PDA

View Full Version : Game over for Nintendo chief

Highlite23
05-24-2002, 09:42 AM
May 24, 2002, 5:20 AM PT

Japanese video game maker Nintendo said Friday that its charismatic president Hiroshi Yamauchi, 74, would step down after more than half a century at the helm, handing power to a carefully groomed management group.
Yamauchi, outspoken but publicity-shy and a standout with his purple suits and plainspoken style, guided Nintendo's meteoric rise from a tiny maker of card games to a video game powerhouse.

His strategy, centered on creating innovative games rather than building ambitious entertainment technology like the rival PlayStation 2 and Xbox, is expected to remain intact under the new management team.

Taking the post of president on May 31 will be Satoru Iwata, the 42-year-old chief of corporate planning who joined the company two years ago from a game software developer.

"Six executive board members will form a management team that I hope will move quickly on vital matters," Yamauchi told a news conference at the company's headquarters in the ancient capital city of Kyoto, Japan.

"My job now will be simply to keep an eye on the whole process."

He will retain the title of adviser to the company but will not be part of the top management team.

The market had long expected that Yamauchi would be replaced by a team rather than a single, charismatic individual, said Takashi Oka, chief analyst at Tsubasa Research Institute.

There are worries that Yamauchi's influence with game software companies may be sorely missed--particularly his knack for selecting talented partners and enforcing strict loyalty to the Nintendo brand.

"The new management does not have a charismatic or godlike figure, so there is a risk that software makers may be able to get the upper hand in their dealings with Nintendo," Oka said.

Other members of the top management team will include Genyo Takeda, head of hardware development, and Shigeru Miyamoto, software development leader and creator of the hit "Zelda" game series. Executive Vice President Atsushi Asada will become chairman.

Yamauchi, who succeeded his grandfather as Nintendo's president in 1949, while still a university student, led the company through such milestones as the 1983 launch in Japan of the so-called family computer.

Later successes such as the GameBoy handheld game machine and hit game titles such as "Mario" and the Pokemon series fueled rapid profit growth.

A perennial fixture on Japan's billionaire list, Yamauchi dropped hints of his impending retirement in January, telling reporters that he may step down in the first half of the year.

He built the company into one of Japan's most cash-rich enterprises and grabbed headlines when he bought the Seattle Mariners baseball team.

His departure comes at a challenging time for the game maker, with its flagship GameCube home console entangled in a fierce three-way battle that includes Sony's PlayStation 2 and Microsoft's Xbox.

All three have announced deep price cuts over the past two weeks for their mainstay game machines.

http://news.com.com/2100-1040-922209.html?tag=cd_mh

JohnB
05-24-2002, 10:25 AM
yea I heard about that on some Nintendo forum... is this going to change the future of Nintendo.

Icey_Princess
05-24-2002, 10:37 AM
With the old fart gone chances are you'll find alot more mature games on the cube.... This old guy is the main problem behind Nintendos inability to adapt to the market. :eek: He wanted to make the cube a cartirage system :eek: :eek:

Icey_Princess
05-24-2002, 10:49 AM
Sorry for double posting but it was his idea to make the cube purple. :eek: Thank got it also comes in black......

Knight
05-24-2002, 10:56 AM
Originally posted by Icey_Princess
With the old fart gone chances are you'll find alot more mature games on the cube.... This old guy is the main problem behind Nintendos inability to adapt to the market. :eek: He wanted to make the cube a cartirage system :eek: :eek:

How do you know the old fart didn't Brainwash the replacement to the way he likes things??!!

"My job now will be simply to keep an eye on the whole process."

He will retain the title of adviser to the company but will not be part of the top management team.

What he's saying is I will be watching things & If I see something I don't like I will kill it!!

Knight
05-24-2002, 01:58 PM
------------>

melon
05-24-2002, 02:02 PM
well he was pretty old

Slacker
05-24-2002, 03:41 PM
if he doesn't have final word , then Nintendo may be in trouble not due to him but due to a Managment team making Decisions if you think there are delays now then it's only gonna be worse,
Japanese buisness isn't used to managment "teams" in the Higher postions ,Japanese buisnees is more or a Honor based system , with Leaders, not a team most people won't know how to act, and each one will try to become the "leader" thats the way it works in Japan,

I am not saying it won't work it will be different ,

personaly I think Nintendo should pull a Sega and just make games,

Knight
05-24-2002, 04:15 PM
Originally posted by Slacker
if he doesn't have final word , then Nintendo may be in trouble not due to him but due to a Managment team making Decisions if you think there are delays now then it's only gonna be worse,
Japanese buisness isn't used to managment "teams" in the Higher postions ,Japanese buisnees is more or a Honor based system , with Leaders, not a team most people won't know how to act, and each one will try to become the "leader" thats the way it works in Japan,

personaly I think Nintendo should pull a Sega and just make games,

Yes he will have the final word, he own nintendo!!

PROUDXBOXOWNER
05-24-2002, 04:51 PM
he was not a fart.he must be extremely intelligent because he was behing nintendo's bewildering success.

Alfonso
05-24-2002, 04:55 PM
Originally posted by Slacker

personaly I think Nintendo should pull a Sega and just make games, Nintendo is alot more finantially secure than Sega was. I think MS should just pull a Sega on us and spare us all the angwish, since there console is showing such a pitiful preformance in the market.

Crazy Joe
05-24-2002, 06:15 PM
Originally posted by Alfonso
Nintendo is alot more finantially secure than Sega was. I think MS should just pull a Sega on us and spare us all the angwish, since there console is showing such a pitiful preformance in the market.

ummm......... sure.

Hugh_Jass
05-25-2002, 12:02 AM
The "old fart" will probably be replaced with slightly less old farts.