PDA

View Full Version : HAHAHA.......even sony laughs at sony!!!

CoMATOSE
05-22-2002, 02:56 PM
now we're all peed at the "console war is over" statement, but i'm sure this article from sonyweb.com will make u feel much better!!!!

CEO of Sony Entertainment of America Ken Kutaragi turned a few heads and raised a few eyebrows earlier today at the Sony Playstation 2 press conference when he remarked that the "War is over," and that he made the comparison of the gap being more like "the grand canyon rather then Silicon Valley." But with all of the bravado and chest beating performed by Sony today, did it forget the reason why their there. Unlike Nintendo's and Microsoft press conferences where the games spoke for themselves and were the stars of both events, Sony's conference had a somewhat disappointing and minimal approach to what games were shown and Sony decided to quote how much market share it currently possesses.

Sony's numbers point a interesting picture but more interesting is the lack of some information that clarifies exactly where Sony currently is. No doubt, Sony is the leader when it comes to sales. By the looks and sounds of Sony's rhetoric you would think that the Playstations 2 lead is insurmountable. For example, Sony quotes a worldwide Playstation 2 shipments as 30.2 million as of May 5th 2002. But, on the same token how many of those people who bought a Playstation 2 bought it for the sole purpose of being utilized as a cheap DVD player? Sony also reported that worldwide, there are 1014 software titles as of March 31 2002. Again, Sony failed to mention the number of those 1014 titles were actually on the best seller list nor the fact that of those 1014 how many of those released in multiple markets. The Playstation One, has sold as of March 31st 2002, 89.63 million consoles as well as having a total of 6587 individual software titles also as of March 31st 2002. But by only looking at all of the numbers and information, and the fact that there really was only one title that Sony showed at its press conference that would actually sell consoles. That game being the 3D action game The Getaway.

A huge blunder on Sonys part was the mentioning of the Soul Caliber franchise being exclusive to Sony. This got quite a chuckle from the folks at Nintendo when a reporter inquired about it at the question and answer portion of Nintendo's press conference. "That's news to us," smiled the Nintendo spokesperson.

In comparison Nintendo gave some interesting numbers as well. Since the days of the original Nintendo Entertainment System till its current system Gamecube and Gameboy Advance, Nintendo has sold 265 million consoles world wide as well as 1.6 billion games sold. That's very impressive and should serve as a testament of the legacy that Nintendo has build over the past 18 years.

Despite, what claims Sony has made about the war being over, it is obvious that at this point in the race that it is indeed far from over. There are still several more battles to be won or lost before we have a clear view of the true victors.

doesn't that just make u feel warm and tingly inside??:rolleyes:

Dre
05-22-2002, 03:00 PM
good read. thanks for the find.

It will be very interesting to see what happens throughout the course of this "console war". I for one think its great there is such fierce competition.. without it, we wouldn't see the industry moving forward at such a fast pace. [/edit]

faceoff508
05-22-2002, 03:01 PM
hehhee..... too proud.. too proud

JohnB
05-22-2002, 03:05 PM
Very good and entertaining article. I think Sony smoked some weed before going to E3.

CoMATOSE
05-22-2002, 03:10 PM
Originally posted by JohnB
Very good and entertaining article. I think Sony smoked some weed before going to E3.

well if u'd just realised u had no good games coming out, ur console was obsolete and that ur rivals were kicking ur arse then ud be at the weed too!!!............thats if ur not already at it:eek:

spliffdUP
05-22-2002, 03:57 PM
Any game PS2 shows no matter how much it pushes the power of the system, doesnt even compare to Xboxs upcoming titles(Brute Force, Project Ego, Etc..) Thats why they have to rely on other things like sales figures and paying Rockstar to keep GTA3. I remember a few months ago when there was talk of Microsoft buying out Rockstar, all the PS2 fanboys were crying foul and talkin bout how unfair microsoft is and then Sony goes and pays Rockstar probably a huge amount of money to keep GTA3 exclusive. Its too bad that the GTA series will never evolve past PS2 for at least 3 more years, the Xbox versions would have been sooo much better.

Xbox Owner
05-22-2002, 04:01 PM
haha, that article was great.:)

l Maximus l
05-22-2002, 04:02 PM
hehe...great article...and, if you ask me, the original statements from the first press conference were so boastful, it seems to me that Sony was in an insecure state of mind. Time for XBox to roll ahead!! :D