PDA

View Full Version : Xbox Live: How do I connect?

Ninja Scroll
05-23-2002, 10:24 AM
I was just over at xbox.com and read about the need to be able to connect to Xbox Live.

Okay, we all already know we need a high speed modem ala DSL & Cable.
But I have a couple questions fellow addicts.
Aight, first im thinking about getting a notebook and wondered if you can have broadband for it? Bare with me guys, I know little about notebooks.
But if you can, can you go through your notebook to get online with Xbox Live?
Also they say you need a Ethernet port, but I though their already was one in the Xbox?:eek:

This shiiii is starting to confuse my ass!:confused:

Save me, saaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaave meeeeeeeeeee!!!!:o

l Maximus l
05-23-2002, 10:28 AM
I think that they are referring to connecting your modem to the XBox while also allowing your computer to have high speed internet access. I imagine that it will be hooked up the exact same way as XBConnect requires it. This way you can have high speed internet access for your computer and have the high speed access to your XBox without having to unplug and replug it every time you want to switch from playing your XBox to surfing the internet. That's my assumption...hope that helps! :)

Veno
05-23-2002, 10:30 AM
Ninja Gaiden, Xbox forum savior, stop waisting your precious time in this forum and finish Hunter so we can know all about it. Thank you, master sensei.

Xtopia
05-23-2002, 10:44 AM
Ninja, I have attached a picture to help you understand.

JJaX
05-23-2002, 10:50 AM
Ninja you have to pay for a broad band ISP. Like comcast cable and Verison DSL for example. They Provide the modem etc.

You dont need a PC to participate with Xboxlive. The modems can plug right onto your xbox.

Correct me if im wrong, (which im not)

Ninja Scroll
05-23-2002, 10:53 AM
Originally posted by Veno
Ninja Gaiden, Xbox forum savior, stop waisting your precious time in this forum and finish Hunter so we can know all about it. Thank you, master sensei.

LOL, dude, im at work posting my ass off. I cant play Hunter until this evening when I get off work bro.
btw, Van said he has it and posting his impressions in the "new release" forum, peep it out kid!:)

Casper
05-23-2002, 10:54 AM
Originally posted by JJaX
Ninja you have to pay for a broad band ISP. Like comcast cable and Verison DSL for example. They Provide the modem etc.

You dont need a PC to participate with Xboxlive. The modems can plug right onto your xbox.

That's what I figured too. I have a nice hub, so I can just hook the xbox up to one port and my PC's to the other. Even without a hub though, you should just have the cable modem go right into the XBox, giving you internet connection for multiplayer. ;)

One question though: Will there be some kind of IE browser so you can maybe "surf" on the Box? Or am I just way ahead of myself on that?

*Note to self: Don't give that idea out, could make M$ come after me and buy out my idea :p

Ninja Scroll
05-23-2002, 10:57 AM

JJax, I know you have to pay $50.00 a month for broadband ( greedy b@satards!:mad: ) which I would have to get earthlink's since their my ISP right now.

But I sill have not gotta a couple questions answered ya'll.
1. Can you have broadband on a notebook?

2. If so can you get on Xbox Live with a notebook?
:confused:

Ninja Scroll
05-23-2002, 10:59 AM
Originally posted by casper

One question though: Will there be some kind of IE browser so you can maybe "surf" on the Box? Or am I just way ahead of myself on that?

According to MS they will not have internet exploring on the Xbox cause they feel it will replicate a PC.
I dont know who they are leasoning too, but I wish they would change thier minds.:(

l Maximus l
05-23-2002, 11:00 AM
Originally posted by Ninja Scroll

JJax, I know you have to pay $50.00 a month for broadband ( greedy b@satards!:mad: ) which I would have to get earthlink's since their my ISP right now.

Dude, I'm not sure what you mean about a notebook. That's new lingo for me...wish I could help :confused:

Frink
05-23-2002, 11:03 AM

:confused: Yes, you can have broadband with a notebook. You will just need an ethernet card for the notebook. Since broadband will work I imagine that Xbox Live will.

Ninja Scroll
05-23-2002, 11:04 AM
Originally posted by Waximus

Dude, I'm not sure what you mean about a notebook. That's new lingo for me...wish I could help :confused:

Your kidding right waximus? Notebook is just another name for desktops. My bad for confusing you.;)

Now with dat out da way can a Ninja get some answers please!:D

Ninja Scroll
05-23-2002, 11:08 AM
Originally posted by professor_frink
Yes, you can have broadband with a notebook. You will just need an ethernet card for the notebook. Since broadband will work I imagine that Xbox Live will.
Sup Frink- my avator creator!:)

So I will need a seperate ethernet card? And where will the broadband go on the notebook? Im so slow!:( :o :(

Spaztic
05-23-2002, 11:08 AM

yes it will work on your notebook (smaller laptop) you need to get a nic that fit into pccard slot on the notebook! And xbox connect is just a type of software that tunnels you to the xbox network so it will work....That is how I have my system setup to get on xboxconnector my laptop by my side and tv in front of me!

DZNUTZ
05-23-2002, 11:10 AM
ninja..yes u can use broadband with your notebook

i also heard that they decided not to have net surfing capibilities on the xbox due to that being their original plan...but had to scratch the idea out because NUMEROUS gamedevelopers did like the plan ( not sho quite why) originally the xbox was gonna be a full multimedia console..but they had to limit their original plans....but as u can see , anyone who took the MS survey recently....their trying to expand on the xbox with their "newpc" and connection kit.

Spaztic
05-23-2002, 11:11 AM

Sup Frink- my avator creator!:)

So I will need a seperate ethernet card? And where will the broadband go on the notebook? Im so slow!:( :o :(

some notebooks might already have a ethernet card in them check for the oversized phoneline looking connection! If not go to best buy and ask for a ethernet pccard for you notebook, they should know what you are talking about, if they don't go to a different store quickly!

You will have a modem for broadband, so you will probably need a hub as well, you take the cable from the modem plug it into the hub and then you can have 2 connections to broadband, one on your desktop computer and the other on you laptop!

DZNUTZ
05-23-2002, 11:13 AM
guess i was to slow in my response...

so i need a pc (ethernet) card for broadband (dsl) to work on my notebook?

btw ninja..a notebook is a laptop..not a desktop

Spaztic
05-23-2002, 11:43 AM
yes you need a ethernet pc card that fits in your notebooks slot to connect to your modem!

http://images.bestbuy.com/images/esku/angle/11082221anA.jpg

make sure you check for compadability, I am not positive if "one size fits all" but I think so.

this card is like $50 at bestbuy...
you might have better luck finding one for cheeper at www.pricewatch.com

link to BB's Card (http://www.bestbuy.com/detail.asp?e=11082221&m=488&cat=540&scat=1576)

Ninja Scroll
05-23-2002, 11:55 AM
Originally posted by DZNUTZ
guess i was to slow in my response...

so i need a pc (ethernet) card for broadband (dsl) to work on my notebook?

btw ninja..a notebook is a laptop..not a desktop

Thanks for da help everyone, specially Dznutz, Shaggy & Frink.:)
That's alot of info to comprehend, but I think I will be okay,... I think!:confused:

So basically after I get my LAPTOP (thanks for correcting me DZ) have to get a "hub"? What da hell is dat?
Is it something that connects the phone line ports too!?

God, I feel like im special now,...and I dont mean dat in a good way!:o

JJaX
05-23-2002, 11:58 AM
The hub allows muliple 'PCs/xboxs' to connect to your internet connection.

For example, Most people here have a PC+Xbox hooked into a hub.

Think of it like this, You have a phone wire comming out of the wall, plug that into a Hub. You can now plug 5 or 6 phones into the hub and when you pick up those phones they will all have a dial tone.
(But a hub isnt used for Phone wires, Its used for catagory 5 ethernet wire, also known as Cat 5. And you wouldnt use a hub for phone lines, I was just using it like a analogy that you should understand. The phones would obvouisly be PCs/Xboxs)

The hub creates a mini network.

Did that help? Or make it more confusing?

Ninja Scroll
05-23-2002, 12:26 PM
The hub allows muliple 'PCs/xboxs' to connect to your internet connection.

For example, Most people here have a PC+Xbox hooked into a hub.

Think of it like this, You have a phone wire comming out of the wall, plug that into a Hub. You can now plug 5 or 6 phones into the hub and when you pick up those phones they will all have a dial tone.
(But a hub isnt used for Phone wires, Its used for catagory 5 ethernet wire, also known as Cat 5. And you wouldnt use a hub for phone lines, I was just using it like a analogy that you should understand. The phones would obvouisly be PCs/Xboxs)

The hub creates a mini network.

Did that help? Or make it more confusing?

Naw dawg, that helped alot. Thanks for downgrading yourself to my 5 grade level of understanding Jjax!:o

And thanks you Shaggy for the pic and info.:)

Ninja feel smart again! ;)

JJaX
05-23-2002, 12:41 PM

Naw dawg, that helped alot. Thanks for downgrading yourself to my 5 grade level of understanding Jjax!:o

And thanks you Shaggy for the pic and info.:)

Ninja feel smart again! ;)

:cool:

SkoalMint
05-23-2002, 12:41 PM
Since you don't already have a notebook, I suggest getting one that has a network adapter built in as opposed to purchasing a separate network card. I have used both and the problem with the separate card is the little dongle that connects the card to your cat-5 cable can fall out very easily when you move the notebook around on your lap.

Spaztic
05-23-2002, 01:36 PM
Originally posted by SkoalMint
Since you don't already have a notebook, I suggest getting one that has a network adapter built in as opposed to purchasing a separate network card. I have used both and the problem with the separate card is the little dongle that connects the card to your cat-5 cable can fall out very easily when you move the notebook around on your lap.

SkoalMint is right....if you are going to be moving the laptop around, plugging the card in and out you might end up damaging it. Those dongle things usually hold fairly well but since I am a tech I have seen quite a few that break!

SkoalMint
05-23-2002, 01:43 PM
Originally posted by Shaggy

SkoalMint is right....if you are going to be moving the laptop around, plugging the card in and out you might end up damaging it. Those dongle things usually hold fairly well but since I am a tech I have seen quite a few that break!

Personally, I've gone through three of them in the last year. Fortunately, work pays for them. However, its a pain when you're on the road for a week and it breaks on Monday. I carry a spare one now just in case. Should be getting a new laptop soon tho with a built in connection.

Ninja Scroll
05-23-2002, 02:12 PM
D@mn, it does pay off to me a XBA member, all this help and advice from my fellow gamers are overwhelming.

Question guys, im really considering a high end Dell notebook.
Who do you all feel makes the best ones?
And how will I know if a network adapter is already built-in the laptop? Just look at the specs and it will tell me?

JJaX
05-23-2002, 02:18 PM
D@mn, it does pay off to me a XBA member, all this help and advice from my fellow gamers are overwhelming.

And how will I know if a network adapter is already built-in the laptop? Just look at the specs and it will tell me?

I think Dell makes pretty good computers. And ues the specs will tell you if it comes with a NIC. (network interface card?)

But knowing dell it will probaly say some junk like:

INTERNET READY!!! WOW!

Casper
05-23-2002, 02:31 PM

Hey man, if you want, PM me with what you want, and I will whip something up from you through Dell. I can even have the quote emailed right to ya. I work at a college, so I have a few customer service reps that i deal with through Dell. I can setup a good top of the line for not that bad of a price. Dell is the way to go! :cool:

Dude, Ninja Scroll's getttin' a Dell! :D

Ninja Scroll
05-23-2002, 02:31 PM

I think Dell makes pretty good computers. And ues the specs will tell you if it comes with a NIC. (network interface card?)

But knowing dell it will probaly say some junk like:

INTERNET READY!!! WOW!

LOL, I dont think their that simplistic Jjax.:rolleyes:
Hey, I was just over at dell.com peeping out some of dem joints.

Check this out http://www.dell.com/us/en/dhs/products/series_inspn_notebooks.htm

I was the 8200, does anyone think I would be good to no with this notebook from Dell?
I got da cheese to drop on it.:)

Ninja Scroll
05-23-2002, 02:36 PM

Hey man, if you want, PM me with what you want, and I will whip something up from you through Dell. I can even have the quote emailed right to ya. I work at a college, so I have a few customer service reps that i deal with through Dell. I can setup a good top of the line for not that bad of a price. Dell is the way to go! :cool:

Dude, Ninja Scroll's getttin' a Dell! :D

LMAO!!@Ninja getting a Dell!!:D

That dude on that commercial is a playa pimp yo!:D You see him in the car mackin dat chicken head?
He's a best yo!;)

Casper
05-23-2002, 02:45 PM
I did some little mods to the 8200 to probably fit the needs. The price they give on the site can be lowered if u talk with one of the reps.
Dell 8200 - the phat edition (http://configure.us.dell.com/dellstore/config.asp?customer_id=19&keycode=6V017&order_code=8two8&cfgpg=1)

Yeah, Steve is the man. I love when Mr. Foster was like "Isn't that your father's car?" Steve was like "ummm....no!"...didn't want his spot to get blown up...lol

Here's Steve's site, for those curious one'sDude, Your Getting a Dell! (http://www.dell.com/us/en/dhs/topics/segtopic_steven_home.htm)

JJaX
05-23-2002, 02:56 PM
F steve, I should sell Dells.

Id be like in a sir-smoke-alot voice:

"B1tch! By this s4it! HA HA HA HA HAAAAAAAAAA"

Then id light a blunt up and start duing the running man. THen id punch my body guards like Smoke-alot does.

E-Xbox
05-23-2002, 02:59 PM
xbox live will change the face of console gaming forever!
but n e ways...
if u are getting labtop...definately get one with an ethernet card/port already in it...

peace

Casper
05-23-2002, 03:30 PM
F steve, I should sell Dells.

Id be like in a sir-smoke-alot voice:

"B1tch! By this s4it! HA HA HA HA HAAAAAAAAAA"

Then id light a blunt up and start duing the running man. THen id punch my body guards like Smoke-alot does.

ROFLMAO!!!! @ JJax....dude you just kill me....yo man...I gotta head down to dirty jerzee 1 time n' blaze wit u man....then play some box and meet some ho's and get some box...no what i mean?:p

CodeMonkey
05-23-2002, 06:36 PM
Ninja dude,
answer to your questions
can u use boradband on a laptop? answer=YES, as long as its got a ethernet port. on new laptops they are now built in, other wise you will need to purchase a PCMCIA network card (PCMCIA is another type of slot, like PCI,AGP but is only used on laptops)

2 can i use xboxlive on my laptop answer= If microsoft want you to use your pc as a server then yes, it would be the same type of layout as gamespy sofware..just far better.....but i think this feature will be built into the game, and u will select it to connect to the net. u will not need a pc acting as a server IMO.....

Hope this help:D

Ninja Scroll
05-24-2002, 08:14 AM
Originally posted by CodeMonkey
Ninja dude,
answer to your questions
can u use boradband on a laptop? answer=YES, as long as its got a ethernet port. on new laptops they are now built in, other wise you will need to purchase a PCMCIA network card (PCMCIA is another type of slot, like PCI,AGP but is only used on laptops)

2 can i use xboxlive on my laptop answer= If microsoft want you to use your pc as a server then yes, it would be the same type of layout as gamespy sofware..just far better.....but i think this feature will be built into the game, and u will select it to connect to the net. u will not need a pc acting as a server IMO.....

Hope this help:D

Day 2 of Ninja's laptop continues! :o
Okay, I just copied this from the Dell 8200, does this mean the Ethernet is optional or is it built in?

Man, I want this sweet ass Dell Laptop!

Communication Devices
Network Interface Cards

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Optional: Internal v.92 56K3 modem + 10/100 network interface combo card

Optional:Xircom® RealPortTM Ethernet 10/100 + 56K3 modem combo PC Card

Optional:Xircom® Ethernet II 10/100 PC Card

Optional: Mini-PCI 802-11 wireless network interface card

http://www.dell.com/us/en/dhs/products/model_inspn_1_inspn_8200.htm

JJaX
05-24-2002, 08:22 AM

ROFLMAO!!!! @ JJax....dude you just kill me....yo man...I gotta head down to dirty jerzee 1 time n' blaze wit u man....then play some box and meet some ho's and get some box...no what i mean?:p

S4it playa, Even better we could hit up the city. The train station is like 3 minutes from the crib.

Casper
05-24-2002, 10:36 AM

Okay, I just copied this from the Dell 8200, does this mean the Ethernet is optional or is it built in?

Communication Devices
Network Interface Cards

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Either one that you get, it will enable you to have broadband (that along with having roadrunner or whatever). I suggest getting the internal or the Xircom. The Xircom Ethernet II is what I have in mine, and it is very reliable.

Casper
05-24-2002, 10:37 AM

S4it playa, Even better we could hit up the city. The train station is like 3 minutes from the crib.

Man, your closer than I am. I'm upstate about an hour, right in between Albany and NYC, but yeah man, that would be hot. Haven't been to no clubs down there in a while.:(

CodeMonkey
05-24-2002, 10:47 AM

Communication Devices
Network Interface Cards

unless u want wireless, then dont bother with this, cos you will need to buy a wireless access point for it to work with the card...

apart from that, any of the others will work fine and it just comes down to cost. you will pay more for a combo card and do u really need 56 k connection? if not then save on cost and just get the ethernet 10/100...

Ninja Scroll
05-24-2002, 10:59 AM
Originally posted by CodeMonkey

unless u want wireless, then dont bother with this, cos you will need to buy a wireless access point for it to work with the card...

apart from that, any of the others will work fine and it just comes down to cost. you will pay more for a combo card and do u really need 56 k connection? if not then save on cost and just get the ethernet 10/100...

D@mn I need to take some computer classes or somthing.
cause it's something new everytime i ask as question.
YO CodeMonkey, so bsically the starting cost for the laptop is what they listed and if I get the Ethernet 10/100 or whatever it was called that's like an upgrade and will cost me more?

Also I dont want no 56K, that's what they said is an option.
I want the broadband so I can get online with it for Xbox Live.

Thanks for your help monkey & casper!:)

btw, how can you talk them into lower the prices?:confused: Is it like negotiating for a car or something?

JJaX
05-24-2002, 11:01 AM

Man, your closer than I am. I'm upstate about an hour, right in between Albany and NYC, but yeah man, that would be hot. Haven't been to no clubs down there in a while.:(

Oh, so your up by rochester and Junk? Gothca.....

JJaX
05-24-2002, 11:02 AM

btw, how can you talk them into lower the prices?:confused: Is it like negotiating for a car or something?

I know there are Gateway stores, But ive never seen a Dell store. but i doubt you can talk down the prices. If you can thats news to me.

Ninja Scroll
05-24-2002, 11:19 AM

I know there are Gateway stores, But ive never seen a Dell store. but i doubt you can talk down the prices. If you can thats news to me.

That's what I though Jjax, but casper said different.:eek:

CodeMonkey
05-24-2002, 11:28 AM

D@mn I need to take some computer classes or somthing.
cause it's something new everytime i ask as question.
YO CodeMonkey, so bsically the starting cost for the laptop is what they listed and if I get the Ethernet 10/100 or whatever it was called that's like an upgrade and will cost me more?

Also I dont want no 56K, that's what they said is an option.
I want the broadband so I can get online with it for Xbox Live.

Thanks for your help monkey & casper!:)

Yeah, if u want the ethernet card then it will cost more, and i dont think it will be much extra. if it is expensive then there is the option for buying your own and using one of the PCMCIA slots the laptop has. just an idea... (but if u do get Dell to put the ethernet card in, it will be built into the laptop. and will free up both PCMCIA slots.)
if your going to pay cash for your laptop, u could say look im paying cash can u through in the ethernet card for free or knock some off the price.

Here are some screen shots of my latop, may help u understand better with what has been said in this thread

http://codemonkey.kicks-ass.net/ninja.html

if you have any questions Ninja then just PM me
:D

Casper
05-24-2002, 11:36 AM
When you call Dell (not going through a retailer, call them direct) you can negotiate with them If the kid (that's who most of the cus. reps. are) gives you a hard time about knocking down the price, work with him. Yes it is like buying a car, so if he says that he can't, he's full of it, he should be going back to his supervisor to verify that he can make certain changes. You may be on the phone with them for a little while, but it's worth it.

In regards to the 56k, I have one for those just in case times. You never know when your on the road and go to a hotel that doesn't have broadband, so it's a just in case kind of thing,....ya know.

Hope that helps Ninja :)

Ninja Scroll
05-24-2002, 03:02 PM
When you call Dell (not going through a retailer, call them direct) you can negotiate with them If the kid (that's who most of the cus. reps. are) gives you a hard time about knocking down the price, work with him. Yes it is like buying a car, so if he says that he can't, he's full of it, he should be going back to his supervisor to verify that he can make certain changes. You may be on the phone with them for a little while, but it's worth it.

In regards to the 56k, I have one for those just in case times. You never know when your on the road and go to a hotel that doesn't have broadband, so it's a just in case kind of thing,....ya know.

Hope that helps Ninja :)

Thank you very much Casper & Codemonkey, I will never forget your help and time with my millions of laptop/broadband questions. And to everyone else too.:)

btw, I will remember to try and work a deal with these cats at Dell.
I will more than likely order mine around August/September, before Xbox Live goes ...LIVE!!

btw, anyone notice Best Buy, nor Circuit City carry Dell Computers or Laptops? I find that odd!:eek:

Spaztic
05-24-2002, 03:27 PM
dude do me a favor and look some place else besides dell
this I found practically the same laptop that dell is selling for $600 cheeper. Go to www.pricewatch.com and hit notebooks, there are about 3million laptops that are better then the one you are looking at for a cheeper price!

link to $600 dollar cheeper laptop (http://www.newgenpc.com/smoreinfo.asp?iid=1265)

Spaztic
05-24-2002, 03:29 PM
If that dell you are looking at is in your price range, just upgrade one of those laptops on pricewatch, it will be a monster!

Ninja Scroll
05-24-2002, 04:51 PM
Originally posted by Shaggy
dude do me a favor and look some place else besides dell
this I found practically the same laptop that dell is selling for $600 cheeper. Go to www.pricewatch.com and hit notebooks, there are about 3million laptops that are better then the one you are looking at for a cheeper price!

link to $600 dollar cheeper laptop (http://www.newgenpc.com/smoreinfo.asp?iid=1265)

Hey Shaggy, thanks bro, but those Dell prices over their are not really any better of a deal.
If im not mistakening most of those Pc's & notebooks are used. Atleast that's what is says at the top right hand of the site.

Spaztic
05-24-2002, 05:34 PM

Hey Shaggy, thanks bro, but those Dell prices over their are not really any better of a deal.
If im not mistakening most of those Pc's & notebooks are used. Atleast that's what is says at the top right hand of the site.

hey dawg I didn't see where it said it was used! You talking about the link to the laptop or pricewatch.com? But if you are set on dell go for it, they are some great laptops, just trying to save ya some $!