PDA

View Full Version : Halo vs. Tribes 2

Taranis
05-22-2002, 12:32 PM
Not sure how many of you played Tribes or Tribes 2 on the PC. I played it alot, especially the first Tribes. So, anyway, I was sitting here trying to compare the two games.

Certainly, I think that Halo is a much better game than either of the Tribes but if you take away some of the graphical enhancements Halo has, there may be a lineage of sorts there.

There seems to be some ideas in Halo that were in Tribes 1/2. I'm not saying they were stolen or anything like that. I think what might have happened is that the Bungie guys had similar ideas and looked at Tribes to figure out what was right and wrong about the way Dynamix did it.

I think that both Halo and Tribes stand out in the FPS genre as games that require more than just "twitch 'n' spin", but that require you to strategize, think, and pay attention to your surroundings.

Here are 3 things (off the top of my head) I find similar:
1) Cooperative vehicle play (only in T2)
2) Multiplayer squads that actually have to act like teams to be successful
3) A grand sense of your character being a part of something bigger. I always got the sense in Tribes that my battle was one small, but important piece of winning a huge universe-wide battle. That pervading feeling seems to be in Halo as well.

I should say that I don't own an Xbox or Halo, but that I have put quite a few hours into the game at a friend's house. To that end, some of these impressions may be just a n00b player gushing.

RadRider
05-22-2002, 12:33 PM
I think Tribes 2 is probably a lot better than Halo, not because Halo sucks, just because I don't like Halo all that much.
Unreal Championship looks a lot like Tribes 2, but I think it will be much better. Let's hope it is!

Magnum Blast
05-22-2002, 03:17 PM
I played T2 a hell of alot and T1 for about 6 months before T2 came out. I got more time out of T2 but that was obviously because of the multiplayer and the fact I was in a big tribe competing in at least 2 CTF games with other tribes every week. But at this point I will definatly say Halo is better then T2. In my mind T2 will live on as the best game before they screwed it up (Damn you Sierra, damn you Vivendi, long live Dynamix).

yall
05-22-2002, 03:24 PM
i have to go with halo on this one since tribes2 had no single player stuff (not counting the training stuff). tribes2 was fun for a while, but like with any other online game, cheaters and idiots ruin the fun.

Kooster
05-22-2002, 03:25 PM
I hated Tribes 2. I didn't even work on my computer. Halo is way better than it, but I don't know about Tribes 1. I really liked that game.

Taranis
05-22-2002, 03:32 PM
Originally posted by hotshot657
I hated Tribes 2. I didn't even work on my computer. Halo is way better than it, but I don't know about Tribes 1. I really liked that game. I feel ya...T2 blew solid Hardee's Star Burgers. If you've ever eaten at a Hardee's you know what kind of gastrointestinal explosions I'm talking about here.

T1, on the other hand, was the ONLY game I played for probably 9 months. Seriously, I don't think I bought a game or even installed a demo during that time. Even so, I think Halo is better.