PDA

View Full Version : selectors that use S connections?

DZNUTZ
05-22-2002, 12:00 PM
hey i'm in the market to buy s connections for my xbox and other next gen consoles....i was wondering...are their any of those multi selector gizmos ( a unit that you plug multiple devices in ) that feature s-video support, and if so...what do i need to do..but the s-video supported selector and ..s-video cables for all my next gen consoles? are these things any good? any brands anyone reccomends?

Dre
05-22-2002, 12:05 PM
I bought the ultra a/v kit from madcatz yesterday (i think its the ultra). It came with composite and svideo outputs for video and composite and optical out for sound. The cool thing about the kit is that it also comes with all 3 cables!! An s-video 6ft cable, optical 6ft cable and composite (RCA) cables. I bought the kit for 39.99 CAD$ at Future Shop. I checked the price for just an optical cable and it was 49.99 CAD$!! So, the Madcatz kit is a very good value in my opinion and I recommend it.

DZNUTZ
05-22-2002, 12:08 PM
???? one of us is lost.....first..i'm under the impression that the ms kit does indeed come with the s-video cable...second..i'm more asking about a "selector" a device that allows u to plug several of your consoles,dvds etc in and switch from on to another ( since tv usually limit u to 2-3 )

myabe i'm lost

Dre
05-22-2002, 12:12 PM
Originally posted by DZNUTZ
???? one of us is lost.....first..i'm under the impression that the ms kit does indeed come with the s-video cable...second..i'm more asking about a "selector" a device that allows u to plug several of your consoles,dvds etc in and switch from on to another ( since tv usually limit u to 2-3 )

myabe i'm lost

Ok, I didn't think they did.. when I looked at the box I didn't see an optical and s-video cable.. my bad. Post has been edited.

And, ya.. I guess I totally misunderstood your question.. sorry. I don't have an answer for your real question either.. although I am pretty sure I have seen one of those, just don't remember the specifics.

DZNUTZ
05-22-2002, 12:27 PM
sall good dre...i appreciate the effort....yea i've been told ms does come w/ a s-vid cable...but i'm not sho about the optical..shoot i don't even know what the optical does.

well anywayz..hopefully i'll find out today...i'd hate to go to eb and pick advanced A/v packs with s-video support for all 3 of my next gens...just to find out i didn't need to for some reason becuase theres a "selector" out there that has some sort of gizmo that doesn't require me too

i'm guessing tho that i'll have to buy an advanced pack for all of the consoles , plus and advanced "selector" that supports s-vid...

also i'm wondering if these "selectors" diminish any a/v quality as opossed to just running them directly into my set?

i'm quessing theirs a good chance.

Dre
05-22-2002, 12:29 PM
sall good dre...i appreciate the effort....yea i've been told ms does come w/ a s-vid cable...but i'm not sho about the optical..shoot i don't even know what the optical does.

well anywayz..hopefully i'll find out today...i'd hate to go to eb and pick advanced A/v packs with s-video support for all 3 of my next gens...just to find out i didn't need to for some reason becuase theres a "selector" out there that has some sort of gizmo that doesn't require me too

i'm guessing tho that i'll have to buy an advanced pack for all of the consoles , plus and advanced "selector" that supports s-vid...

also i'm wondering if these "selectors" diminish any a/v quality as opossed to just running them directly into my set?

i'm quessing theirs a good chance.

As an alternative, I know you can get one s-video kit from madcatz for dirt cheap, its only 15 CAD$, that has connectors that go to Xbox, Ps2 and GCN. So if thats why you needed an input selector, you might want to check out that alternative.

Dre
05-22-2002, 12:30 PM
Oh, the optical is for 5.1 sound; its a medium to send digital signals. Connect it to a dolby digital decoder to get the best possible sound from your xbox!

DZNUTZ
05-22-2002, 01:26 PM
wheres lynfx or techie when ya need em?

mercsix
05-22-2002, 01:33 PM
I had to buy a switch box for my reciever it has plenty inputs except SVideo so I have all of my stuff (DVD, XBOX, DirecTV) all going through my switch box. Mine was cheap 19.00 and it works great I got it at wal-mart Crutchfields has some high-end ones with remote controls and stuff so I guess it depends on your taste (or wallet).

Highlite23
05-22-2002, 02:11 PM
Hey, I got one at Best Buy for $24.99, works well, i have my other systems hooked up to it my xbox is on my big screen.

Anyway it's got 4 Inputs (4 systems) R/L Audio Video & S-Video connections. with 1 output of course.

Recoton S-Video Switch SVS1000

DZNUTZ
05-22-2002, 02:17 PM
is there any down grade in audio and video when using a switch?
i heard theres small, but noticable degredation.

Highlite23
05-22-2002, 02:22 PM
is there any down grade in audio and video when using a switch?
i heard theres small, but noticable degredation.

I gotta be honest, i'm not sure. I have a DC, GC, on it now. I had my xbox on it originally but moved it to the big screen with optical & composite connections.

Looked fine when it was on the switch, but i had nothing to compare it to. Sorry.

l Maximus l
05-22-2002, 02:27 PM
Hey, DZNUTZ...yes, they do make selectors that have S-Video on them...I work part time at an Electronics store and we have them. You can have up to four things connected to it...let's say a DVD player, a VCR, a Receiver, and your XBox for example. No problem. It has the connections for composite (yellow, red, and white plugs) and an S-Video input for all four selections. It's definately cool.. :cool: Unfortunately, they do not include optical, however, that is what a receiver is for :D

Price-wise, you are looking at $29.99. Hope that helps. You'll definately find one at your local Best Buy or Circuit City :)

DZNUTZ
05-22-2002, 04:12 PM
well i'm just got back from my local eb...i ended up picking up the following

MS first party av advance ( s-vid) = 19.99
interact s-vid cable for GC/64 = 10.99
interact s-vid cable for ps/ps2= 10.99

they didnt' have any selectors with s-vid at the moment (they were all sold out) anyways...but my guess is that in the future..i'll pick one up..try it...if i think theirs a downgrade in A/V quality because of the selector..i'll just return it for store credit.

max..if their any brand in general that u recomend...reply

l Maximus l
05-22-2002, 04:23 PM
max..if their any brand in general that u recomend...reply

Here's a good one! It's called "Recoton S-Video, Audio/Video Selector Switch"

It features: The Recoton S-video, audio/video selector switch allows you to connect up to four audio/video components to your TV or home theater system.

Here's a picture:
http://images.bestbuy.com/images/esku/front/11062042frA.jpg

And, here's a link where I got the info: Just click here! (http://www.bestbuy.com/Detail.asp?m=1&cat=784&scat=&e=11062042)

DZNUTZ
05-22-2002, 04:32 PM
thanx max!..btw...do u use one. and what your opinion?

Fluid_Static
05-22-2002, 05:00 PM
I have a system selector manufactured by Pelican Accessories...I bought at my local best buy for $19.99...It came with the AV cable to connect to the television that has R,W,Y and S-video...I actually have 2 of these...one in my living room with my xbox, digital cable box, ps2, and n64/SNES...I have not noticed any degradation in signal quality while using it...before I had my dig cable box hooked using coax cable and i did notice a big jump in picture quality when connected using s-video...my xbox has been connected using s-video from the day i bought it...in the other room i have a dvd player, xbox (moves from room to room), n64/snes (also moves from room to room) connected to it...It is only connected using the r,w,y cables as that tv does not support s-video...but otherwise it works great...it saves me from having to unplug things from behind the tv all the time...plus the pelican one has little name plates that go above each button for various devices (ie Gamecube, XBOX, Playstation 2, Playstation, Nintendo 64, Dreamcast, DVD, Other) I would recommend that one...

Hope this helps,
Ugo

mercsix
05-22-2002, 05:42 PM
The one maximus posted is the one I use I got it for 19.00 bucks at wal-mart I think it works great.