PDA

View Full Version : About the new Online versions of games

RadRider
05-20-2002, 09:25 PM
Amped, Project Gotham and Rallisport will have new incarnations. Will these be whole new games or will they be updates like with DOA3? I'd prefer the latter, but I realize that may not be possible. I read some guy who posted that it's "microsoft's way" to release a game, then an updated version of the game just after, although I think that's more EA's style, and the movie industry's style. Anybody have more precise info here?

Xtopia
05-20-2002, 09:34 PM
I don't but I am curious...I think it is new games...because it mentioned Halo 2, not Halo 1.5 or whatever...

RadRider
05-20-2002, 09:36 PM
Oh yes. Well, now when I look at it, it doesn't mention Halo Online, but it does mention Project Gotham online, so ignore that whole Halo deal. Now what do you think? Oh yes, I will edit my post now too.

X-Ray
05-20-2002, 10:09 PM
Originally posted by RadRider
Amped, Project Gotham and Rallisport will have new incarnations. Will these be whole new games or will they be updates like with DOA3? I'd prefer the latter, but I realize that may not be possible. I read some guy who posted that it's "microsoft's way" to release a game, then an updated version of the game just after, although I think that's more EA's style, and the movie industry's style. Anybody have more precise info here?

I'm betting they're going to be sequels. And yes, it is more EA's style to rip you off!

RadRider
05-20-2002, 10:23 PM
I bet they're not sequels. I think if they're sequels, they'd be putting "amped 2, project gotham 2, rallisport 2" not simply "amped (online with xbox live), project gotham (online with xbox live) and rallisport (online with xbox live)". Not to sound overbearing or anything.

Nerrad529
05-21-2002, 01:42 AM
I don't know what there trying to do? Make microsoft some more$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ like they need it. Nerrad529

Marc
05-21-2002, 02:46 AM
It's bad enough that EA rips us off, now Microsoft? What...do they want us to bend over?

mercsix
05-21-2002, 08:20 AM
I think I will hold my judgement until I read a little more about it. I wouldn't be suprised if the new versions of the games had on-line support and if you have the old versions you could logon to XBOXLIVE and download the add-ons.

JJaX
05-21-2002, 08:57 AM
Im guessing they are gonna sell add-on disc. It would really pi55 a lot of people of if they had to buy a new game. And if they do make us buy a new game there is most likely a rebate offer with the original game.

I dont think the games mentioned are sequels, Just upgrades.

Dre
05-21-2002, 09:09 AM
Amped online... right.. it might just be me, but this game has crap multiplayer abilities as is. I think it would be totally sweet though if the online version lets people all go down the hill at the same time. Say 16 riders per slope. That would be cool... especially if I can shout stuff at them, set up races at the top of the hill, etc. But shouting stuff would be the coolest :)

MOrgE
05-21-2002, 09:18 AM
i think that if the new games do require a whole new game disc, Microsoft will compensate the people who already own the older version.

Doesn't it seem like Microsoft has been extra nice to us (the XBOX users)????

ie: Europe freebies, pricedrop, cheap online service, research into cheaper model..

:D

anthrax0r
05-21-2002, 09:56 AM
Im thinking they are going to be sequels. They already announce Amped 2 for late this year/early next about a month ago. They surely wouldnt develop an addon disc when the sequel is being worked on already with online support.

Though they will probably address this more in detail as E3 progresses.

dougi3000
05-21-2002, 10:00 AM
you guys complain way too much.

it will probably be another separate game which you have to pay another $50 for.

Game companies put out the same game with "extra features" before, and people don't complain as much as you guys. Like in Japan Dreamcast, i think Dead or Alive 2 (LE), SFA3 Online, SSF2 Online, Puzzle Fighter Online, and coming on PS2 Silient Hill 2x.

you can always just trade or sell your copy to someone who doesnt have broadband, or not planning on getting xbox live.

mercsix
05-21-2002, 12:13 PM
"and future versions of Xbox original blockbusters like "Halo™," "RalliSport Challenge," "Amped™" and "Project Gotham Racing™."

This quote was from J. Allard about the future plans of XboxLive and games that will support it, so this tells me they will be sequels.

X-Ray
05-21-2002, 01:07 PM
Originally posted by Marc
It's bad enough that EA rips us off, now Microsoft? What...do they want us to bend over?

It's not ripping anyone off! you're not forced to buy it. Note that NO games, not one were realeased at launch that have online (not just system-link) capability--not one! Now if you have to buy the new version, then so be it--it will be money well spent. Microsoft might also do something where you send them your old disk and they send you the upgrade.*

*I have not link, source, or authority on this. This is merely my own speculation based on limited or non-existant information--pure speculation based on my hunch. Do not expect me to confirm, substantiate or defend this viewpoint.

Snoopy7548
05-21-2002, 02:06 PM
Originally posted by mercsix
I think I will hold my judgement until I read a little more about it. I wouldn't be suprised if the new versions of the games had on-line support and if you have the old versions you could logon to XBOXLIVE and download the add-ons.

yea, i think this is what therye gonna do. cause microsoft said that the new xbox online service would allow people to download stuff and updates, so theyll most likely use it for downloading updates to games

Hugh_Jass
05-21-2002, 11:18 PM
I predict that most (if not all) system-link games are XBOX online capable right out of the box. Furthermore, I'll wager that these features will be unlockable simply by logging into the XBOX online service and downloading a patch.

Whether these patches will be free or not is questionable. With a subscription fee of $50/year ($4.16/month), MS probably doesn't want to give away the farm. If I was MS I would charge $5 per existing system link title to unlock the patch.

Nerrad529
05-21-2002, 11:20 PM
After watching the e3 video I don't care what they do. They got some pretty solid stuff coming up. Yeah

X-Ray
05-22-2002, 12:04 AM
When I watched the E3 video they talked about "franchises" not particular games. Franchise implys sequels. (i.e. GTA 1, GTA 2, and GTA 3 are all part of the same franchise even though they're seperate games. You might call it the GTA franchise)