PDA

View Full Version : E3 report from MSNBC

Highlite23
05-23-2002, 08:15 AM
Please note this is only the MS part of the article, if you would like to view the entire article use the link at the bottom. Covers all 3 consoles and a little trash talk.

"MICROSOFT, ALL GROWN UP AFTER A YEAR

Last year, Microsoft’s E3 presentation was embarrassing. This year, it’s good. Last year there were not many games to show for Xbox. This year, Microsoft says that there are 300 new Xbox games in development, more than 200 will be available for the system by Christmas.
One game that will probably not be ready for Christmas is Tecmo’s Ninja Gaiden. The return of a 80s NES/arcade classic, this is a game in which players will control a sword-wheeling ninja as he battles men monsters.
There is no way of knowing if this new game will bare any resemblance to its classic progenitor. Microsoft showed a teasing trailer at a press conference and offered no comments. The trailer was beautiful.
But Tecmo is not the only company reprising its classics for Xbox. Sega is bringing Phantasy Star Online, Toe Jam & Earl III, World Series Baseball, and Panzer Dragoon Orta for Xbox. All of these games have great classical roots. And Microsoft’s vast library also offers some first party appeal. Crimson Skies and Midtown Madness, two excellent PC games, are about to make appearances on Xbox.
'Blinx: The Time Sweeper' is a promising platform adventure in which players help a cat with an instrument that works like a time-controlling camcorder.
So is Blinx: The Time Sweeper, a very attractive platform adventure in which a cat/janitor tries to rescue the world using a device that lets him play with time.
According to the description — I have not had the chance to play this game yet — this device is like a VCR for a time. It lets Blinx slow down enemies, rewind events, and make ghosts of himself so that he can be in two places at once.
They do not give E3 awards for most improved presentation. If they did, Microsoft would surely win it. Last year Microsoft’s disappointing library made Xbox look dead on its feet. This time, Xbox looks competitive.
It is especially competitive online. Microsoft has unveiled a subscription-based online service called “Xbox Live” that is priced to attract gamers.
Xbox comes with a built-in hard drive and Ethernet card. Players will need to pay a minimal subscription fee-the beginning offer is that you purchase a headset and a full-year’s subscription for $49.99. This may not seem like such a good deal at first blush. With Sony and Nintendo, you get online access free simply for buying games, whereas with Microsoft, you also pay for the game service.
Under the surface, Microsoft’s deal is very competitive. Yes, with Microsoft you pay for the service, but you get the Ethernet card and hard drive when you buy your console. With Sony and Nintendo, those pieces of hardware cost extra."

http://www.msnbc.com/news/755214.asp?0dm=-329T#BODY

Casper
05-23-2002, 08:26 AM
Very nice find man. I have seen the opening presentation 3X already and am very impressed. I just hope I have enough $$ to spend on the rest of the family come xmas time, cuz it looks like this is gonna be one helluva fall season! :eek:

MOrgE
05-23-2002, 08:30 AM
Originally posted by highlite23
Xbox comes with a built-in hard drive and Ethernet card. Players will need to pay a minimal subscription fee-the beginning offer is that you purchase a headset and a full-year’s subscription for $49.99. This may not seem like such a good deal at first blush.

WHA?!?!?!?!? :(
not such a good deal??
i hope they continue this $49.99 yearly deal for a loooong time...

does this seem expensive to you guys???

Dre
05-23-2002, 08:37 AM
Originally posted by MOrgE

not such a good deal??

Hellz no, this guy's on crack. Its an awesome deal! 1 full year subscription PLUS a voice communicator headset PLUS an online-enabled racing game (which he failed to mention).

On a side note, for anyone owning a GCN, I read the whole article from the link that highlite gave us, it seems that Metroid Prime is going to be one helluva game. Thats one game I wish I had the chance to play...

Alien
05-23-2002, 08:59 AM

That's a good deal. That's not hardly expensive, plus it comes with all that stuff.

CoMATOSE
05-23-2002, 09:29 AM

not such a good deal??

i thought it was a good deal.........but then again we in the UK don't actully have any deal yet:o .......