PDA

View Full Version : help on xbconnect/gamespy

chili325
05-20-2002, 12:09 PM
I have everything connected, i have a linksys hub and im sure that all cables are in correctly. The hub recognizes everything but the xbox cable(system link cable) and I am not able to go online. Is this cable not compatible?

OppiumNitrates
05-20-2002, 12:26 PM
first off there is a Forum deicated to posts like this . . .

second is it a LinkSys router or hub . . .

third r u using GameSpy or XBconnect??

i also have a linkSys router and have helped many people get set up and i can prob help u . . .

l Maximus l
05-20-2002, 12:37 PM
Originally posted by chili325
I have everything connected, i have a linksys hub and im sure that all cables are in correctly. The hub recognizes everything but the xbox cable(system link cable) and I am not able to go online. Is this cable not compatible?

Well, the "System Link cable" is the culprit. Keep in mind that the "System Link Cable" is simply a standar Crossover cable. So, to fix your problem, you need to, instead, use a patch cable, not a crossover.

Crossover cables (System Link cable) is only for hooking two XBoxes together (also used for hooking two computers together). When you do this, you don't, of course, need a HUB or Switch. But, because you have the presence of a Switch, you need to use patch cables instead. That's your solution :)

chili325
05-20-2002, 12:40 PM
thanx max, i thought that was kinda odd that all the other cables were detected.

OppiumNitrates
05-20-2002, 12:40 PM
Originally posted by Maximus

Well, the "System Link cable" is the culprit. Keep in mind that the "System Link Cable" is simply a standar Crossover cable. So, to fix your problem, you need to, instead, use a patch cable, not a crossover.

Crossover cables (System Link cable) is only for hooking two XBoxes together (also used for hooking two computers together). When you do this, you don't, of course, need a HUB or Switch. But, because you have the presence of a Switch, you need to use patch cables instead. That's your solution :)

really :confused:

i thought that the system link cable would work with a hub or switch . . . i mean that is the cable that MS plan their users r going to have for using XBL right

chili325
05-20-2002, 12:47 PM
Thats what i thought, maybe this is a plan to trick buyers out of money, or maybe they are unaware. Though i highly doubt the latter.

l Maximus l
05-20-2002, 12:49 PM
Originally posted by OppiumNitrates

really :confused:

i thought that the system link cable would work with a hub or switch . . . i mean that is the cable that MS plan their users r going to have for using XBL right

It depends on the hookup. Since the System Link cable is a Crossover cable, it can only be used to hook up two XBoxes together.

To get on-line with XBConnect or something and still using a Crossover cable, you would have to have your Broadband modem connecting via USB and then simply connect the Crossover cable from your Ethernet card to your XBox. That's the only way you would use a Crossover (System Link cable) other than hooking two XBoxes together.

As for XBox Live, I'm still going to use my current set-up that I use for XBConnect because I want to use my broadband modem not only for XBox Live, but, to also use it for searching the internet. For people that don't use a computer but are going to by Broadband internet access, they can simply connect the modem directly to the XBox and that will likely be a Patch cable, not a Crossover since the XBox has a built in Ethernet card.

Hope that helps :)

l Maximus l
05-20-2002, 12:52 PM
Originally posted by chili325
Thats what i thought, maybe this is a plan to trick buyers out of money, or maybe they are unaware. Though i highly doubt the latter.

I strongly doubt that Microsoft is trying to trick buyers since the System Link cable is primarily used for connecting two XBoxes for LAN gameplay. So, with two XBoxes, you can have up to 8 people playing Halo, for example, all at the same time on two televisions.

To get more than two XBoxes, you need a HUB or Switch and you have to use patch cables. The System Link cable won't work with the presence of a HUB or Switch since it is a Crossover cable.