PDA

View Full Version : Sony pays Square to stay

sinizuh
10-09-2001, 09:17 AM
PlayStation 2: Sony will pay $124 million for 19 percent of Japanese developer Square, which was hit hard by the poor performance of its Final Fantasy movie. Rumors of possible Gamecube / Xbox deals now look unlikely.

In a statement to the Tokyo State Exchange, Square said that Sony will pay 1,330 yen a share for 11.2 million shares, reports Bloomberg. Sony's move will undoubtedly go a long way to securing its hold on the Final Fantasy franchise, which has notched up 33 million units in global sales.

In the run-up to the Tokyo Game Show later this month, the last few weeks have seen a flurry of rumors suggesting that a possible deal between Square and Nintendo was in the works. There's also been constant talk of Microsoft taking a stab at the company. This deal seems to confirm that whatever Square does in the future, it will be on a PlayStation branded console.

Square will also write off 10.7 billion yen, around 75 percent of its investment in Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within. The computer-animated movie was released in July and took $32 million at the U.S. box office. The only problem was that it took around $135 million to make...

ouch... sony doesn't want square to go cause they want FF all to themselves! bastards!

ThomasHun
10-09-2001, 09:28 AM
Be cool if square took the money and ported the xbox any **** way.

Vipermmx
10-09-2001, 02:54 PM
Who cares. Morrowind is everything Square cant do. american PC dev's rock in the RPG area. To hell with that crappy turn based junk. Get Project Ego or Morrowind for your needs.

I always thought FF sucked ass. The RPG was boring and story was the only thing it had. Gameplay sucked. Maybe I just like Spells and stuff in a realtime sense.

Marc
10-09-2001, 11:37 PM
Squaresoft is NOT all that. I personally don't give a ***** if they make xbox games are not. Nightcaster and Azurik look better than any Final Fantasy game ever thought about looking.

Dan Livingston
10-10-2001, 07:59 PM
I don't even have the time to play RPG's. I bought zelda:ocerena just to try them out. it was good, and i don't think i got further then when you first grow up, but it takes sooo many hours just to progress.

Square does make a difference, because they sell systems. if square went to xbox, a whole lot of people would have hopped on the bandwagon. and I was skeptical about they rumors of the square/nintendo deal, because of they way that they HATE each other. ( if you remember nintendo's statement denying rumors that square will absolutly NOT make games for their systems.)

SeTH
10-10-2001, 08:15 PM
I really like the Final Fantasy games.......but if Square can't even see the oppurtunity with XBOX (if they want to save money they should make xbox games instead. I heard it cost 3 times the $ to program for PS2 and also it takes alot longer to make games for PS2 besides XBOX could really make FF games really explode with detail!!!) Then they deserve to make FF games for SONY. I think Project Ego looks more promising though you can do WHATEVER you want and there is hardly no storyline to follow! I think I Speak for everybody @ XBOXaddict.com when I say: If SQUARESOFT wants to do PS2 Then they can just suck on XBOX's 9.5 foot controller cord! :eek: :D

Dan Livingston
10-10-2001, 10:06 PM
Now that i thought of it, the Xbox's DVD can hold more, so they could cram in a gex amount of speech and extra features. And also, if the PS2 is harder to code for, i would think that it would require more code, making the PS2's disk even smaller!

ThomasHun
10-11-2001, 12:39 PM
If I was a game maker I would definitely work for the easiest console to code for.:cool:

Severe_Tire_Damage
10-13-2001, 02:08 PM
Originally posted by Marc
Squaresoft is NOT all that. I personally don't give a ***** if they make xbox games are not. Nightcaster and Azurik look better than any Final Fantasy game ever thought about looking.

I totally agree!

Prfthtfnbyridts
10-13-2001, 02:41 PM
Originally posted by Marc

So that means Aurik and Nightcaster are better games just because they have better graphics?

And you must not have seen FFX pictures yet, they're not better than Azurik but they are just as good.