PDA

View Full Version : XBOX 2 (MS slip of the lip?)

Hugh_Jass
05-23-2002, 11:33 AM
"Playstation had a one-year head start on Xbox," Microsoft marketing director John O'Rourke said.

"I can tell you that next time the competition won't get a one-year head start on us."

http://newsvote.bbc.co.uk/hi/english/entertainment/new_media/newsid_2002000/2002112.stm?dynamic_vote=ON#vote_console_war

So, what does this mean? Sony has announced the PS3 would arrive in 2005. Will be see an XBOX2 BEFORE then?

l Maximus l
05-23-2002, 12:12 PM
Yeah...that statement sure stuck out in that article! lol

I guess we'll see what happens :D

Dre
05-23-2002, 12:21 PM
Originally posted by Maximus
Yeah...that statement sure stuck out in that article! lol

I guess we'll see what happens :D

The only thing I hope is that Xbox2 will be backwards compatible. Especially if it comes out in 2005. I think Sony did a great move when they introduced this!

Highlite23
05-23-2002, 12:36 PM
It wouldn't surprise me at all if MS just kept building momentum and just kinda waits for the PS3 announcement just to announce XBOX2 and steal Sony's thunder. If Sony really waits for 2005 i think there doomed, with each day that passes the fact that PS2 is in 3rd place, technology wise, becomes more apparent. As for backwards compatability, i would say thats a give in.

Ninja Scroll
05-23-2002, 12:37 PM
Originally posted by Hugh_Jass

http://newsvote.bbc.co.uk/hi/english/entertainment/new_media/newsid_2002000/2002112.stm?dynamic_vote=ON#vote_console_war

So, what does this mean? Sony has announced the PS3 would arrive in 2005. Will be see an XBOX2 BEFORE then?

No, no, no guys. What he is saying is not that the Xbox2 will be out before the PoS3, he is saying they will not have a full on year head start. naw mean.
So the Xbox2 will ship in less than 12 month from the time Phony's new crappy console ships!

LynxFX
05-23-2002, 12:39 PM
Yeah I'm hoping for backwards capability too. That is something very easy to incorporate with the Xbox architecture. They could still use new storage technology since those have all been designed or are being designed with the original CD-Rom in mind for the form factor. C3D, HD-DVD and others.

X-Ray
05-23-2002, 01:13 PM
MS's key here will be making the more powerful system. By the time the game lists for each system are about equal, power will win out! Obviously the X-Box is far more powerful, but part of that is due to the fact that it is a year younger. MS is really going to have to fire on all cylinders to make a more powerful machine without the headstart because power will determine the success of the new next generation consoles.

Xtopia
05-23-2002, 01:18 PM
Originally posted by Ninja Scroll

No, no, no guys. What he is saying is not that the Xbox2 will be out before the PoS3, he is saying they will not have a full on year head start. naw mean.
So the Xbox2 will ship in less than 12 month from the time Phony's new crappy console ships!

I think you'r right, Ninja.

But ya, I think that Sony made an excellent descision introducing backwards compatibility! I hope MS does the same...

X-Ray
05-23-2002, 01:30 PM
Yes, backwards compatability ensured their dyanasty. But now they deal with the M$ dynasty!

LynxFX
05-23-2002, 01:41 PM
I think Sony may be shooting themselves in the foot with the PS3. It is too early to tell but from the early reports it sounds like they won't be making it backwards compatible since they were even talking no media at all.

Guess we'll see in 3-4 years. :)

plpkb
05-23-2002, 02:06 PM
Well we all know nintendo will be at least a year behind. I think that if they due that next time it will be game over for nintendo.

Xbox Owner
05-23-2002, 02:11 PM
It's a pretty cool thing, because it could mean...

1. Xbox2 could be out sooner than we think.
2. Xbox2 will be out the same time as ps3
3. Xbox2 will come out a little bit later than ps3, but not a year.
4. Doesn't matter, because xbox2 will kick some ps3 ass

:D

EHWfedPres
05-23-2002, 02:18 PM
I'd rather see the PoS3 come out a year before Xbox2...that way, the Xbox 2 will pick up on all the PoS3's many many possible errors and make the better system. It's happened already...Harddrive, internet playability, cd ripping, etc. Xbox has PoS2 beat and all PoS2 fans can do is deny it.

But I would like to go about 5 or so years with no new systems...none of this new system a year bullcrap...thats just stupid.

E-Xbox
05-23-2002, 02:51 PM
Originally posted by Motoko S9
I just hope they think of a cooler name other than "Xbox2"...
yea they better
hehe...
and it would be sweet if the new system comes out before pos3...
hehe....i think xbox 2 should be called...ROX ...
revenge...of ....xbox..
hehe

peace

Kortiz
05-23-2002, 03:07 PM
ok guys, lets get this straight.

we gotta get out of the "fanboy" thing.....PS3 is going to just as advanced as the next Xbox will be. this time from what i just read Sony wont be old......lets get our asses out of our heads and really think about it. unless Xbox pulls through with some BIG GAMES within the next 3 years, we could have a problem. By problem i mean, we wont be on top and we cant sit on our highhorses and talk SHIAT about other companies. right now we can talk about ps2 all we want, JAGGIES says it all right there.

just trying to say that sony gots experience in this gaming business...and history doesnt repeat itself all the time.

keeping an open mind in this case.

wweomaniac
05-23-2002, 03:10 PM
my theory is that...well

Gaming industry makes $40 Billion a year.
Sony probably made a big chunk of it bfore.
MS's idea was to spend hella lots of money on xbox to get the public aware.
then release xbox 2 while its really hyped aboot... and make even more money. Coming out at the same time would have made microsoft better than ps2... but the technology would have been more expensive.

but till 2005...we'll see what happens. I will buy the xbox 2.

wweomaniac
05-23-2002, 03:14 PM
Originally posted by ChickenSHHHH
ok guys, lets get this straight.

we gotta get out of the "fanboy" thing.....PS3 is going to just as advanced as the next Xbox will be. this time from what i just read Sony wont be old......lets get our asses out of our heads and really think about it. unless Xbox pulls through with some BIG GAMES within the next 3 years, we could have a problem. By problem i mean, we wont be on top and we cant sit on our highhorses and talk SHIAT about other companies. right now we can talk about ps2 all we want, JAGGIES says it all right there.

just trying to say that sony gots experience in this gaming business...and history doesnt repeat itself all the time.

keeping an open mind in this case.
There has always been only 2 companies involved in console wars. whenever a third company tried to come in... one would lose. There is only enough room for two. If MS does better than GC... you can expect to see XB2 come out to continue the trend.

Genesis vs. Super Nintendo (Atari Jaguar lost that battle and no more atari consoles)
N64 vs PSone (Sega Saturn failed...)
XBOX vs PS2 (DC failed.. and no more sega consoles. GC may jsut as well follow. )

Kortiz
05-23-2002, 03:20 PM
but the thing is.....fanboys are most likely always going to be fanboys for what they preach about.

nobody is going to want to change their mind after all the crap most peeps talk about MS and GC.....all i hear is "my friend keeps downing my box or my dice"...nah mean? see i just made a reference to the GC....by saying dice....it is inevitable that i will be xbox fan for awhile after i paid 300bucks for the damn thing.....see what im sayin.....

MerimacHamwich
05-23-2002, 03:36 PM
All i have to say is that xbox was known at relatively the same time the ps2 was in developement and if they could'nt make a system to compete with the xbox then, then i think that we need not worry about ps3 being better they will probably make it equivalent to the xbox which makes you think why would microsoft make a second xbox? Frankly i hope MS use the xbox to its fullest potential before building a second system. Please do not refer to it as xbox 2 becuase that is the worst name ever. Talk about no creativity on sonys part. PS2...oh my god. Could'nt they come up with a better name. I mean its like Final Fantasy, When will they stop and realize its not the same story, and come up with another name that actually makes sense? PS2 ... it boggles my mind how stupid that name is. Even the word PLAYSTATION, thats something you call the place where your baby cousin sits and plays at. When the nest MS system comes out i sure hope its makes leaps and bounds just like the xbox did.

Whisper
05-23-2002, 05:13 PM
If either one of them come out im leaving the world of gaming, sick of buying new systems.

Hugh_Jass
05-23-2002, 10:03 PM
The practical lifecycle of a gaming console is two years. After that, it REALLY starts looking old compared to PC games. I'd like to see MS put out a console every 2-3 years. $300 is not a ton of money if amortized over 2-3 years. That's 27 - 41 cents per day. If you can't afford that then you probably can't afford the electricity to power an XBOX anyway.

Kooster
05-23-2002, 10:08 PM
if u have a job it doesnt seem like a lot of money. $300 doesnt just come around to kids/young teens, and parents dont like buying a new console every 2 years...unless they are those rich parents that spoil their kids...they are so annoying.

Crazy Joe
05-23-2002, 10:25 PM
Originally posted by hotshot657
if u have a job it doesnt seem like a lot of money. $300 doesnt just come around to kids/young teens, and parents dont like buying a new console every 2 years...unless they are those rich parents that spoil their kids...they are so annoying.

true, $300 also doesn't come to college students, well.... except for student loans, but i learned my lesson this time with Xbox.

I did....... really.

hiter101
05-23-2002, 10:46 PM
wow i really hope that xbox 2 doesnt come out in the next 2-3 years because i just bought my xbox 2 weeks ago :cool: