PDA

View Full Version : Looking Ahead...

FloBuzz
05-23-2002, 03:10 PM
After the release of Halo, I've noticed that a lot of companies have planned to make shooting games more often. Since a "sleeper" game like Halo was so surprisingly good, they are trying to repeat.

So what games do you guys think will live up to what Halo accomplished? With all these Shooting games coming out, there are a lot to choose from. What do you guys think?

RadRider
05-23-2002, 03:30 PM
Since Doom, companies have been bringing out shooters like crazy. In fact, Halo wouldn't even exist if it weren't for Half Life, which wouldn't exist if it weren't for Quake 2, which wouldn't exist if it weren't for Quake 1, which wouldn't exist if it weren't for Doom, which wouldn't exist if it weren't for Wolfenstein, which wouldn't exist if it weren't for Bard's Tale, etc., etc.

And although Halo has recieved a lot of acclaim, I don't personally see it as a huge revolution in the genre. I think it's a good game, but there are definitely better games out there, and I think Halo could have been much more than it is.

With that said, I think the "shooting" games coming out that will top Halo, are the ones that don't focus solely on shooting. Think Maelstrom, Bounty Hunter, Brute Force and Duality. While the latter two aren't even from a first person viewpoint, I think they still encompass the same genre that Halo tried to fit into. Of those games, I think Duality will be the best, bar none.