PDA

View Full Version : I'm Finally Getting Off 56k! But Can I Play Xbox Online With This?

Whisper
05-23-2002, 01:49 PM
Haha, sorry for the caps in the subject, but im finally getting off this 56k junk as of Next Wednesday!

Now Toronto XBOXers could probably answer this for me, but can I play my XBOX online via Gamespy on Rogers High Speed Cable internet? Some of you who are on it might be able to answer that, anyway, since being on 56k for years this feels great.. ahhhhh I can download music and listen to it in the same h0ur, lol

yay me.

X-Ray
05-23-2002, 01:56 PM
What is your advertised speed for your new service? I know that you want at least 128 kb upload. You can host about one xbox for every 128 kb of upload. Download, I'm not sure what the rule of thumb is but I whould think that anything over 300kb or even lower. I'm just guessing on the download, and I heard the 128 kb upload rule somwhere on the forums a long time ago (months before I joined XBA). With better and better software coming out at XBConnect, the upload req's are probably a little lower than that.

I'm not the most tech savvy person in the world, so take my words with a few cups of salt--just consider them a starting point.

Xtopia
05-23-2002, 02:01 PM
Originally posted by wwfraven2k
Haha, sorry for the caps in the subject, but im finally getting off this 56k junk as of Next Wednesday!

Now Toronto XBOXers could probably answer this for me, but can I play my XBOX online via Gamespy on Rogers High Speed Cable internet? Some of you who are on it might be able to answer that, anyway, since being on 56k for years this feels great.. ahhhhh I can download music and listen to it in the same h0ur, lol

yay me.

If it is broadband it will work. But don't use Lag...er gamespy, use XBConnect. It is much, much better! Go to the official forum at XBA for help with setup.

Dre
05-23-2002, 02:03 PM
Hey there, I'm on Rogers as well.. you have more than enough bandwith to play lag-free.

E-Xbox
05-23-2002, 02:48 PM
Originally posted by Dre
Hey there, I'm on Rogers as well.. you have more than enough bandwith to play lag-free.

exactly...
im on rogers also..
and some times on gs....i can host 3 xboxes and have no lag...
i had equal lag with xbox connect then i did on gamespy....

peace

Spaztic
05-23-2002, 03:54 PM
I feel ya! I get my cable modem saturday!

Whisper
05-23-2002, 05:07 PM
YES! THANKS GUYS! Tell me, what am I going to need to purchase? And what will I need in the back of my comp. to get it all hooked up?

Spaztic
05-23-2002, 05:39 PM
Originally posted by wwfraven2k
YES! THANKS GUYS! Tell me, what am I going to need to purchase? And what will I need in the back of my comp. to get it all hooked up?

you need a ethernet network card (port looks like oversized phone cable, most computers come with it), 3 cat-5 cables (1 from modem to hub, other 2 to computer and xbox) and at least a 2 port hub.

Magnum Blast
05-23-2002, 05:58 PM
Ok that is it I am getting off of Bell Sympatico high speed edition. I can only get a max of 20 kb per second downloading (although it drops to 15 most of the time) and if I have to pay half of the high speed net bill then I'm getting real broadband. Of course I'll need to set up the stuff on my own because I dont think Rogers will be to happy that my family has split the cable line in about 6 places.