PDA

View Full Version : Morrowind Question

AppoX
05-22-2002, 08:02 PM
I am very interested in this game and hope it comes in as they promised by the end of this month. I am curious though about a couple things concerning weapons. About how many different weapons are in the game? And can every item be bought or do some have to be aquired by killing someone? Also, I have not seen on any sight pics of the short bow, long bow, crossbow, throwing knives, throwing stars, etc. where can i get these?
thx,
Steve

RadRider
05-22-2002, 08:37 PM
Well, nobody promised it for this month. Bethesda did slate May as a release, but any other date is just software retailer's own propaghanda. I do hope it comes out this month, just don't count on it.

Anyway, on to the questions. I'm not sure exactly how many weapons there are, but there are lots. At the risk of spoiling it for you, there are these types: chitin, steel, iron, nordic, silver, dwarven, glass, ebony and daedric (that I know of). Each of thes types has some of the following: short blade, long blade, halberd, one handed axe, two handed axe, spear, claymore, bow (don't know about shortbow and longbow). Not all types have all the different weapons, but generally the different types have at least 3 of each weapon type. Oh, you can use a crossbow too, my brother was using one the other day..

Most items can be bought, but I'm not sure if all can be bought. Depending on which places you frequent, you may never find many of the items I listed above, so make sure you travel a lot if you want to buy! You generally find the best stuff after killing an enemy, because these items can be enchanted. You can also enchant your own weapons if you so desire.

I don't know where you can find pictures of those things, I'd take some, but I don't have any on my character. If I find some for cheap, I'll try to take some screens oaky? (intended misspelling)

preetz16
05-22-2002, 08:52 PM
Originally posted by RadRider
Well, nobody promised it for this month.

Wrong, Bethesda has said over and over again that it is on track for a May release. They Have also basically promised that it will be out in May. Unfortunately, for some odd reason, M$ does not allow devs to say anything to the public regaurding how the QA process is going. It probably should be out soon though because there has been an announcement that it is in its "final stages of processing".

To awnser your question: The weapons sort of resemble that of Diablo II. There many be a limited number of weapon models, but there are unbelieveable amounts of added on traits, i.e. A simple Long Sword is one weapon, but Long Sword of Flame is a different weapon. Looks like the basic long sword, but does extra stuff! Thiis is how they add varirty to weapons, they have the base names and then adjectives, adverbs, and prepositions that they add to the beginning and end. Or at least I think this is how they do it.

RadRider
05-22-2002, 10:18 PM
wrong. Bethesda said May. They never "promised" may. A publisher never "promises" a release date, they merely announce a tentative title. No matter what, a release date is always tentative. And if it's a date not released by the publisher, then it's just bull.

Dre
05-23-2002, 08:07 AM
One way or the other.. its taking too damn long :D

AppoX
05-23-2002, 10:49 AM
Thanks for the answers people. I appriciate it alot. But I have another question for you if you don't mind answering it. I would like to give my theif 1 magika skill, but I am not sure which one to pick. Should i give him Alchamy, or Enchant? Why should i pick one over the other? Thanks alot,
Steve

RadRider
05-23-2002, 11:29 AM
Well, I don't know if I'd even consider alchemy a magicka skill.
But here's the thing, you can find enchanters and alchemists in many towns throughout Vvardenfell. It obviously costs money, but I don't know how much because I haven't done it yet.

It really depends on what you want to do with your character. Do you want to make potions for yourself all the time or do you want to enchant weapons to give them more power? Since your going to be a thief, I'm assuming you won't have much in the way of weapons. In that case, I'd suggest being an alchemist since you can make all sorts of cool potions like: water walking, water breathing, healing, restore fatigue, etc.

Mind you, if you want the best effects, you'll just be buying scrolls anyway, since scrolls can do things like: raise the dead to aid you, cast invisibility, mute a person, etc. But the downside to that is scrolls only last for one use. So with scroll spells you like, it might pay to actually learn the spell and increase your skill in the school of magicka that the spell resides with.

Sorry I kind of trailed off for that last paragraph. :)

RadRider
05-23-2002, 12:37 PM
Now that I think about it, you can enchant more than just weapons, so enchantment would probably be the way to go. You can enchant items (like shirts, pants, armor) so they have the properties of those scrolls I listed, so enchantment would probably be the most useful.

AppoX
05-23-2002, 02:55 PM
lol im so ****ed, imma go play daggerfall now, first time ever playin a elder scrolls game lol =/

RadRider
05-23-2002, 03:24 PM
Good luck. Daggerfall is like designing a brand new game from scratch, and writing all the code down as it comes to your mind, and having the code written work perfectly fine the first try.

Basically, it's hell to start with. But, on the plus side, if you can play Daggerfall for a bit and learn some of the Elder Scrolls conventions, then Morrowind will be very easy to understand. I think the human interface in Morrowind is far better than in Daggerfall. It's easier to understand the game mechanics and all. But on the other hand, Daggerfall is a bigger, more comprehensive game. You've got to take both sides of the beenie baby I guess.

AppoX
05-23-2002, 03:29 PM
that turned out ****ty lol. its fu(ked, i downloaded it off kazaa + it not workin =/ *****!
o well i just wait for mw

RadRider
05-23-2002, 03:31 PM
I've got Daggerfall. I need to copy it over from the computer upstairs, but it's all there.
Did you make sure to have it in C:/Dagger? And make sure that it's not C:/Dagger/Dagger either. If it's not exactly C:/Dagger, then the game won't run. It'll give you wierd errors that mention "0" in them or something.