big fan of Warcraft, C & C, KKND, Dune etc

If it translates well to Xbox (and I'm sure it will) there will definitely be a following there, especially when the online elements are amalgamated. Could be even bigger, as Aussie18 points out in another thread, if Bungie is onboard as well as Westwood studios!!

Hellraisr
05-20-2002, 06:08 PM
I would have to say Homeworld both 1 and 2 are excellent games :) I've played them both and they are both amazing.. maybe one will come to the XBox. Homeworld had a nice way of packing a lot of complex things into an easy to use interface.

Dark Reign 2 was pretty good too.

Originally posted by RadRider
I've tried it all. Single player vs Computer on multiplayer maps, single player campaigns, player vs player multiplayer, cooperative multiplayer vs the computer, etc. I even bought that semi-cool RTS for the Gameboy Color when it came out. However, for whatever reason, I just don't like them.
There is one exception though, as always: Homeworld. I think it's the graphics and cool interface more than anything, but I just want to keep booting it up. I rarely ever play it and I never play for long, but I like to watch all my ships fly in formation and execute spot on attacks.