PDA

View Full Version : Is it posslible?

X-Ray
05-20-2002, 12:50 PM
Is it possible to write a game that, through system-link and eventually X-Box Live, could accomadate more than 4 X-Box's and thus more than a maximum of 16 people?

Obviously unless it were on a LAN a sytem link game w/ more than 4 boxes would lag in most, but not all, cases, but what about x-box live? All the articles about games that are to come out this spring or later seem to indicate that a maximum of 16 players can be accomadated.

If more than 16 could play, that would be very cool.:cool:

PROUDXBOXOWNER
05-20-2002, 12:51 PM
what is posslible?

Xtopia
05-20-2002, 12:51 PM
UC will support 32 players...I think...

l Maximus l
05-20-2002, 12:54 PM
Originally posted by Xtopia

Yep...I think it's 32 people on-line and 16 in a LAN. I guess we'll see. I imagine that there will be two options on the main menu for Unreal Championship. One option will launch you to XBox Live and the other will be the System Link option.

If you think about it, how often can you seriously get 16 dudes together, let alone 32 people together in one house? lol...That's tough!! :D

Playing on-line with 32 total people will be much more effective. I can't wait!!!!

Xtopia
05-20-2002, 01:01 PM
Originally posted by Maximus
If you think about it, how often can you seriously get 16 dudes together, let alone 32 people together in one house? lol...That's tough!! :D

Exactly! 32 people in my house would not even be fun!

X-Ray
05-20-2002, 01:04 PM

Are you guys sure that's not the PC version. I'm probably, no definately, wrong but I think (I actually don't think) I read somewhere (I have no idea where) that even UC would be 16 player.

But even then, I would like to be able to host 32 x-boxes because, although a game with potentially 128 players would be utter chaos, how often do you find gams with four to a box? Every now and then but not that often.

Xtopia
05-20-2002, 01:06 PM
Originally posted by X-Ray

Are you guys sure that's not the PC version. I'm probably, no definately, wrong but I think (I actually don't think) I read somewhere (I have no idea where) that even UC would be 16 player.

But even then, I would like to be able to host 32 x-boxes because, although a game with potentially 128 players would be utter chaos, how often do you find gams with four to a box? Every now and then but not that often.

Read before you post, bro. Maximus already confirmed my guess.

X-Ray
05-20-2002, 01:09 PM

Read before you post, bro. Maximus already confirmed my guess.

I was referring to both of your posts. BTW, we're in the same building, why don't you tell it to my face, punk? Just kidding!;) :cool:

Xtopia
05-20-2002, 01:10 PM

I was referring to both of your posts. BTW, we're in the same building, why don't you tell it to my face, punk? Just kidding!;) :cool:

:confused: :confused: :confused:

l Maximus l
05-20-2002, 01:11 PM

Unreal Championship will not be on the PC. However, the new Unreal Tournament will be on the PC. Unreal Championship, on the XBox, has been rumored to be able to play 32 dudes all at the same time while on-line. However, every rumor I have read in regards to the System Link capability was only 16 people. If you ask me, I have a hard enough time getting 8 people together for a System Link game, let alone 16 or let alone 32!! lol...But, for on-line gaming, it should be much easier.

I wonder how it will work, though. Does everyone have to have 4 people on each box? Or will there be an option for singles to jump in and still create 32 total players?

In other words, do you guys think that a total of 8 XBoxes having a total of 4 people per box will be able to be played on-line via XBox Live while playing Unreal Championship or is it possible to have 32 XBoxes connecting with single players only? I guess we'll see. My guess is that it will be a total of 8 XBoxes with four people on each box.

X-Ray
05-20-2002, 01:25 PM

Unreal Championship will not be on the PC. However, the new Unreal Tournament will be on the PC. Unreal Championship, on the XBox, has been rumored to be able to play 32 dudes all at the same time while on-line. However, every rumor I have read in regards to the System Link capability was only 16 people. If you ask me, I have a hard enough time getting 8 people together for a System Link game, let alone 16 or let alone 32!! lol...But, for on-line gaming, it should be much easier..

Too true...too true. My brother and I usually have 2 (sometimes three) on our box and the largest game we tend to have is like a 6v 6 (usually with Aymeric hosting!). But online will hopefully be easier to get large games. (By "online" I mean X-Box Live)

I wonder how it will work, though. Does everyone have to have 4 people on each box? Or will there be an option for singles to jump in and still create 32 total players?

This is an interesting take. I hope it will accomadate 32 players rather than eight boxes. People with fewer than 4 to a box should still be able to enjoy large games. Although there is the lag factor that will certainly be reduced and hopefully eliminated on msn. (by lag i mean the phenomonon that lag increases the more boxes one hosts.)

In other words, do you guys think that a total of 8 XBoxes having a total of 4 people per box will be able to be played on-line via XBox Live while playing Unreal Championship or is it possible to have 32 XBoxes connecting with single players only? I guess we'll see. My guess is that it will be a total of 8 XBoxes with four people on each box.

Unfortunetly, my prognosis is that you are correct: it will only be able to accomadate 8 boxes. We'll have to see. My hopes are high!

Xbox Owner
05-20-2002, 01:34 PM
I'm confused.:confused:

dave_m123
05-20-2002, 01:42 PM
If i recall correctly Moto GP supports 16 consoles in Multilink play.

X-Ray
05-20-2002, 01:43 PM
Originally posted by XBox Owner

Thanks for sharing.;)

Are there any questions we can answer (or they can answer 'cause I guarantee I can't) to alleviate you confusion?

JJaX
05-20-2002, 01:53 PM
Bringing Unreal Championship to life
Unreal Championship will contain all new individualized characters who have their own abilities and origins, over 25 exotic indoor and outdoor locales, out of the box Internet play with up to 16 players online, 4-player split screen, system link capability, exciting gameplay modes, land and air vehicles, new and returning weapons, and a package of power-ups that will make you giddy with glee.

http://www.unrealchampionship.com/about.html

l Maximus l
05-20-2002, 02:01 PM
Originally posted by XBox Owner

I'll try and clear up what I was trying to say:

Let's take a game like Unreal Championship that claims to allow a total of 32 player on-line. Keep in mind that on each XBox you can have up to four people. Now, by having four people on each XBox, you would have to have a total of eight XBoxes to get a total of 32 people. My question is, to be able to play with 32 people, will we be required to only have 8 XBoxes that have four people on each box OR is it possible to have one person on one XBox (32 total XBoxes) to be able to play a 32-person match?

Does that help? :D

l Maximus l
05-20-2002, 02:03 PM
Originally posted by JJaX
Unreal Championship will contain all new individualized characters who have their own abilities and origins, over 25 exotic indoor and outdoor locales, out of the box Internet play with up to 16 players online, 4-player split screen, system link capability, exciting gameplay modes, land and air vehicles, new and returning weapons, and a package of power-ups that will make you giddy with glee.

That is good information...I have heard only 16 players all at once while on-line and 32 total players on-line. Both came from Digital Extremes, the makers of Unreal Championship. I'm not sure how old that article is that you posted, but, I recall reading that a few months ago. So, I guess we'll have to see. Even if it's 16 players on-line only, that is still plenty!!

X-Ray
05-20-2002, 02:03 PM
Originally posted by JJaX

This is quite conclusive. However there is some ambiguity: 1. When they say on-line are they referring to tunnel software and eventuall X-Box live? (a minor point but an important distinction nonetheless) and 2. when they say thirty two players does that mean a maximum of eight X-Boxes?

So if UC isn't going to be able to accomadate more than 16 people I wonder if it's possible. Does anyone really know?

I must confess, I merely skimmed the profile you linked us to so I might have missed something.

JJaX
05-20-2002, 02:23 PM
i would imagine the Lobby software will be bulit in as all Xbox live compatible games.

I was hoping 16 players MaX on server. But 16 Xboxs, Just like any PC online FPS game.

But 4 to a box 16 player games (4 boxs) like halo will be just fine.

Brevity
05-20-2002, 02:40 PM
Check this I play a lan party here every Friday atleast,,,and sometimes on sat. And 16 peps R nothing new,,,,it rocks now to have them all here plus 16 over the net then that would kick some realy AZZ. I cant wait, I will be there the sec. UC hits the stand, or what ever.:D

X-Ray
05-20-2002, 08:54 PM
Originally posted by Brevity
Check this I play a lan party here every Friday atleast,,,and sometimes on sat. And 16 peps R nothing new,,,,it rocks now to have them all here plus 16 over the net then that would kick some realy AZZ. I cant wait, I will be there the sec. UC hits the stand, or what ever.:D

You my friend are one lucky SOB. I don't even think I know four people with an X-Box in my area.

Xtopia
05-20-2002, 08:58 PM

You my friend are one lucky SOB. I don't even think I know four people with an X-Box in my area.

Nope..we don't!:(