PDA

View Full Version : Did you all hear? The console war is over....how arogant.

Highlite23
05-22-2002, 12:46 PM
Wow, your gonna flip.

http://zdnet.com.com/2100-1106-919372.html

Xtopia
05-22-2002, 12:50 PM
Originally posted by highlite23
Wow, your gonna flip.

http://zdnet.com.com/2100-1106-919372.html

It is called propaganda. They are card stacking!

Xbox Owner
05-22-2002, 12:51 PM
Haha, I just noticed something, that is something of gamespot. And everyone knows what kind of fan boys gamespot is..

Sony will see when Microsoft goes on a rampage, blowing everything out of the water, just like a tornado, it will take everything out in the way of its path!:mad:

RadRider
05-22-2002, 12:51 PM
Too be honest, I didn't read beyond the title and the first paragraph.
Sure, the PS2 has sold way more than any other console, and it might be that way forever. Sure, that technically puts the PS2 at the number one spot. But, everyone knows that the Xbox is the most powerful and innovative console out there. Maybe the Xbox will pick up in sales over the next 3 years - by which time the PS3 will come out, or maybe not. One thing is for sure though, after next year, all Xbox gamers everywhere will be able to say that they paid for a damn fine system with the best gaming possibilities anywhere. Let's hear a PS2 owner say that honestly.

Xbox Owner
05-22-2002, 12:52 PM
Originally posted by Xtopia

It is called propaganda. They are card stacking!

Mannn...I never get first post:( ...lol

Xtopia
05-22-2002, 12:53 PM
Originally posted by XBox Owner

Mannn...I never get first post:( ...lol

LoL! Sorry dude.

Plewis
05-22-2002, 12:56 PM
hmmmm... self proclaimed victor... they are stupid, they dont think people will buy xbox or gamecube because of the price drop. the price difference will probably work the other way since most gamers already own the PS2:rolleyes: Well, we will probably see things like this from MS soon. so we shouldnt get too mad... but Sony is a phony:D

dougi3000
05-22-2002, 01:14 PM
OMG
ultra XBOX/MS bashing in the comments int he article.

Knight
05-22-2002, 01:22 PM
Sony: Game wars are over--we win

By David Becker
Special to ZDNet News
May 21, 2002, 11:15 AM PT

LOS ANGELES--With most of the actual news, such as console price cuts and online strategies, having leaked out weeks ago, Sony kicked off the game industry's biggest trade show by trash-talking the competition.

Reader Resources
GameSpot's PlayStation 2 channel
PlayStation 2 latest prices
Sony takes PlayStation online

Kaz Hirai, president of Sony Computer Entertainment of America, used the company's press conference in advance of the Electronic Entertainment Expo to tout the huge sales lead of Sony's PlayStation 2 over Microsoft's Xbox and Nintendo's GameCube.

The PS2, which has been on the market a year longer than either competitor, has sold 30 million units worldwide, compared with about 4 million for each for its rivals. Sony expects to sell another 20 million during the current fiscal year.

"The console wars are over," Hirai said. "I liken the gap with our competition to the Grand Canyon."

Hirai said the $100 price cut Sony announced last week should boost the PS2's lead even further, with sales up 500 percent to 800 percent at major retailers since the cut went into effect.

Hirai said Sony intends to maintain its lead as gaming moves online. Sony will begin selling an Internet adapter for the PS2 this fall, accompanied by a handful of Internet-ready games. Unlike the closed, subscription-based Xbox network Microsoft announced Monday, Sony will rely on game publishers to supply online features, and will work with any Internet service.

"Even MSN users are welcome," Hirai quipped.

One of the early supporters of online PS2 gaming has been leading games publisher Electronic Arts, which has said it will produce an online PS2 version of its hit "Madden Football" franchise but will not support the Xbox.

Sony also previewed a slew of upcoming PS2 titles, including high-profile exclusives such as new versions of Eidos Interactive's "Tomb Raider" and Electronic Arts' "Medal of Honor" series. Hirai added that "Grand Theft Auto 3," the top-selling video game for the past few months, will remain exclusive to the PS2, with publisher Take-Two canceling previous plans to bring the game to the Xbox.

The next Mario: You?
Meanwhile, at its E3 press conference, Nintendo said that while it's made an entry into online gaming, its focus is more on plans to hook up the GameCube with GameBoy Advance, the company's market-leading portable game system.

GameCube owners can already hook up a GameBoy Advance to act as an extra controller, but upcoming titles such as "Animal Crossing" and a new version of "Donkey Kong" will allow players to swap content between the two devices. Nintendo believes this "connectivity" approach, where games can follow players wherever they are, holds more immediate promise than Internet play, said Satoru Iowata, director of corporate planning for Nintendo.

"For now, online is within the reach of only a few gamers," Iowata said. "Connectivity is within reach of everyone."

Nintendo showed demonstrations of upcoming GameCube titles featuring franchise characters such as Mario and Zelda and announced several new GameBoy Advance accessories. The e-Reader will read data from a new series of collectible trading cards Nintendo will introduce, capitalizing on a phenomenon the company started with Pokemon. The e-Reader will be available in mid-September for $40. The Game Eye is a camera add-on that will allow players to create characters that look like them. Pricing and availability were not announced for it.

Pure Sony BS!!

Knight
05-22-2002, 01:26 PM
As far as GTA3 being exclusive to the PS2 it's not because there's a PC version out!!

Ninja Scroll
05-22-2002, 01:38 PM
Tha S.O.B, running his mouth about a sorry ass console that had a whole d@mn year head start over Xbox & GC. How bold and special he must feel.:rolleyes:
So PoS2 will have GTA series as an exclusive, yeah okay, well Xbox has much more exclusives that will give Sony a rude awakening.
Brute Force, UT Championship, Halo series, Hunter: The Reckoning, Shenmue's series, ect. ect.

All Sony has is hype. If MS would just spend some f'n money for TV ads everything will be okay!;)

Knight
05-22-2002, 01:41 PM
Originally posted by Ninja Scroll
Tha S.O.B, running his mouth about a sorry ass console that had a whole d@mn year head start over Xbox & GC. How bold and special he must feel.:rolleyes:
So PoS2 will have GTA series as an exclusive, yeah okay, well Xbox has much more exclusives that will give Sony a rude awakening.
Brute Force, UT Championship, Halo series, Hunter: The Reckoning, Shenmue's series, ect. ect.

All Sony has is hype. If MS would just spend some f'n money for TV ads everything will be okay!;)

No you can buy GTA3 for the pc & it looks alot better too!!

faceoff508
05-22-2002, 01:42 PM
Sony is like Rome, it was all mighty! But then it fell. So Sony thinks its powerful, but just wait and see what really happens?

Dre
05-22-2002, 01:44 PM
There's nothing new with company rep's talking smack about their competitors. This was too be expected. I remember a troll posting a thread a while back here that was about MS talking smack. Its all good IMO because it forces companies to constantly one-up the other and in the end, that benefits us gamers the most.

Nerrad529
05-22-2002, 02:09 PM
Sony wins yeah right. Maybe they did sell 30 million units compared to 4 million units. They also had a lot more time to do it. Playstation 2 was released in Japan in 1999. Xbox is gonna be on tear once we go online.

CoMATOSE
05-22-2002, 02:16 PM
so wot...... even if in the end sony sells the most, to me the winner will be the one to produce the best games *cough*xbox*cough*:D

l Maximus l
05-22-2002, 02:50 PM
Uh oh...the console war is over since Sony said so.....oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo k :rolleyes:

kornavs19
05-22-2002, 03:13 PM
many people bought PS2 when it first came out...It was a big Christmas hype.... They spent that money and now they cant get an X-Box cause they already have an expensve system.... Most people probabably bought it and then was ****ed.....
We should stomp all over Sony and its fans when PS3 comes out.. The day it comes out we'd b like... Man xbox is so much better look how many sales we have!!!!! were number 1....:)

Master Gracey
05-22-2002, 07:05 PM
Okay... in all the hubub, did anyone notice something else in that article?

"Sony also previewed a slew of upcoming PS2 titles, including high-profile exclusives such as new versions of Eidos Interactive's "Tomb Raider" and Electronic Arts' "Medal of Honor" series."

Does this mean EA and Dreamworks have put away any thought of MOH on Xbox? I know EA already gave up on Xbox and declared Sony the winner (last week's press release) but has Dreamworks followed suit? I don't mean to veer off the topic of this thread, but this news sucks just as much as the GTA3 news... has anyone heard any more info on this???

X-Ray
05-22-2002, 07:22 PM
Sony obviously didn't see Microsoft's press conference. The fact that Sony is making news with its controversial comments and not stellar games highlights the fact that X-Box is and will continue to catch up with sony. Its E3 and Sony's making news by bragging about market share! Do you think the people over at Sony are trying to make up for something?:rolleyes: :p :D ;) :D :p :rolleyes:

Xbox Owner
05-22-2002, 07:26 PM
Just wait til' X-Box pulls out the big guns..it will be kickin ass and takin names:cool:

GRAVEDIGGER
05-22-2002, 08:13 PM
LoL...Poop poor simple Sony, still in need of comfort that they lead(with over a year head-start) but its all good though. What i really wanna know is what are they gonna say when XBOX Live is up and running..ha...simpletons. Them and their narrowband connection, lol...this should be interesting.

So Sony, "Whatcha gonna do?, Whatcha gonna do, when XBOX Live runs wild on!......you!!?!?!"

Untill next time...:mad:

OEM Alien
05-22-2002, 09:15 PM
Originally posted by GRAVEDIGGER
LoL...Poop poor simple Sony, still in need of comfort that they lead(with over a year head-start) but its all good though. What i really wanna know is what are they gonna say when XBOX Live is up and running..ha...simpletons. Them and their narrowband connection, lol...this should be interesting.

So Sony, "Whatcha gonna do?, Whatcha gonna do, when XBOX Live runs wild on!......you!!?!?!"

Untill next time...:mad: MS could help themselves ALOT by ADVERTISING ON TV! i mean i'm finally starting to see xbox advertisments, but where have they been all along?! like the commercial for spiderman it shows spiderman being played and it has the xbox logo while the in game footage is being shown, THEY NEED TO EMPHASIZE THIS MORE IN MULTI PLATFORM GAMES LIKE SPIDERMAN, THEY NEED TO SHOW VERY CLEARLY THAT WHAT THE PEOPLE ARE SEEING ON TV IS XBOX FOOTAGE! that way when the people buy the game for ps2 and wonder why it sucks, they'll think back and be like "damn! that was xbox footage, it must be better, i want one of those instead!" then they'll get the REAL picture and xbox sales will increase. if MS/xbox doesn't show this clearly in commercials for multiplatform games then it will only aid in selling more ps2's, or g.c's with the same game. :D

X-Ray
05-22-2002, 10:34 PM
When you think about it, Sony really does think the console war is over. They really haven't been fighting: how much longer is it going to be until they get on-line? Way too long for a console that's dealing with serious competition! Perhaps their not taking competition seriously--their arrogance--will ultimately dethrone them. I predict it will.

JohnB
05-22-2002, 10:50 PM
Originally posted by X-Ray
When you think about it, Sony really does think the console war is over. They really haven't been fighting: how much longer is it going to be until they get on-line? Way too long for a console that's dealing with serious competition! Perhaps their not taking competition seriously--their arrogance--will ultimately dethrone them. I predict it will.

Your predictions are exactly mine. If Sony continues to spit out words the way they did at E3, they will fall just like Rome did.

RadRider
05-22-2002, 11:00 PM
They may fall, but not this generation. Face it, if Sony packaged monkey poo and called it Metal Gear Solid, it'd still sell a million copies. Plus, any console with an installed base of over 20 million users can't be called a loser.
Maybe Sony will fall next time, but for now they're definitely here to stay.
Just be happy knowing the Xbox is the technically superior console, and at the very least, we'll get ports of PS2 games that are identical to what they were on the PS2 - at best, they will be far better than a PS2 owner could imagine. Plus, there's the whole Xbox Live thing that's so obvious I won't comment on it anymore.

butmarx
05-22-2002, 11:26 PM
the history teaches and says one simple thing;when microsoft enters a new market all the hints are against and the rivals seem too powerful-remember the netscape and the browser war or the ibm and the OS war to mention a few examples -but suddenly the tide turns and the competitors lose the game
SONY has a major disadvantage;it has the most outdated console and no plans for a new one till 2005
this is the reason why they hit below the belt cutting games like GTA3 from Xbox or being so arrogant
but no matter what they do the era of xbox has started-15 millions xbox will ship this year and other 30 millions the next
furthermore the online experience alongside some secure killer ups will blow the sony for sure dusting all these statements that they do:cool: :cool:

Marc
05-22-2002, 11:37 PM
RadRider is right. Most of the collective gaming media have their noses deep in Sony's ass. They are fraught with bias. If Kabuki Warriors had been released for PS2, it would've scored a 5 and that game was the worst in the history of console gaming. Some developers...cough...cough..EA...cough have their noses farther up Sony's ass than the media. It will take a lot of time...and maybe some surgery...to rectify that situation.

Bakero
05-23-2002, 12:28 AM
:) :D :D :)

Aw man I love trash talking, it’s part of the reason why I read about the industry. Hey didn’t Bill Gates say a while ago the Nintendo is dead (now that’s what I call arrogant, not only that he’s saying the X-Box will sell better it will kill Nintendo (lolz))? You guys should just chill out and laugh with me cause trash talking is the 5hit. Makes the industry more exciting and interesting. Lolz. And the way some of you guys talk, you will think that PlayStaion2’s head start is the only thing keeping it alive. Why can’t you recognize the fact that it has a hell of a lot of great games, and many more promising games coming out for the next few months. Anyway I’m willing to bet a truckload of nacho chips and taco’s that PlayStation2 will stay the industry leader for this video game generation.

:D :eek: :eek: :D

RadRider
05-23-2002, 12:54 AM
That's what I said, well, except the good games part. I suppose some people think it has good exclusive games, and it does have Gran Turismo. But, besides that, Xbox will (doesn't currently) have the best titles, bar none.

Dilr0y
05-23-2002, 01:24 AM
This topic said it all. Sony's full of a bunch of arrogant *******s. And there's nothing more too it. Oh, and they're also concieted, but, yeah. :P

Icey_Princess
05-23-2002, 08:42 AM
Originally posted by highlite23
Wow, your gonna flip.

http://zdnet.com.com/2100-1106-919372.html I hate sony! :( :( :(

Alien
05-23-2002, 08:47 AM
Originally posted by Icey_Princess
I hate sony! :( :( :(

They make nice TV's and stuff though...

X-Ray
05-23-2002, 01:28 PM