PDA

View Full Version : Morrowind Plot

X-Ray
05-18-2002, 07:00 PM
I've never played Elder Scrolls I or II for the PC so I was just wondering if someone who has could summarize the plot for me. If so that would be really :cool:

RadRider
05-18-2002, 09:07 PM
Not really close to concluding the game yet, and it'll take away some ambition to play the title, but what the hell.

There are currently 5 main houses in the land of Vvardenfell. Hlaalu, Redoran, Telvanni, Imperial cult and the Dunmer cult. There used to be a 6th house as well, but that house fell centuries ago. The storyline deals with the rise of the sixth house, and your role in the scheme of things. Other than that, I'm not exactly sure on the particulars, or I simply don't want to divulge them :)

X-Ray
05-18-2002, 11:02 PM
Originally posted by RadRider
Not really close to concluding the game yet, and it'll take away some ambition to play the title, but what the hell.

There are currently 5 main houses in the land of Vvardenfell. Hlaalu, Redoran, Telvanni, Imperial cult and the Dunmer cult. There used to be a 6th house as well, but that house fell centuries ago. The storyline deals with the rise of the sixth house, and your role in the scheme of things. Other than that, I'm not exactly sure on the particulars, or I simply don't want to divulge them :)

Thanks for your summary and also the discretion you showed in not spoiling it for me.

A reminder to future posters: Summarize the first two Elder Scroll's plots. Hopefully that will help those of us who haven't played the first two Scroll's jump right into Morrowind.

RadRider
05-18-2002, 11:20 PM
I've never even played Elder Scrolls 1 before, and I never made it nearly far enough in Elder Scrolls 2 to discover much of the plot. What I did find out though, is that there's a ghost terrorizing Daggerfall (me specifically). The start of the game has you meet a distinguished lady, discretely, in a remote location. She tells you that the ghost is an old king who was killed by someone in power. It's your job to find out why and how. Guess what? I never did :)

X-Ray
05-19-2002, 01:41 AM
lol

Is that an indication of a low opinion of the games or is it just that hard with that many hours of gameplay?

RadRider
05-20-2002, 12:12 AM
It's that big. I never really got around to getting anywhere near the main quest. I was busy robbing stores so I could afford a boat. Then I sailed the boat from coast to coast, robbing graves. Then the game started getting really buggy on me, and I switched OS's, then my computer broke and I got a new one... But I assure you, Morrowind isn't nearly as buggy as Daggerfall was. Morrowind is less buggy than most games I've played - on console no less!

X-Ray
05-20-2002, 09:43 AM
Originally posted by RadRider
It's that big. I never really got around to getting anywhere near the main quest. I was busy robbing stores so I could afford a boat. Then I sailed the boat from coast to coast, robbing graves. Then the game started getting really buggy on me, and I switched OS's, then my computer broke and I got a new one... But I assure you, Morrowind isn't nearly as buggy as Daggerfall was. Morrowind is less buggy than most games I've played - on console no less!

Less buggy than most console games! That's impressive. With the delayed release, Morrowind had better set a new standard for "buggilessness."

MerimacHamwich
05-24-2002, 02:48 PM
You can actually read the backstories on www.morrowind.com . It has a page set out for that im pretty sure. As well you can see the armor in the game and read books specifically made for the game. Wel... not the whole book but at least a portion of the first chapters. It is actually a really good site. I suggest you check it out. The Elder Scrolls series is filled with intensly huge areas.

RadRider
05-24-2002, 03:13 PM
I've uncovered a lot more backstory, but I'm not going to tell you. :D
The game is sort of like a big mystery. You come across different books and people that tell you little pieces of the story. It's your job to place it all together. If you're incapable of using your mind, you'll end up like this guy: http://gamefaqs.com/computer/doswin/review/R34034.html who thinks there isn't even a storyline!

swampthyng
05-28-2002, 03:06 AM
at first your going to think morrowind is the best RPG ever, maybe about 10-20 hours in depending on how observant you are and your tastes your gonna start thinking there are some MAJOR, and i mean MAJOR flaws/problems/design issues.

At that point if you've done much of the main quest your going to start getting deja vu wondering where you've seen or heard this plot line before. Then if you've managed to continue playing to this point you'll realize the plot is a complete and 100% ripoff of the robert jordan eye of the world series of books. I'm not talking a passing likeness here, the plot is such a blatant ripoff it's disgusting.

Had they just remade daggerfall with modern graphics it woulda been a better game. But should you play long enough to realize the flaws your gonna likely be ****ED.

Rancey
05-28-2002, 03:42 AM
Originally posted by swampthyng
at first your going to think morrowind is the best RPG ever, maybe about 10-20 hours in depending on how observant you are and your tastes your gonna start thinking there are some MAJOR, and i mean MAJOR flaws/problems/design issues.

At that point if you've done much of the main quest your going to start getting deja vu wondering where you've seen or heard this plot line before. Then if you've managed to continue playing to this point you'll realize the plot is a complete and 100% ripoff of the robert jordan eye of the world series of books. I'm not talking a passing likeness here, the plot is such a blatant ripoff it's disgusting.

Had they just remade daggerfall with modern graphics it woulda been a better game. But should you play long enough to realize the flaws your gonna likely be ****ED.

There are definetely flaws with the game, like the clipping problems and the journal is VERY badly done. But on a whole the game is fantastic, I wouldn't go as far as Rad as to say less buggy than console games as it's crashed a couple times in me, but it is still very stable.

btw Rad, it's possible to join the imperial cult, dunmer cult and another house right? Just that you can only join 1 of the 3 houses starting with house?

swampthyng
05-28-2002, 06:02 AM
You can join as many guilds in the game as you want with the exception of the great houses. You can only join ONE great house. Be warned though some guilds missions will get you kicked from other guilds.

Rancey
05-28-2002, 07:32 AM
Originally posted by swampthyng
You can join as many guilds in the game as you want with the exception of the great houses. You can only join ONE great house. Be warned though some guilds missions will get you kicked from other guilds.

Yeah, thought so...I'm with the Telvanni :)

RadRider
05-30-2002, 08:29 PM
Yeah, it's not less buggy than most console games, albeit some console games are more buggy than the buggiest PC games I've seen... But I haven't had any significant problems with Morrowind at all.

I do think the game has some flaws. It is fairly easy to beat enemies, although that doesn't make the game itself easy. And to me, the storyline is completely new, and I'm fascinated with it.
I do think Daggerfall was a bigger, freer, better game overall; minus graphics and sound, but this is easily the best RPG for any next-gen console. At least in my opinion it is.