PDA

View Full Version : My Take of XBox Live at E3!!!

stingu
05-22-2002, 10:38 PM
I fortunately had the opportunity to attend E3 today (only one day because of my work and it cost me $250 for exhibits only -- but it was worth it). I live close -- Las Vegas. Anyway, I wish I could have stayed for another day, but I'm exhausted anyway.

Some preliminaries -- XBox' booth appeared to be slightly smaller than Playstation. Nintendo had the biggest. ALSO -- there were just as many people standing in line and playing Xbox games as there were Sony players!!!

Let me start off with XBOX LIVE -- which I had been dying to play. XBox had two games running with the voice communicator -- Unreal Championship and NFL Fever. These games were enclosed so you could hear (???) (that place is NOISEY). Unreal ran great -- although I got my A$$ kicked. The voice was pretty clear but I did have a hard time hearing -- because of outside noise to most extent. I didn't know how to turn up the volume. In any event, some of the voices were changed to a deep, robotic mean voice -- extremely cool!!!

I didn't get to play NFL Fever because of the line. However, when the two people were playing the game monitor was also outside above their respective booths and it ran damn smooth!!!

XBOX LIVE IS GONNA ROCK .... they also had two Beta Tester sign up computers there.

Some games: well, there were a ton, and Brute Force looked pretty darn good. Let me tell you -- Mech Assault is gonna rock. It will be online, but it was not running online today.

If you are into Sports....the Sega games (football and basketball) looked great. I hope if you are an EA fan you don't get upset, by NFL Fever and Sega Football 2k3 looked better to me and ran better.

Now, Sony had Madden online as well as Socom: US Navy Seals. I played Socom (they didn't make an enclosed booth so there was no voice chat). They had tournaments running where the people at E3 (4 to a team) would team up with 2 people on the internet at an outside undisclosed location. In other words, the terrorist team, made up of 4 people, had 2 at E3 and 2 presumably in their homes. The same with the other team. To me the game ran pretty smooth but Xbox seemed to run a bit smoother. In fact, I noticed no lag at all with Xbox Live.

I didn't get to play Madden but watched others play it.

Medal of Honor Frontline looked very good on PS2 -- in my opinion.

As to GameCube, I peaked in and most games looked kiddish to me so I didn't even bother to stay.

As for a couple of computer games, well, Age of Mythology is awesome. There's another RTS game by Microsoft coming out in early 2003 called Impossible Creatures. Finally, another RTS is Rise of Nations -- which is probably better than Empire Earth.

Hope you enjoyed this...but let me make one thing clear: when it comes to online, XBox knows what it's doing and it is going to rock much better than Sony online.

X-Ray
05-22-2002, 10:45 PM
Thanks for the update. I'm excited for X-Box Live! Tell us more about unreal championship what changes were there from unreal tournament?

P.S. you might wanna post this in the E3 forum. I don't care but some people do. I say you've done a service by telling us this!

DIGITAL
05-22-2002, 10:45 PM
very good info stingu ,i cant wait for xbox live,your one lucky dude to be able to goto e3:cool:

stingu
05-22-2002, 11:15 PM
I posted this in both forums just in case. In any event, I had only 6 minutes to play unreal...The graphics seemed better. Controls the same as Halo really...!!! It was a blast....I hope you signed up for Beta Tester and get selected...and I hope I get selected too!!!!

OEM Alien
05-23-2002, 01:50 AM
Originally posted by stingu
I posted this in both forums just in case. In any event, I had only 6 minutes to play unreal...The graphics seemed better. Controls the same as Halo really...!!! It was a blast....I hope you signed up for Beta Tester and get selected...and I hope I get selected too!!!! "Controls the same as Halo really." YES! THERE IS A GOD!!!!! i hope ALL the fps games are setup like halo's control system.

MOrgE
05-23-2002, 07:46 AM
YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!

i hope all fps are controlled the way Halo is.
Easier on the user and less headache as well.
Can you imagine learning the different controls for each game?
Halo.. Brute Force.. Unreal.. ughhhh!!
:)

Dre
05-23-2002, 08:02 AM
Thanks for taking the time to update us Stingu. Its much appreciated!! This is going to be a great year for us xbox gamers!

Casper
05-23-2002, 08:33 AM
I am so glad that the football games are looking impressive. I was a little disappointed in hearing about EA's dum move, but that's their loss. Halo controls will rock the house, along with the kick as$ XBox Live. So where are the PoS2 fanboys now, bragging that they are gonna have online status too, too busy trying to fix the lag that they are gonna have to deal with. Gotta love the XBox, It WON'T give up!!:D

JJaX
05-23-2002, 09:35 AM
I think the Halo controls are the only way to pull of a comfortable walk/look scheme. You would be a fool not to. But most FPS allow the user to set up every button to there desire. (Unreal/quake3)

And i am so jealous that you got to play UC :(

JJaX wants his UC :(

"FEAR ME!"

E-Xbox
05-23-2002, 02:47 PM
Originally posted by X-Ray
Thanks for the update. I'm excited for X-Box Live! Tell us more about unreal championship what changes were there from unreal tournament?

P.S. you might wanna post this in the E3 forum. I don't care but some people do. I say you've done a service by telling us this!
yo

uc is very different from ut...
just read up on uc a lil...
and u are one lucky guy to get to go to e3 just for that one day....
thanks for the update and stuff

peace