PDA

View Full Version : Separate fee for each game? WTF

Kortiz
05-22-2002, 04:56 PM
is it true that we will have to pay a seperate fee for each game that we play on Xbox Live?

if that that is WHACK FOO!

tamim
05-22-2002, 04:58 PM
No man, Not like Sony or Nintendo

In XB LIVE, u can play any games that supports it without paying extra fee

But in Sony's Network and Nintendo's, U gotta pay seperatly.

CoMATOSE
05-22-2002, 04:59 PM
$50 for the first year then $9-10 monthly well a least for the USA, here in the Uk no details have been released but u can expect near enough the same

Kortiz
05-22-2002, 05:01 PM
wheew....i must have read it wrong in that arogant thread....was about to say, DAAAAAMN GINA!

DZNUTZ
05-22-2002, 05:01 PM
developers reserve the right to charge extra for their particular game....i'm guessing this won't be common at all...and when their is a charge for certain games..it will most likey apply to massive onlin rpgs (considering that people will play them for 8 hours at a time or more)

CoMATOSE
05-22-2002, 05:04 PM
Originally posted by DZNUTZ
developers reserve the right to charge extra for their particular game....i'm guessing this won't be common at all...and when their is a charge for certain games..it will most likey apply to massive onlin rpgs (considering that people will play them for 8 hours at a time or more)

any developer to do that is tight.........that'll be EA then:rolleyes:

LynxFX
05-22-2002, 05:13 PM
Originally posted by DZNUTZ

Actually I don't think that is true at all, at least not for the Xbox. Microsoft's whole big speil on this has been that you pay one fee and play ALL of the games. All of the games that do support Xbox live are required to support the communicator and all of the matchmaking services as well or they can not carry the Xbox Live logo nor be allowed on the network.

Kooster
05-22-2002, 05:17 PM
I like the first year deal, but i dont wanna pay $120 for each other year! Its such a big difference!

tamim
05-22-2002, 05:21 PM
Xbox Communicator + 12 Months of subscription of XboxLive (no extra charges) + a FREE game (Re-Volt) = us$49.95

I dont know about the upgrade (next 12 months)

Edit: Hotshot, I WILL NOT be $120!!!! May be like 25 Dollers per additional year. I really have no idea but seeing the first year deal, i guessed it

DZNUTZ
05-22-2002, 05:28 PM
hey lynfx...i'm almost positive that developers are allowed to charge extra at their discretion...as i said...i think this will be extremely uncommon cuz it will hinder sales performance.

also i'm willing to bet that xboxlive will be MORE , deffintaley not less, and probably not the same..for its second year compared to first.

kornavs19
05-22-2002, 05:34 PM
i didnt know that we had to pay....:)

mercsix
05-22-2002, 05:38 PM
Developers are not allowed to charge anything to play that was the point of the whole xboxlive concept one network one fee I have read everything I could find about the concept and didn't see anything to the contrary. but hey I've been wrong before.

LynxFX
05-22-2002, 06:02 PM
Yeah I'm 99.9% positive that developers can not charge to play on Xbox Live. Maybe they can up the price of the their games but no recurring fee. Like mercsix was saying, that isn't the point of Xbox Live. Heck they have no right to charge anyway since it is Microsoft that is supplying the networks and billing, user ID's and every single part of the Xbox Live experience except the games. (minus their inhouse games of course).

Just watch the E3 video that was posted yesterday. The 55 minute one. They lay it out nice and clear there. Tomorrow I believe is dedicated to Xbox Live so we should definately hear if this is true or not but I honestly don't believe it is.

Snoopy7548
05-22-2002, 06:04 PM
the good thing about xbox live, is that theres only ONE server, and its microsoft, and u can bet is gonna be REALLY fast. its not like the ps2 or gc's online plan, where each company has their own server (i think), so some might be fast, and some might be slow. but with xbox, its always fast:D :cool:

l Maximus l
05-22-2002, 06:29 PM
I think that is an amazing deal!! $50 for the XBox Communicator and for 12 months of XBox Live subscription? That will make even the most skeptical PC gamers that are normally used to playing for free all nice and giddy inside! To me, the XBox Communicator alone justifies $50, let alone a 12 month subscription included!!

Man, this is going to be the most impressive network in the world! It's going to cost Microsoft over $1 BILLION to create this thing and, arguably, Microsoft will be as large as the 3rd largest Telecom company in the world! That is just crazy!! All for their vision for XBox...this is going to be HUGE!!!!! :D

Snoopy7548
05-22-2002, 06:33 PM
looks like microsoft is really determined to see the xbox succeed. they want the xbox to do good, and they will stop at nothing to do just that. they have sooo much money:D

tamim
05-22-2002, 06:41 PM
err....Maximus, U forgot the free game Re-volt

l Maximus l
05-22-2002, 06:44 PM
Originally posted by tamim
err....Maximus, U forgot the free game Re-volt

Dude...you know, I actually heard about that...but, I never heard that from a source from Microsoft. That would be bad ass...where did you get your info? Just curious :)

Snoopy7548
05-22-2002, 06:45 PM
xbox.ign.com:D

OEM Alien
05-22-2002, 09:39 PM
Originally posted by hotshot657
I like the first year deal, but i dont wanna pay $120 for each other year! Its such a big difference! damn right! 50.00 ayear is coo, but 120.00 a year is A FOCKIN RIPOFF!:eek:

Kortiz
05-23-2002, 02:31 PM
as long as i dont have to pay 10 bucks a month for each game i wanna play on xbox live, then i will be happy, 10 bucks a month for 12 months isnt a big deal if you ask me. i mean most games out there like EQ and DAOC and Anarchy Online and all them other MMORPGs they are like 12bucks a month now, i pay 12 for EQ, so 10 bucks for like 10 games that i wanna play online is nothing. i would consider that good for a monthly fee. of course it doesnt compare to playing online now on your Computer for free. my only prob will be getting cable. after that i will be set.

but man, i was worried i would have to pay 10 bucks a month for each game i wanna play online, that would have BEEN WHACK FOO!!!

LynxFX
05-23-2002, 03:39 PM
Originally posted by Maximus

Dude...you know, I actually heard about that...but, I never heard that from a source from Microsoft. That would be bad ass...where did you get your info? Just curious :)

Max I posted that info a couple days ago and it was straight from Xbox.com. Can't get closer to the source than that. It is in the sticky thread at the top. "Official Xbox Live Discussion"

Dre
05-23-2002, 03:51 PM
Originally posted by Maximus
Man, this is going to be the most impressive network in the world! It's going to cost Microsoft over $1 BILLION to create this thing and, arguably, Microsoft will be as large as the 3rd largest Telecom company in the world! That is just crazy!! All for their vision for XBox...this is going to be HUGE!!!!! :D

Didn't MS say the network is in place already?

melon
05-24-2002, 04:35 AM
i'm gonna have to get broadband..so many awesome online games coming out

UltraMuffin
05-24-2002, 07:37 AM
I was prepared to pay around $150 a year if I could find a few online games that I knew I would play the heazy out of all year long... I was a bit skeptical that I would be able to find a few games that would really interest me, since I'm pretty much burnt out on online PC gaming already. Now, for $50 for the headset and a year of Xbox Live... that's a no brainer, that's cheap enough to let me just try it out... But, after reading about MS's plans for this whole thing, I know I'm going to be a slave to this Xbox Live stuff...

Online PC gaming is basically FPS, strategy, and RPG games... that's about it. Sports games aren't really that popular on PCs (to the best of my knowledge)... and IMO they just don't feel right using a keyboard or mouse... and sitting a foot away from the screen. Xbox Live is going to introduce online play to all types of games... the tried and true FPSs and RPGs, and lots of sports games, with competitions and stats and all that good stuff that makes you wanna play til you become a god. I'm not really a fan of sports games, but the idea of playing golf or racing online (is racing a sport? hehe) sounds real appealing to me... I get the impression that MS wants to online-ify every genre of game they possibly can and make online play a lasting and rewarding experience... that's what I'm so excited about.

Oh and about the seperate prices for different games thing... the reason MMORPGs like Everquest have a monthly fee is because they have to provide massive servers to play on and pay lots of people to maintain it... An MMORPG for Xbox would be using MS's servers, but MMORPG servers aren't like the servers a game like Unreal would use, they have to be HUGE to allow thousands of people to connect to them simultaneously... and the maintenance would probably be significantly more work for a living, breathing world of that magnitude... So I wouldn't be suprised if MS figured out some way to make players of MMORPGs pay more money... I hope they don't though.

This post is longer than I intended it to be, and for that I apologize... I even half proof-read it! I sound so full of myself :D

TEA
05-24-2002, 12:29 PM
Will someone either give me a link or send it to me.

Contacts:AIM:EvrlstngAssa
Y! Messenger:mac_blockbusta
Email:mac_blockbusta@yahoo.com

(P.S. Does anybody know where I can find a Email that I can check using Outlook Express.(I think for Y! it was called Pop mail or something like but they're charging now to use it:mad: )