PDA

View Full Version : Finished Azurik (spoilers)

khaos2005
05-20-2002, 06:20 AM
Well, I beat it. I didn't do it in a very fast time, but it's done. It took me 189 days. That's about 30 hours of gameplay that saved, which is maybe 50 total hours playing the game. I have 79 obsidians, which is pretty good I suppose. I have a few questions though, for those that beat it.

After the elevator and beating Balthazar, it shows me putting back the Death disk and the hilarious credits start. However, my last save is still before I beat Balthazar. In other words, when I continue, Balthazar is still fightable. Does that mean my Death disk is not placed? How do I save it after he is dead?

Actually, I guess that's my only question, for now.

D a m n, that was an awesome game! It was highly underrated. I don't see how someone could not like it.

XboxGamers
05-20-2002, 06:25 AM
I'm getting this game. Man the combos with the earth, fire, water and air is really cool. The graphics are sweet too. I have OXM #3 playable demo of this game and WOW! I'm picking it up now.

Hugh_Jass
05-20-2002, 12:05 PM
There are three types of people in this world:

1) Those that love Azurik
2) Those that hate Azurik
3) Those that claim to love Azurik but never finished because they are easily distracted (a.k.a., "The Maximus Syndrome")

X-Ray
05-20-2002, 12:53 PM
Originally posted by Hugh_Jass

3) Those that claim to love Azurik but never finished because they are easily distracted (a.k.a., "The Maximus Syndrome")

I've never played the game, but according to the reviews I've read (even in OXM) group #2 seem to be predominant. Of those who fall in category #1, how good would they say it is?

l Maximus l
05-20-2002, 12:57 PM
Originally posted by Hugh_Jass

lol, dude...yes, I have the "Maximus" Syndrome. I get easily distracted with Halo, I must admit it :D But, I do enjoy Azurik...it's a lot of fun and definately the most underrated game for the XBox. In my opinion, I think any Zelda fan would find Azurik to be even better. There is so much depth, yet, it has free roaming but is linear enough to be like Zelda.

Duke
05-20-2002, 01:00 PM
First positive things I've heard about Azurik. Might get it, looking for a new game and the ones I'm really waiting for don't start coming out till fall.

thanks

X-Ray
05-20-2002, 01:07 PM
Originally posted by Maximus

lol, dude...yes, I have the "Maximus" Syndrome. I get easily distracted with Halo, I must admit it :D But, I do enjoy Azurik...it's a lot of fun and definately the most underrated game for the XBox. In my opinion, I think any Zelda fan would find Azurik to be even better. There is so much depth, yet, it has free roaming but is linear enough to be like Zelda.

Well that's a plus. I miss ocarina of time. So do you think it's the smurfiness (they have blue skin) that gives it a bad rap?

khaos2005
05-20-2002, 03:05 PM
This game is simply the best. I would have to say it is one of my best gaming experiences, ever. Seriously, no joke. I would tell everyone to go buy it if I could. If the overall sales turn out to be okay, I think they might make a sequel. I sure hope that's more than a rumor.

Has anyone beat it though, that could answer any of the original questions?

dave_m123
05-20-2002, 03:28 PM
Seems theres quite a large difference of opinion between professional reviewers (those who arent fans and seem to hate it) and proper gamers (fans who seem to love it). Im getting it free in the loyalty package and it does sound like a cool game that has some good playtime in it.

X-Ray
05-20-2002, 04:10 PM
This thread has provoked me to seriously consider buying this game! I juat have one question: It's not one of those games made by people who assume that gamers enjoy searching for a way to unlock this door or find this or that is it?

Dre
05-20-2002, 04:12 PM
Originally posted by X-Ray
This thread has provoked me to seriously consider buying this game! I juat have one question: It's not one of those games made by people who assume that gamers enjoy searching for a way to unlock this door or find this or that is it?

At some times, yes. But if it gets too frustrating, www.gamefaqs.com :)

VenoM
05-20-2002, 04:48 PM
im sorry but i found this game to be a big disappointment.....it simply sucked :( not just sucked but sucked majorly...i would put it right by kabuki warriors....wasnt impressed graphically either...have you seen the blue guy in the water swimming =0 horrible...reminds me of the guy from jungle hunt...this is one of the worst xbox games imo....and the music just sucked...it was the same low tune looping over and over and over again...how boring...the enemy models are horrible also.....they look cheap and corny...can tell the developers were to lazy to make them look better.....i expected way better for an xbox game thats for sure...i suggest you rent it first before you buy...just cause someone says its good doesnt mean it is same with someone saying its horrible (me)....rent the game and if you like then buy it.....but honestly i played over an hour and i wanted to give up on the first 20 minutes cause i couldnt stand it :eek: i figured i'll give it more time..maybe it'll get better.........nope it didnt :( its not worth 50 bucks...not even 30 bucks...maybe 15-20 i would say but even that is to much for a sucky game

CALzinger
05-20-2002, 05:08 PM
its all great and everything, i love the game

but.....

i guess it sort of isn't my taste, i love it and all, but its just sort of different than what i like. i like rpgs with great variety of gameplay, not just 4 different powers in combos.

remeber this is just MY opinion, u might like the game urself

just remeber, i dont hate the game, i like it, but its sort of different than what i expected

UltraMuffin
05-20-2002, 05:12 PM
I too, love Azurik. I think people are heavily influenced by magazine reviews... that's the only explanation I can give to why people hate it... I bet half those people haven't even played it. It's a very long game too.

Here is my theory to why OXM bashed it: They were looking for a game to give a horrible review, to show their readers that they weren't just going to give every game a good review... So they picked Azurik. I think Azurik has gotten the lowest review score so far in OXM, but if you look around other places, you'll find it got at least a mediocre score.

l Maximus l
05-20-2002, 05:15 PM

Well that's a plus. I miss ocarina of time. So do you think it's the smurfiness (they have blue skin) that gives it a bad rap?

Honestly, I can't put my finger why people give Azurik a bad wrap. The only thing that I can think of is that people don't have enough patience with it. I will admit, I had to put in a few hours before actually getting into this game. And, after I put in about 6 hours, I was hooked and it turned out to be one of the most addicting action/adventure games I've ever played! It's really long... The host of this thread claimed to have beaten it in about 50 hours. I have over 80 hours into it and I'm almost finished...I figure I will wrap it up in about 20 more hours! No joke! It's a long and fun game!

The way I would describe Azurik is that it is a free-roaming, linear action adventure game with *some* RPG elements to it. The more you progress during the game, the more powerful Azurik gets. In his mission, he has to gain "Air power", "Water power", "Earth Power", and "Fire Power"...all of those powers have three levels and can, arguably, be referred to as "1st Firepower, 2nd Firepower, and 3rd Fire Power" respectively. The more power levels you get, the more open the game becomes...meaning, you can go into new territories.

Azurik is for more of the intellectual gamer trying to figure out how and where to accomplish things...very much like Zelda's Ocarina of Time. I would bet that if more people just put in the few hours to get into it, they would be hooked.

CALzinger
05-20-2002, 05:16 PM
Originally posted by UltraMuffin
I too, love Azurik. I think people are heavily influenced by magazine reviews... that's the only explanation I can give to why people hate it... I bet half those people haven't even played it. It's a very long game too.

Here is my theory to why OXM bashed it: They were looking for a game to give a horrible review, to show their readers that they weren't just going to give every game a good review... So they picked Azurik. I think Azurik has gotten the lowest review score so far in OXM, but if you look around other places, you'll find it got at least a mediocre score.

i must agree, oxm's reviews are horribly inaccurate. the only reason i subscribe oxm is because of news and previews, which makes me think that i could get their exact same info here at XBA, but not the cover discs.

truly though, think about it, couldn't they have gave kabuki warriors a 3.7?

(sorry to anyone who absolutely loves that game...)

l Maximus l
05-20-2002, 05:21 PM

During many parts, it's exactly like that, however, you are not left in the dust like many other games similar to it. In the town, if you walk up to the tower, you can get direction on where you need to go to accomplish your next linear task.

As for VenoM's take on Azurik swimming...yes, I do agree that they could have made him look a little better...Azurik tends to swim a little stiff...other than that, the graphics of the game are nice, I think :)

UltraMuffin
05-20-2002, 05:22 PM
Yeah, I don't pay much attention to the magazine anymore, I subscribed for the discs! :D

Oh, and if you're thinking about getting Azurik, prepare to start looking for lots of keys and stuff hehe

khaos2005
05-20-2002, 07:40 PM
Yes Max, I did "beat" the game in about 50 playing hours. However, I initially beat the game at about 190 days. One of the producers of the game, on the official Azurik board, informed me that he knows of someone who has beaten it in less than 120 days. So I'm not at all special. :D

Let's not forget, I still have quite a few gems to get, and about 20 obsidians. I have a good 10 hours left, until it's 100% beaten.

SPOILER:
The one thing I cannot understand is how to save it after beating Balthazar for the second time. It just shows me getting the final disk (death disk), placing it in the tower, and then rolls the credits. When the game resumes, I still have to fight Balthazar, and don't have the death disk. I don't understand, so if someone knows, please enlighten me. Thanks.
END

My opinion: get the game. Seriously. Sure, there is a few bad things, but just a few. No game is perfect. You'll love it, seriously. Last I checked at EB World, it was $30. You can't go wrong at that price. It IS worth the $50 I payed for it, certainly.

X-Ray
05-20-2002, 08:20 PM
Well I can hanlde some "key-searching," but it's not my favorite thing so maybe I'll wait for the price to come down some more.

Seriously though, I will eventually get the game, but when I saw the movie on one of the OXM discs, I about laughed myself into stitches! I probably just got the wrong impression, and a lot of good games (Zelda: Ocarina of Time) sound and look pretty darn dumb until you play them.