PDA

View Full Version : morrowind reviews....

yall
05-22-2002, 10:30 AM
mind you these are for the pc version, but there shouldnt be much of a difference. these were obtained from www.gonegold.com.....

Action Trip (91%) "Morrowind is an excellent game. In terms of gameplay, there's very little more that can be offered by such a far-reaching endeavor, and Bethesda should be proud of such a fine effort."

All Out Games (93%) "Morrowind is the chance for players to craft their own stories, their own destiny, and their own future of Vvardenfell. It's impossible to fully comprehend the game without actually playing, so it's safe to say that any RPG fan should already have a copy. Even people who never liked roleplaying games in the past may find themselves happily lost on the sun swept shores of Ebonheart, enchanting their swords, crafting wicked spells, or trying to make that new powerful potion using the game's extensive alchemy system. Whatever your tastes, you'll find something to do in Vvardenfell, and you will have a great time doing it."

The Electric Playground (7/10) "It's one of the best-looking RPGs ever, if only the game system was as good."

GameGenie (5/5) "a great game. There’s so much to do, and fine ways of doing it, that the gameplay is top-notch. And the graphics, my stars! Every place in the game is a potential screenshot. I can say that Morrowind is the best RPG I’ve ever played, but that isn’t saying much of doing the game much justice. It’s a huge world full of things to do, in any order you can think of"

Gamers.com (8/10) "in many ways, this appears to be my dream game: an experience where I can do whatever I want and be whomever I want. It's like Everquest, but you don't have to deal with any real people"

Games Domain (4½/5) "It's an awe-inspiring game: deep and filled with interesting things to do. Some will call it sprawling, unfocused and dull, and in a way they're right. But those grabbed by Morrowind will stay grabbed until they see everything the world has to offer. It could take months - and who knows what gems the community will come up with using the editor by then? This remarkable game deserves to be played by anyone with even the slightest interest in RPGs."

GameSpy (89%) "Morrowind's free form style of play, allowing you to take any path you like, combined with excellent visuals is a recipe for role-playing nirvana."

GameZone (9.3/10) "This game will keep you entertained for hours on end. The game is really open ended, and you can do whatever your heart desires. Morrowind will keep an average player occupied for a minimum of a couple hundred hours. There are so many things to do in this game, and it will differ a little with each race and class that is chosen for a different experience"

IGN (9.4/10) "Morrowind isn't perfect and its system requirements are huge; but its accomplishments outweigh any reservations, in my opinion. It isn't for everybody, but then what game is? This one shows more planning, talent (aesthetic, programming, and design) and creative vision than anything I've played in a very long time"

RPGDot (97%) "an outstanding game - a gem and a classic, and with the editor, they gave all power to the gamers. It has been a long wait, but it was worth every day"

ZenGamer (10/10) "Morrowind succeeds in actually becoming a role playing game when so many others fail. It certainly is not perfect, but it is the pinnacle of its genre. It is enormous, addictive, beautiful, and a journey no serious gamer will want to miss."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dre
05-22-2002, 10:31 AM
Wow.. those scores are very impressive. And all across the board as well! Coming out soon now..

DZNUTZ
05-22-2002, 10:34 AM
nice....very overall solid good scores....xbox's should be just as good if not better.

Duke
05-22-2002, 10:36 AM
This will probably be the firs RPG I've bought since FF2 for SNES.

Hope it lives up to the hype.

Veno
05-22-2002, 11:02 AM
I don't believe the xbox version will be very good. No editor, nothing new to add on, no multiplayer, I'll play it, beat it in maybe 3 weeks, then to the garbage it goes.

RadRider
05-22-2002, 11:03 AM
There's no multiplayer for the PC version either.
And although... oh, it's just Veno again. Nevermind. Haven't you been banned yet?

DZNUTZ
05-22-2002, 11:27 AM
LOL @ multiplayer and beat it in a few weeks....

u must not have a job or school or anything else to do....that game is supossed to take a MINIMUM of 100 hours to beat.

anthrax0r
05-22-2002, 11:57 AM
Not to be the party pooper, but I was a tad disappointed after all the hype. Sure the game is absolutely gorgeous but the gameplay leaves more to be desired. There are numerous issues with the balance of the game that cant be overlooked. And if you think im the only one, the elderscrolls forum seems to display the same type of opinion.

By issues I mean after leveling up for a little while (roughly 5 hours maybe) the game gets way too easy and soon becomes strictly errand running (Item fetching etc..). But this is an RPG so i guess i cant complain about that :D

Hopefully some of the balancing issues will be addressed before the xbox version is released.

Nato King
05-22-2002, 12:22 PM
I love this game and I can't wait until this game comes out. I just preorder it so I know I will have one of the first copy to come out.:)

yall
05-22-2002, 03:12 PM
yeah, there are complaints of balance issues, but it mostly seems to come from people who don't 'play' the game, but instead try to build 'uber' characters. i am a fighter/archer type (no real set classes in the game) and im level 14 now. i still get into fights that are hard to handle. granted they are getting easier, but i know for sure there are plenty of people (guild masters, guards, etc) that would kick my azz in a heartbeat. i cant wait to go home and play it more. my only 2 complaints about the game are the occasional crashes, and the interference line i get while connecting my computer to my tv, which is no fault of the game.

Dre
05-22-2002, 03:26 PM
Originally posted by yall
yeah, there are complaints of balance issues, but it mostly seems to come from people who don't 'play' the game, but instead try to build 'uber' characters. i am a fighter/archer type (no real set classes in the game) and im level 14 now. i still get into fights that are hard to handle. granted they are getting easier, but i know for sure there are plenty of people (guild masters, guards, etc) that would kick my azz in a heartbeat. i cant wait to go home and play it more. my only 2 complaints about the game are the occasional crashes, and the interference line i get while connecting my computer to my tv, which is no fault of the game.

You could not have it more head-on. A friend of mine said that you don't need to put skill pts into acrobatics because you can just jump all the time and increase your ability that way. So I asked him when was the last time that he saw/read about an old wizard jumping all over the place instead of walking. He didn't seem to get it...

Its a role-playing game. If you want a game to level up until you become uber-character then final-fantasy style rpgs (japanese rpgs) are probably more your thing. I personally enjoy both RPG styles, but I also know the way I should play both for MAXIMUM enjoyment.

Morrowind is the kind of game you play as a character. Unlike the FF series, you shouldn't be constantly worrying about being level 12 with 1200 hit points and fire level 3 before battling monster x, y and z.

Spaztic
05-22-2002, 03:37 PM
eb updated the release date to 5/31.....hopefully it comes out by then!

Taranis
05-22-2002, 03:54 PM
Originally posted by Dre

You could not have it more head-on. A friend of mine said that you don't need to put skill pts into acrobatics because you can just jump all the time and increase your ability that way. So I asked him when was the last time that he saw/read about an old wizard jumping all over the place instead of walking. He didn't seem to get it...

Its a role-playing game. If you want a game to level up until you become uber-character then final-fantasy style rpgs (japanese rpgs) are probably more your thing. I personally enjoy both RPG styles, but I also know the way I should play both for MAXIMUM enjoyment.

Morrowind is the kind of game you play as a character. Unlike the FF series, you shouldn't be constantly worrying about being level 12 with 1200 hit points and fire level 3 before battling monster x, y and z. Amen...it's called a "role-playing" game, not a "leveling up" game. I mean if you want to just level up all day, why not just play Progress Quest (http://www.progressquest.com/).

anthrax0r
05-22-2002, 04:09 PM
Originally posted by yall

Ive been playing the game not to maximize my stats but mainly through guild quests. Perhaps thieves can level up faster than usual but almost all the enemies Ive encountered, which is all of them excluding the NPCs, can be easily defeated in 1-2, 3 at most, slashes of the shortblade. This is what im speaking about in terms of balancing issues.

Now the way I see it is they could have incorporated some type of system in which the Enemy strength/hitpoints increase as your character develops. You have to keep in mind that this is also a *game*. If i wanted a true roleplaying experience I could take a walk around my neighborhood.... :D

SkoalMint
05-22-2002, 06:40 PM
Thanks for the info yall. It's good to see all these great PC reviews. I just wish they would hurry up and release the darn thing.