PDA

View Full Version : Doom III vs. Halo 2



Lazarus
05-23-2002, 08:51 PM
Hopefully, Doom III will be on Xbox- and I thought it would be interesting to see what everyone's opinion is on the next heavyweight FPS games.

Doom III's technology is completely new- so it by far has the upperhand graphically and atmospherically.

Halo 2 will (most likely) be a refurbished rendition of the Halo engine...not all in itself bad- considering the wait for Halo 2 will be considerably shorter than that of its predecessor.

Gameplay wise, Doom III will be more of a moody- dark, paced horror movie

Halo 2 will obviously be an enlargement on the frantic gameplay of Halo: Combat evolved

My pick is Doom III over Halo 2 by a considerable margin, but I'll be glad to hear any other differing opinions!

wweomaniac
05-23-2002, 09:06 PM
Doom III... the halo engine aint that great.

silvertrace
05-23-2002, 09:43 PM
i'd much rather have Halo 2, i think the addition of new maps and weapons will be just enough to get me hooked all over again.......

but there is news that perfect dark is in the works, and RARE can make a kick a$$ fps..............;)

OEM Alien
05-23-2002, 09:46 PM
DOOM III better be comming to xbox or im gonna ***** ON MS HQ in seattle! ...and on ID as well!
GRRRRRRRRRRRRRR! :mad:
i voted DOOM III, it's gonna crush everthing.

Xbox Owner
05-23-2002, 09:58 PM
Halo 2 of course. I bet Halo 1 could beat Doom III

JMO

faceoff508
05-23-2002, 10:04 PM
Originally posted by silvertrace
i'd much rather have Halo 2, i think the addition of new maps and weapons will be just enough to get me hooked all over again.......

but there is news that perfect dark is in the works, and RARE can make a kick a$$ fps..............;)

Silvertrace.. I like your sig but doesnt yoda say: Begun this cold war has" and you have it mixed up! So it would be right if you did "Begun this councel war has" Just wanted to tell you!, or if you don tlike my idea, just ignore me!

silvertrace
05-23-2002, 10:11 PM
Originally posted by faceoff508


Silvertrace.. I like your sig but doesnt yoda say: Begun this cold war has" and you have it mixed up! So it would be right if you did "Begun this councel war has" Just wanted to tell you!, or if you don tlike my idea, just ignore me!

in the movie he says "begun the clone war has"

i just changed it, and its spelled console :rolleyes:

Veno
05-23-2002, 10:45 PM
I'm really looking forward to Doom III, but nothing has been mentioned about multiplayer support or vehicles for it. So I gotta go with Halo 2, plus I realllly wanna drive a longsword (for those of you who dont know what tha tis it's that black stealth bomber kinda ship Master Chief left halo in)

bnorwood77
05-24-2002, 08:45 AM
The main reason I am excited more about Halo 2 (besides the fact that it kicks @$$), is that to play Doom 3 I am going to have to upgrade my video card in my PC...not fun :(

Dre
05-24-2002, 08:54 AM
Originally posted by bnorwood77
The main reason I am excited more about Halo 2 (besides the fact that it kicks @$$), is that to play Doom 3 I am going to have to upgrade my video card in my PC...not fun :(

Ya.. or you know.. buy it on Xbox.

I'm actually hyped about both games just as much. I love games with very involved stories and DoomIII is focusing heavily on that aspect. Halo 2 will hopefully follow on Halo and deliver a great sci-fi story. So I didn't put anything on the poll as I am looking forward to both with equal anticipation

MOrgE
05-24-2002, 09:06 AM
Gameplay wise, i think Halo 2 will be the winner. I just get more enjoyment outta playing Halo then i did any of the Dooms...

BUT...

Trent Reznor IS doing the soundtrack for Doom III... i can only imagine how dark and evil this game will really be....

i can't wait for both of em...

:cool:

JJaX
05-24-2002, 09:30 AM
I dont know...........

A brand new doom people.................
Im gonna have to vote DOOMIII, Because ID has been in the game longer then bungie when it comes to FPS.

But then again Halo was the greatest FPS to grace a console. Im torn so will not vote for either.

Veno
05-24-2002, 09:37 AM
What was ID's last game? I can only think of Dakatana... what a wipeout, geezus, worst game ever.

JJaX
05-24-2002, 09:39 AM
Originally posted by Veno
What was ID's last game? I can only think of Dakatana... what a wipeout, geezus, worst game ever.

Uhhh actually John Romero(SP?) was on the ID team but he left to make diakatana. (IDs big dogs used to be Carmanck + romero)

ID is responsible for the QUAKE3 Engine. Without ID you would have no Jedi knight 2, Metal of honor etc......

Veno
05-24-2002, 09:46 AM
Originally posted by JJaX


Uhhh actually John Romero(SP?) was on the ID team but he left to make diakatana. (IDs big dogs used to be Carmanck + romero)

ID is responsible for the QUAKE3 Engine. Without ID you would have no Jedi knight 2, Metal of honor etc......

Yeah but my point is their games really sucked as of lately. Then again were the doom games really that creative and interesting? I beat doom again about a year ago and wondered why I was interested in it at all. Not the technology or anything but it's just not interesting, same thing over and over and over. And I do blame ID for the Quake3 Engine, I hate the engine, it sucks. I prefer the UT engine.

JJaX
05-24-2002, 09:50 AM
Originally posted by Veno


Yeah but my point is their games really sucked as of lately. Then again were the doom games really that creative and interesting? I beat doom again about a year ago and wondered why I was interested in it at all. Not the technology or anything but it's just not interesting, same thing over and over and over. And I do blame ID for the Quake3 Engine, I hate the engine, it sucks. I prefer the UT engine.

Well doom was amazing for the time. While most kids were playing street fighter i was playing Co-op Doom via 14.4 modem. We also got into modding and dehacked. I agree UT is a sweet game to. I was actually in a great clan for the PG ladder. But you have to give ID credit for creating the FPS.

And how could you say the Quake3 engine sucks? Many hard-core UT players will admit that the quake3 engine is more powerful.

Veno
05-24-2002, 10:01 AM
Yeah... They did create the FPS but... bah, you win. Go doom 3!

UnitedKingdom
05-24-2002, 10:23 AM
Originally posted by JJaX


Well doom was amazing for the time. While most kids were playing street fighter i was playing Co-op Doom via 14.4 modem. We also got into modding and dehacked.

Damm right, doom kicked ass and i can only hope that doom 3 lives up to the hype. ID get big respect for kicking off FPS. In fact didn't they create wolfenstein 3d back in the day, it is the original FPS.

Dre
05-24-2002, 10:36 AM
Originally posted by UnitedKingdom


Damm right, doom kicked ass and i can only hope that doom 3 lives up to the hype. ID get big respect for kicking off FPS. In fact didn't they create wolfenstein 3d back in the day, it is the original FPS.

Yes sir.. first ever FPS by ID... Wolfentsein.. I remember playing that baby in all its 256 color pc-speaker splendor!

JimmieDoogan
05-24-2002, 11:16 AM
I'd just seen a long video about DIII on Gamespot. For now, I'm hyped up about it so I'll vote Doom3. When I see a video of HALO 2 I'll let you know if my mind has changed. SO UNTIL THEN.

dave_m123
05-24-2002, 01:23 PM
Doom3 sorta seems more like a surival Horror game from the screenshots ive seen.

dougi3000
05-24-2002, 04:30 PM
i will take co-op sci fi action adventure over Rambo style Helldemon atmosphere anyday.

Halo2 it is!

RadRider
05-24-2002, 04:35 PM
I like the Halo story a lot, and thing the series has a lot of potential. However, if Halo 2 turns out to be a lot like Halo 1, then Doom 3 will win easily.
I'll try to compare them side by side.

Both games have linear level progression with no chance of multiple endings.
Both games have you simply go kill everything you can, and operate a few lever-and-door puzzles.
Doom 3 has a far better and more atmospheric graphics engine than Halo.
You can drive vehicles in Halo but not Doom 3.
Halo has troops - who you can't control in any way and who merely get killed.
Doom 3 has you alone because they killed off all your buddies before the game starts.
Both games have a sci fi storyline that has you facing off against a horde of wierd sadistic monsters.
Both games are probably way overrated.

So there. I can't decide now. They both seem to even out somewhat in the end. Ah, I'll probably skip them both. Where's my Maelstrom?

Note: This comparison was done with what I know of Doom 1 and Halo 1.

Halo of Flies
05-24-2002, 04:50 PM
Originally posted by MOrgE
Trent Reznor IS doing the soundtrack for Doom III... i can only imagine how dark and evil this game will really be....
That's great news - he did a fantastic job on the music and sound for Quake!

PROUDXBOXOWNER
05-24-2002, 06:03 PM
hail the master chief-master chief qwill destroy