PDA

View Full Version : How do I become an ELITE Halo player?

X-Ray
05-18-2002, 06:19 PM
I've been playing Halo since Christmas; since Jan/Feb I've been playing on-line.

I'm a good Halo player, but I'm not taking it up to the next level. I'd say I can beat about 2/3-3/4 of the people on XBConnect, but 1/3-1/4 of them really beat me into the ground. I also struggle with consistency. If I play four games with the same four people my ranks would go something as follows: 1,1,3,4. (If I'm playing with my little brother, Xtopia , my ranks would be worse.) What are some elite tricks you guys know that can help me out?

P-Rock
05-18-2002, 09:27 PM
Hopefully, there will be a huge Halo LAN party. With the best of the best going, you can show your stuff.

RadRider
05-18-2002, 11:17 PM
Set your joystick sensitivity really high. Personally, I can't play that way, but it should give you that split second more that you need to whomp some ass.

Also, really experiment with the controls. If you find yourself running out of ammo lots, then you probably resort to hitting people with a melee attack (since grenades count as ammo too). So you should try using the boxer configuration, since it's easier to hit people with L than with B.
Or, if you find that you are much more effective with shooting people, and you don't run out of ammo often, then leave it default.

Just mess with stuff a lot basically, try some strategies against another player in two player, and try coordinating some attacks in two or three player.

Then again, maybe you don't want to do that since I suck. But, I've never done the above before, so maybe that's why I suck.

X-Ray
05-19-2002, 12:39 AM
Originally posted by RadRider
Set your joystick sensitivity really high. Personally, I can't play that way, but it should give you that split second more that you need to whomp some ass.

Also, really experiment with the controls. If you find yourself running out of ammo lots, then you probably resort to hitting people with a melee attack (since grenades count as ammo too). So you should try using the boxer configuration, since it's easier to hit people with L than with B.
Or, if you find that you are much more effective with shooting people, and you don't run out of ammo often, then leave it default.

Just mess with stuff a lot basically, try some strategies against another player in two player, and try coordinating some attacks in two or three player.

Then again, maybe you don't want to do that since I suck. But, I've never done the above before, so maybe that's why I suck.

Oh I know about the controller sensitivity. It's at nine right now. I tried boxer but I prefer the original. I think it all comes down to my mediocre use of the pistol. On a Scale of 1-10, 5 being the average guy on XBConnect here are my attributes

Close-range duking it out: 9.2

Grenade accuracy and timing: 9.3

Rocket Launther: 5.7

Overshield managment 6-8.8 (depending on the map)

Active camo management: 4-8.5 (depending on the map)

Pistol long range: 8

Pistol Short range: 7.5

Sniping: 8.9

Vehicles: 7-9 (Depending on the vehicle)

I can't think of any other other areas to rate myself but here you are. I'll post more as they come to me.

Xtopia
05-19-2002, 11:04 AM
Originally posted by X-Ray

Oh I know about the controller sensitivity. It's at nine right now. I tried boxer but I prefer the original. I think it all comes down to my mediocre use of the pistol. On a Scale of 1-10, 5 being the average guy on XBConnect here are my attributes

Close-range duking it out: 9.2

Grenade accuracy and timing: 9.3

Rocket Launther: 5.7

Overshield managment 6-8.8 (depending on the map)

Active camo management: 4-8.5 (depending on the map)

Pistol long range: 8

LoL! You think your that good, aye?? Well, I can beat you so my stats must be way up there! But I still get whooped at XBC all the time! I think your a little to confident, big brother!

Pistol Short range: 7.5

Sniping: 8.9

Vehicles: 7-9 (Depending on the vehicle)

I can't think of any other other areas to rate myself but here you are. I'll post more as they come to me.

RadRider
05-19-2002, 11:49 AM
Okay, I'll post my stats now, at least what I guage them to be versus other people on Gamespy.

-Close-range duking it out: 4
-Grenade accuracy and timing: 5
-Rocket Launther: 5
-Overshield managment 7
-Active camo management: 3
-Pistol long range: 7
-Pistol Short range: 8
-Sniping: 6
-Vehicles: 7

I'm a terrible Halo player by the way. ;)
I also play with a joystick sensitivity of 3 or less.

Xtopia
05-19-2002, 05:43 PM
Originally posted by RadRider
Okay, I'll post my stats now, at least what I guage them to be versus other people on Gamespy.

-Close-range duking it out: 4
-Grenade accuracy and timing: 5
-Rocket Launther: 5
-Overshield managment 7
-Active camo management: 3
-Pistol long range: 7
-Pistol Short range: 8
-Sniping: 6
-Vehicles: 7

I'm a terrible Halo player by the way. ;)
I also play with a joystick sensitivity of 3 or less.

So basiclly you suck? J/K. But dude, turn up the controller sensitivity!!! I have mine at seven!

X-Ray
05-19-2002, 09:56 PM
Originally posted by Xtopia

LoL! You think your that good, aye?? Well, I can beat you so my stats must be way up there! But I still get whooped at XBC all the time! I think your a little to confident, big brother!

First I'd like to commend your uncanny ability to use the quote tool. (See his first post in this thread and you'll know what I mean). Second, Yeah I am THAT good. When you average that out it puts me at about the 70th percentile (depending on how you weigh each attribute and what values you accept for my estimate ranges) I really got a C or a C+ in Halo! So I don't think that's bragging!

Because I often play with Xtopia (he's my brother for crying outloud) I usually come in second in 2 v 2's. My brother is an excellant Halo player (he had a lot more time to devote to Halo in months past) I don't come across looking THAT good. But I'm really at somewhere between the 66-80th percentile and my self attributed stats reflect that, espescially if you weigh attributes like camo use and RL use which can be very important to winning.

If anyone else tried to humiliate me like this I might use a "your momma" joke. However, you are my brother and I don't think that would be appropriate!

The Reverend
05-20-2002, 03:50 PM
The look sensitivity is an option if you are a duke it out kind of guy. If you try to do any kind of sniping, then it is hard to do at high sensitivity so be careful with that. Nothing worse than flying left to right trying to follow that one guy while his buddy is sneaking up on ya and ......... blammm........melee

I have found that the higher the sensitivty usually does mean the better the player........Huck must be at 9.........damn cammo and shotgun.....dangerous combination

X-Ray
05-20-2002, 10:07 PM
Originally posted by The Reverend
The look sensitivity is an option if you are a duke it out kind of guy. If you try to do any kind of sniping, then it is hard to do at high sensitivity so be careful with that. Nothing worse than flying left to right trying to follow that one guy while his buddy is sneaking up on ya and ......... blammm........melee

I have found that the higher the sensitivty usually does mean the better the player........Huck must be at 9.........damn cammo and shotgun.....dangerous combination

Althoug I agree that HIGH sensitivity is less appropriate for sniping I think that the optimum sensitivity for a sniper is above 3!

OppiumNitrates
05-21-2002, 01:49 PM
i use sensitivity on 7 and its not as good for snipeing but for close range it rocks. . . .

i never use radar . . . andi always try to kill people with 3 pistol shots . . .i like to conserve ammo what can i say

as for certin elemants of the game go . . . i think that the rockets take no skill and should be saved for ctf . . . cauz getting a point in slayer with the rocket takes no skill and i never use them in slayer

the rockets r only cool if everyone starts with one . . . i hate kids that go for the rockets everytime . . . . and if i see someone doing that i will camp there invis style just to kill them . . .

as far as getting your skillz up to the elite status . . . a few rounds in the hyperbolic time chamber might help . . . . right Capper??

NightCapper
05-21-2002, 03:08 PM
Originally posted by OppiumNitrates

i never use radar . . . andi always try to kill people with 3 pistol shots . . .i like to conserve ammo what can i say

as for certin elemants of the game go . . . i think that the rockets take no skill and should be saved for ctf . . . cauz getting a point in slayer with the rocket takes no skill and i never use them in slayer

the rockets r only cool if everyone starts with one . . . i hate kids that go for the rockets everytime . . . . and if i see someone doing that i will camp there invis style just to kill them . . .

as far as getting your skillz up to the elite status . . . a few rounds in the hyperbolic time chamber might help . . . . right Capper??
The hyperbolic Time Chamber is some secret stuff. I cant talk about it right now or i will be killed. If u cats out there want to be a GOD just put on the cheat codes. . .LOL Dont use rockets in anything but CTF, or u really suck, and try to figure out hou u are gonna use the grenades that u have. Also dont shoot at me with the AR from far away and think u are gonna kill me cuz that is just sad. Dont camp the P-Ups and please dont turn the radar on. If u already do any of these Don'ts that just shows me that u have no skill at the game and u should just return the game at the store u bought it from, accept that u are ***, and buy Britney's Dance Moves or some game thats on your level like that.

jumper
05-23-2002, 02:03 AM
Originally posted by The Reverend

Rev. You're the first to mention the idea that look sensitivity is not the key to success. At least not alone. As I can testify of you, and you of me, part of the success with a pistol is tracking and targeting and a sensitivity level between 4 and 6 is ideal. You should feel free to change it depending on the night, level of hyper energy you have, and the strategy you are using. If my sensitivity is too high and my adrenaline matches, I spaz all night trying to control my player. Oh...aim for the head.

It is true, however, that the all around player should have the ability to use all the weapons and if he can snipe and use the pistol at level 10, you don't want to be on the same map as he is. Oh yeah...aim for the head.

The highest kills I have seen have come from snipers with levels in the 4-6 range. The most havoc I have seen came from level 10 sensitivity and a shotgun. You don't have to set it high to be "Elite". You have to know the game, your best role (less important in non-team games), your strategy and the teams, which weapon the situation, how to quickly switch...and aim for the head.

I would suggest starting with one weapon and mastering it. You may find that it doesn't work well for you...don't beat the horse...choose a new one and bring the first one back later. I have seen people kick with the "worst" non-alien weapon, the assault rifle. I hate it. It just does not work for me that way. Give me a pistol and a shotgun and I'm good to go. I can use the AR if necessary, but that rarely is the case. And I always aim for the head.

There's more but I don't have time to post the TAO of Halo right now. Maybe soon though.

Did I mention...aim for the head?

jumper
05-23-2002, 02:14 AM
that is good to make part of your sub-conscious thought.

If you have a second, reload. Even if you have fired only one round from an AR, reload it. I lost a lot of battles, and still lose a few, because I didn't reload and was forced to do it mid-conflict. Even if you switch weapons, it can give the edge to your opponent.

Huckleberry
05-23-2002, 10:10 AM
Originally posted by jumper
that is good to make part of your sub-conscious thought.

If you have a second, reload. Even if you have fired only one round from an AR, reload it. I lost a lot of battles, and still lose a few, because I didn't reload and was forced to do it mid-conflict. Even if you switch weapons, it can give the edge to your opponent.

hey, bro (and i use the term literally)...you forgot this important little tidbit...aim for the head

RadRider
05-23-2002, 11:50 AM
What control setups does everyone use? I've struggled for several hours with the default control scheme - but it never feels natural. I grew up on FPS's in the N64 era, where the Southpaw style was master, with inverted controls. Apparently this was a bad time to grow up on FPSs because since the PS2, all FPS developers have employed the "halo default" control setup. Damn you developers!

jumper
05-31-2002, 10:56 AM
Originally posted by Huckleberry

hey, bro (and i use the term literally)...

I don't know what you are talk'in about...ya freak.

SpartanSniper
06-04-2002, 04:08 PM
Grenades and Rockets Launchers are your best friends.......so get the game set on infinate grenades and use them KamiKaze style if you have to......I know Rocket Lauchers are CHEAP but it helps if you just want to rack up the kills. Personally I hate using it because it's way to easy to kill with.

If you don't like that idea then you could go with my obvious choice (Since I am SpartanSniper). Have the M90 Shotgun and S2 AM Sniper Rifle. Use the Mortor effect of 2 plasma grenades side by side.

~ SpartanSniper

SpartanSniper@Yahoo.com