PDA

View Full Version : Getting ready for XBox Live, and I need some help!

Xbox Owner
05-22-2002, 04:28 PM
Ok, I am getting broadband or cable soon, and I just read on Xbox.com that I need a Ethernet cable. Does any one know how much this will cost?:eek:

Xtopia
05-22-2002, 04:32 PM
It depends on how long you need it to be.

You wont have to spend more than 8 dollars as long as you don't need a 300 ft. cable or something. You can find, if you look hard enough, 75 ft of cable for $8.

BTW~an ethernet cable is the same thing as a Cat-5 cable

Dre
05-22-2002, 04:32 PM
couple of bucks. Its very cheap

Xtopia
05-22-2002, 04:33 PM
It comes down to this, where is your TV in relation to where you cable will be installed?

DZNUTZ
05-22-2002, 04:34 PM
whats the best product available for optimal performance?
where can i get it?

Xtopia
05-22-2002, 04:38 PM
Pretty much all Cat-5's are made equal, IMO. The only thing you have to worry about is durability. Not performance. You see, in order for a cable to be classified as a "Cat-5" it has to live up to a certain standard. So I would not worry about it.

l Maximus l
05-22-2002, 04:38 PM
An "Ethernet cable" is simply a standard CAT-5 patch cable, not a crossover. Though, a CAT-5 Crossover could also plug into the ethernet port on your computer, however, XBox.com is simply referring to a CAT-5 Patch cable.

They're cheap and can vary in price depending on how long you need for it to be :) I've seen them as cheap ast $3 - $20 or so

FloBuzz
05-22-2002, 04:40 PM
They are priced between $6 and $20.

Like it was posted earlier, its all about length. Do you know how long you need to cable to be? I got mine for $12, its like 75 feet I think. But it shouldn't cost that much.

Xtopia
05-22-2002, 04:41 PM
Welcome to XBA, FloBuzz! Do you play your XBox online? What program do you use?

DZNUTZ
05-22-2002, 04:43 PM
y in earth would someone need that long of a cable.!?!?:eek:

i don't get it...is it a cat-5 that connects from my wall mount to my xbox?

Xtopia
05-22-2002, 04:45 PM
Originally posted by DZNUTZ
y in earth would someone need that long of a cable.!?!?:eek:

i don't get it...is it a cat-5 that connects from my wall mount to my xbox?

My Cat-5 is 75 ft. also. You see, my PC is upstairs and my TV is downstairs so...;)

DZNUTZ
05-22-2002, 04:50 PM
k..i can understand that...but your not gonna need your pc to go on xboxlive right?...all we need to do is sign up..get the VC,disc,plus service, and plug a cat-5 into or wall socket that supports dsl or cable correct?

sorry but i'm new to theis dsl/cable crud....sign up for a years worth of service just so i could frag all my fellow xba's as soon as xboxlive hits:eek:

Xtopia
05-22-2002, 04:54 PM
Originally posted by DZNUTZ
k..i can understand that...but your not gonna need your pc to go on xboxlive right?...all we need to do is sign up..get the VC,disc,plus service, and plug a cat-5 into or wall socket that supports dsl or cable correct?

sorry but i'm new to theis dsl/cable crud....sign up for a years worth of service just so i could frag all my fellow xba's as soon as xboxlive hits:eek:

Well, my cable modem is upstairs w/my PC's so...;)

FloBuzz
05-22-2002, 04:57 PM
I got the cable 75 feet just incase ya know, so If I have to move my TV or Computer, I have reassurance.

My only problem is I can't actually play a game online. I have the XBConnect program, I have to wires, and I have my Halo game at the "Waiting for Game" screen. It even says "XBox Found" on the options screen. But when I join a game, I've waited forever. Nothing happened, can anyone help?

Xtopia
05-22-2002, 05:05 PM
Originally posted by FloBuzz
I got the cable 75 feet just incase ya know, so If I have to move my TV or Computer, I have reassurance.

My only problem is I can't actually play a game online. I have the XBConnect program, I have to wires, and I have my Halo game at the "Waiting for Game" screen. It even says "XBox Found" on the options screen. But when I join a game, I've waited forever. Nothing happened, can anyone help?

We have a forum just for questions like these. It is constantly viewed by a guy that works on XBConnect. Ask your question there, youll get it to work.

Shorezy
05-22-2002, 05:30 PM
Originally posted by Xtopia
It comes down to this, where is your TV in relation to where you cable will be installed?

This is the truth. I just recentaly got hooked up to XBOX online (not live but i can't WAIT!), and all i needed was a few CAT-5 cables and i was in. A t.v. is only a few feet from my comp so all i needed like a three foot cord. THere pretty cheap, just pic some up.

Xbox Owner
05-22-2002, 06:05 PM
Originally posted by Xtopia

It's about 10 feet away.

LynxFX
05-22-2002, 06:10 PM
I just upgraded my home network from a pokey old hub to a nice fast Router and Switch. Everything is hooked up and ready to roll.

*crosses fingers* Please let me beta test *crosses fingers*