PDA

View Full Version : Favorite Genre?

X-Ray
05-19-2002, 10:13 PM
What is your favorite genre? Or more specifically, what is your favorite genre as far as console games go?

Note: I've never posted a pole before so if this doesn't work, forgive me.

My personal favorite has to be FPS's.

Xtopia
05-19-2002, 11:08 PM
FPS all the way!

wweomaniac
05-19-2002, 11:19 PM
fps... nothings better..
unless its an action/rpg... that is made very well.

Xtopia
05-19-2002, 11:24 PM
Originally posted by wweomaniac
fps... nothings better..
unless its an action/rpg... that is made very well.

True...but overall, FPS are the best!

Nerrad529
05-20-2002, 12:41 AM
first person shooter sports games role playing racing is ok

OEM Alien
05-20-2002, 01:33 AM
fps = # 1
so why does xbox only have HALO to show off?! almost everyone agrees that fps are the best so therefore xbox only has 1 fps???????
...fockin stupid game creators. :mad:

ATTENTION GAME CREATORS!
DO YOU WANT TO SELL A MILLION COPIES OF A GAME?? .... LIKE HALO??
DO YOU WANT TO BE SUCCESSFUL, MAKE LOTS OF MONEY AND GREAT GAMES ??
YES YOU SAY ???
WELL HURRY UP AND START MAKING FPS GAMES FOR THE XBOX ******!
after all it's why most people bought the xbox in the first place. :)

l Maximus l
05-20-2002, 02:45 AM
1. FPSs
2. Racing
3. Fighting
4. Sports

TheGeezer
05-20-2002, 03:06 AM
FPS.... though racing is pretty close

Dre
05-20-2002, 03:09 AM
Well.. I think most of you know my answer. For those that don't:
RPG's kick arse :)

...only a few more days till the 1st one comes out on xbox!

E-Vader
05-20-2002, 05:44 AM
FPS all the way, while Halo is not my fav :eek: Nothing has been able to knock the crown of Half Life as yet, But I'm looking forward to whats coming for Xbox.

khaos2005
05-20-2002, 06:13 AM
FPS is my first choice.

Second choice is an RPG or action/adventure game.

E-Xbox
05-20-2002, 08:24 AM
i dont really have a fav genre...
but i just picked fps....
plus..if the fps can go online...then its really amazing

peace

Shorezy
05-20-2002, 08:59 AM
FPS all the way inless it's an amasing action/adventure.

Kraft
05-20-2002, 09:34 AM
As far as console games go:

1. Sports
2. FPS
3. Strategy
4. Action/adv.

Of course with newer and better consoles (i.e. the xbox) they might be able to make some RTS games that work perfectly which will bump that up to number 1 on my list. Right now the only console RTS's I've ever tried are Starcraft and C&C for N64 and boy was that ever a joke. I almost cried.

guitargod711
05-20-2002, 09:38 AM
I love the sports genre. I also like exploration games like shenmue 1 and 2. I can't wait for that to come out.

X-Ray
05-20-2002, 09:40 AM
FPS's have taken a resounding lead. I wonder if this could be because of a little game called Halo? I (or someone else) should post another pole like this after Morrowind and/or Project Ego, and see if its more of a 50-50 split.

As for me, FPS rule!

Duke
05-20-2002, 10:03 AM
1. FPS
2. Sports
3. Racing
4. Action/Adventure

X-Ray
05-20-2002, 11:19 AM
As of now, if you add Action/Adventure and RPG together, they're almost equall to FPS's. This is signifigant because in many people's minds, there is not fine line between RPG's and action/adventures. However FPS's have the clear majority.

Dre
05-20-2002, 11:27 AM
Originally posted by X-Ray
This is signifigant because in many people's minds, there is not fine line between RPG's and action/adventures.

I'm not too sure about that statement. I think most people can recognize an rpg when they see one. I don't want this thread turning into another "well, what defines an rpg" debate, but IMHO there are no RPGs out for xbox yet. I do not agree with people calling Azurik or Blood Omen 2 rpg's, those are the action/adventure games. However, the people that do refer to these games as RPG's are in a minority.

Spaztic
05-20-2002, 11:30 AM
I really can't put my tastes into 1 genre! I would have to say....3rd person shooter if I only had to pick one....games like max payne, metal gear, gta3, siphon filter...etc.

OppiumNitrates
05-20-2002, 11:45 AM
Originally posted by Dre

I'm not too sure about that statement. I think most people can recognize an rpg when they see one. I don't want this thread turning into another "well, what defines an rpg" debate, but IMHO there are no RPGs out for xbox yet. I do not agree with people calling Azurik or Blood Omen 2 rpg's, those are the action/adventure games. However, the people that do refer to these games as RPG's are in a minority.

i agree no RPG yet . . . . Morrowind will be the first(unless Project Ego come out first since Morrowind gets pushed back every hour)

but IMO i also think that a majority of people dont know the difference between and RPG and an action/adveture game . . . . . i mean i talked to one kid who tried to convince me that Night Caster was an RPG and while it has RPG elements its sad for someone to think that

Xbox Owner
05-20-2002, 11:51 AM
FPS's, and sports game.:)

X-Ray
05-20-2002, 12:28 PM
And it looks like there was a run on the sports games...well a few votes. Sports games are great but I prefer racers. Heres how it breaks down for me

1. FPS*
2. Action/Adventure (gotta love crimson skies)*
3. RPG's *
4. Racers*
5. Sports*

* Subject to change without notice.

SkoalMint
05-20-2002, 01:14 PM
Definitely RPG's, but Halo has really made me appreciate the FPS. It will be interesting to see the first-person aspects of Morrowing.

X-Ray
05-20-2002, 01:29 PM
Originally posted by SkoalMint
Definitely RPG's, but Halo has really made me appreciate the FPS. It will be interesting to see the first-person aspects of Morrowing.

The FP element of Morrowind is intrigueing. I never played elderscroll I or II, Nor have I played Morrowind for the PC, so I'm going of the screenshots here: it looks like it will be a hybrid 1st and 3rd person RPG. In any event this game (and project ego) have lit my RPG fire!

Ninja Scroll
05-20-2002, 01:35 PM
1. RPG
2. Sports
3. Fighting
4. Action/Adventure

dave_m123
05-20-2002, 01:49 PM
Pretty much a big fan of everything apart from simulators and sports (not to say i wouldent play some i just play them less than others).

At the moment it think its FPS/Third person adventure games. Used to be Strategy lol.

X-Ray
05-20-2002, 01:51 PM
Originally posted by Ninja Scroll
1. RPG
2. Sports
3. Fighting
4. Action/Adventure

Unless I missed something, this is a first. Someone doesn't have FPS in their top 4 list (or top five or whatever)! Ninja, have you played halo on-line? Because if I couldn't play halo online (which I'm getting a taste of now because Xtopia's and my x-box's network card is broken or something) I might not have FPS as number one. But it would certainly be in my top four! Wait come to think of it...FPS would still be #1. So what Sport's and fighting games motivated you to put them above FPS's? Personally, I can understan RPG's being in your number one spot but, although I enjoy sports and fighting games they're not at the top of my list.

This goes to everyone who doesn't have either FPS, RPG, or action adventure on the top of their lis: what games motivated you to put something else up there? Would you recomend them to someone like me (a FPS junkie who also enjoys RPG's and action adventure)?

I guess this confirms the old cliche: different strokes.

faceoff508
05-20-2002, 01:56 PM
First-Person Shooters, they are always fun!

X-Ray
05-20-2002, 02:05 PM
Originally posted by faceoff508
First-Person Shooters, they are always fun!

...The voice of the majority ladies and gentlemen. Do you think that FPS's will retain the majority after Morrowind and espescially Project Ego are released?

Xtopia
05-20-2002, 11:01 PM
Originally posted by Ninja Scroll
1. RPG
2. Sports
3. Fighting
4. Action/Adventure

You don't like FPS's?

LynxFX
05-21-2002, 02:00 AM
FPS are my fav as well.
RTS come next. :D

X-Ray
05-21-2002, 12:51 PM
Wow! FPS is down to less than 50% ! I'm shocked!

Originally posted by Lynxfx
FPS are my fav as well.
RTS come next. :D

What RTS's do you find attractive on consoles?

LynxFX
05-21-2002, 01:17 PM
What RTS's do you find attractive on consoles?

None yet. I'm hoping for Warcraft III or something like Earth 2150 or Age of Empires. Not sure how well they would translate to a console though.

Are there any announced RTS titles coming? I haven't been keeping track.

Dre
05-21-2002, 01:52 PM
biggest problem with these rts games is the control scheme. As soon as one developer figures out the perfect controls for games like these, we should start seeing alot more coming to consoles.

X-Ray
05-22-2002, 08:23 PM
Originally posted by Dre
biggest problem with these rts games is the control scheme. As soon as one developer figures out the perfect controls for games like these, we should start seeing alot more coming to consoles.

I hope so. Do you think a mouse is the solution? And if so, why wouldn't you use your PC?

OEM Alien
05-22-2002, 09:00 PM
Originally posted by E-Vader
FPS all the way, while Halo is not my fav :eek: Nothing has been able to knock the crown of Half Life as yet, But I'm looking forward to whats coming for Xbox. half life counterstrike is on the way!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
whoo hoo!

ATTENTION GAME DEVELOPERS! - MAKE MORE FIRST PERSON SHOOTERS! IT'S WHAT THE MAJORITY OF XBOX OWNERS WANT TO PLAY! HALO'S SMASHING SUCCESS IS PROOF! DON'T BE A FOOL, CUT DOWN ON THE PLATFORMERS, AND MAKE MORE FPS GAMES!!!!!!!!

OEM Alien
05-22-2002, 09:03 PM
What RTS's do you find attractive on consoles?Dungeon Seige would be simple to make work on xbox with it's controller. it would not require a mouse and keyboard. sweet!

cracchus
05-22-2002, 09:07 PM
Originally posted by OEM Alien
[....] almost everyone agrees that fps are the best so therefore xbox only has 1 fps???????
...fockin stupid game creators. :mad:
ATTENTION GAME CREATORS!
[....] HURRY UP AND START MAKING FPS GAMES FOR THE XBOX ******!

I think they're aiming for Xbox Live.

OEM Alien
05-22-2002, 09:31 PM
Originally posted by cracchus

I think they're aiming for Xbox Live. you mean the game developers are waiting to release all the fps games when xbox live goes online? err... what??? the poll (plus halo sales) shows that the fps is the gamers choice.

X-Ray
05-22-2002, 09:55 PM
you mean the game developers are waiting to release all the fps games when xbox live goes online? err... what??? the poll (plus halo sales) shows that the fps is the gamers choice.

Right, and what other genre is as fun to play on-line? I've heard of some RPG's that are built for online, but I don't know how that would work. Bottom line, FPS's are best for online play (on a console anyway).

P.S. Someone, I forget who, used the term "platformers." I assume that this refers to "platform jumpers"; am I right?

OEM Alien
05-22-2002, 10:14 PM

Right, and what other genre is as fun to play on-line? I've heard of some RPG's that are built for online, but I don't know how that would work. Bottom line, FPS's are best for online play (on a console anyway).

P.S. Someone, I forget who, used the term "platformers." I assume that this refers to "platform jumpers"; am I right? NO! i mean enough with the blinx and crash type games... WE WANT MORE FPS! and i agree, fps are SHWWEEEEEEEEET ONLINE! rpg's are cool too, but man... the rush you get and the fun of blasting someone to pieces online in a fps CANNOT BE BEAT! although it is mighty dam fun to score a 65 yard touhdown run or pass and RUB IT IN while playing nfl2k1 online!!! hehehe :D i say fps and sports are onlines # 1 priority. but fps and sport games still need to be VERY DEEP in the single player offline catagory as well. like unreal tournament is for pc... halo, with no single player deathmatch mode cost bungie 1 million more sales. i think it would be doubled if they had bots and a single player mode for halo, because not everyone has friends that ownz an xbox. alot of the people i assosiate with play pc games only. soooo. BRING ON COUNTERSTRIKE, RTCW, BF 1942, MOH A.A., U.C. DEUS EX 2! and any others i forgot.
FPS R00LZ!
:D

EDIT: "NO! i mean enough with the blinx and crash type games... WE WANT MORE FPS!"
:)

cracchus
05-22-2002, 11:29 PM
[....] and i agree, fps are SHWWEEEEEEEEET ONLINE![....] the fun of blasting someone to pieces online in a fps CANNOT BE BEAT! [....]

Right. That's why the FPS's are all aiming for Xbox Live. We have to wait until October. I know it sucks, but that's the way it's got to be. October. No FPS wants to come out single player-only, sans online (Xbox Live). We will have to wait until Xbox Live launches before we can play the FPS's.

Dre
05-22-2002, 11:41 PM
NO! i mean enough with the blinx and crash type games...

You are quite the clueless individual aren't you. Also, although you might find it really cool to write in big red text, the rest of us don't. Please stop.

Blinx is the first ever game of its kind, you should really read a bit more about things before dissing them.

Anyways, just chill out dude.. you're getting on my nerves and I'm sure quite a few others share my sentiments.

OEM Alien
05-23-2002, 01:05 AM
Originally posted by Dre

You are quite the clueless individual aren't you. Also, although you might find it really cool to write in big red text, the rest of us don't. Please stop.

Blinx is the first ever game of its kind, you should really read a bit more about things before dissing them.

Anyways, just chill out dude.. you're getting on my nerves and I'm sure quite a few others share my sentiments. clueless - no i am not clueless
big red letters are fun, YOU ARE NOT.
blinx = another weak azz game that is made for the install base of kids that own ps2s, therefore instead of that particular game developer making a game that no one with an xbox will buy, they should have made a fps instead.
furthermore... blinx is GEHY. ;)
btw- you need to stop trying to cause trouble for cool people like me on these forums.
bow down beeyatch! :cool:

Dre
05-23-2002, 07:02 AM
clueless - no i am not clueless
big red letters are fun, YOU ARE NOT.
blinx = another weak azz game that is made for the install base of kids that own ps2s, therefore instead of that particular game developer making a game that no one with an xbox will buy, they should have made a fps instead.
furthermore... blinx is GEHY. ;)
btw- you need to stop trying to cause trouble for cool people like me on these forums.
bow down beeyatch! :cool:

LOL, how much deeper do you really want to stick that foot in your mouth. Comon... a bit more!

X-Ray
05-23-2002, 01:45 PM
Originally posted by Dre

LOL, how much deeper do you really want to stick that foot in your mouth. Comon... a bit more!

Gentlemen, gentlemen, you're fighting over font size and color! It really doesn't matter. Of course there are other causes of this conflict (like blinx), but those can all be debated in a civilized manner.

Back on subject, even with FPS's there is a huge problem--people quit quite often when they get behind. In a racing game, people will quit even sooner IMO. When my brother and I play Fever (or when we used to play 2k1 for the DC) we almost never finish the game. As soon as one person falls far enough behind the other turns off the console and runs away! This will still be a problem in FPS, but so far it hasn't been as big of one in my opinion; this is based on my experience playing Halo on XBConnect, my experience with online strategy--both real time and turn based--my experience with online racers, and my experiences with my brother. I think that the quit factor threatens to take a lot of fun out of on-line gaming. To some extent, buddy lists and playing with people you know should combat this, but not entirely.

OEM Alien
05-23-2002, 07:03 PM

Gentlemen, gentlemen, you're fighting over font size and color! It really doesn't matter. Of course there are other causes of this conflict (like blinx), but those can all be debated in a civilized manner.

Back on subject, even with FPS's there is a huge problem--people quit quite often when they get behind. In a racing game, people will quit even sooner IMO. When my brother and I play Fever (or when we used to play 2k1 for the DC) we almost never finish the game. As soon as one person falls far enough behind the other turns off the console and runs away! This will still be a problem in FPS, but so far it hasn't been as big of one in my opinion; this is based on my experience playing Halo on XBConnect, my experience with online strategy--both real time and turn based--my experience with online racers, and my experiences with my brother. I think that the quit factor threatens to take a lot of fun out of on-line gaming. To some extent, buddy lists and playing with people you know should combat this, but not entirely. yeah, there's a way to combat the quiters syndrome in online gaming.... stats/ranking that STAY with the user. so say for instance, if you are in the lobby ready and waiting to play someone, you can see their stats and rankings. so if they have a history of quiting on people, just don't play them. the more they finish games their stat will rise to a positive status, the more they quit on people in the middle of games the worse their quitter staus will be, and less people will play them. this always used to happen to me in nfl2k1 on d.c. i'd start whoopin azz on someone and they would quit like a little spoiled brat who doesn't get to win (grrrrrrr). but i NEVER quit, i came back many times and beat my opponent in games, and they were like "damn you came back and won!" and i was like "yeah, and i didn't quit, see!. :)" and they always gave me respect for not quiting on them, even if i lost anyways.
THE SOLUTION TO QUITTERS IS LABEL THE QUITERS LIKE A SEX OFFENDER GETS A LABEL
hehe :D