PDA

View Full Version : New game, cell shaded FPS! [XIII]

JJaX
05-24-2002, 10:26 AM
http://gamespot.com/gamespot/stories/news/0,10870,2867796,00.html

damn this game sounds cool as hell!

The list of weapons includes an Uzi, a Beretta, a rocket launcher, a knife, a crossbow, an M-16, an M60, a bazooka, and many more. Each weapon will also include alternate firing options. There are also several unique ways to make weapons out of objects in the levels. You can smash a bottle and use its jagged neck as a melee weapon, or you can pick up broken shards of glass and hurl them like ninja stars.

While there's plenty of shooting to be done from both up close and from afar, there are other techniques to employ as well. You can hide dead bodies to keep them from alerting other enemies and you can creep up behind unsuspecting enemies and put them in a chokehold. You can then hold them hostage and drag them out into the open. When you have a hostage, other enemies will no longer shoot at you, and when the hostage has served its purpose, you can break its neck and be done with it

:cool:

http://image.com.com/gamespot/images/2002/e32002/pc/xiii/xiii_screen002.jpg
http://image.com.com/gamespot/images/2002/e32002/pc/xiii/xiii_screen010.jpg

http://image.com.com/gamespot/images/2002/e32002/pc/xiii/xiii_screen018.jpg

More pics here

http://gamespot.com/gamespot/filters/products/screenindex/0,11104,557910,00.html?page=1

Xtopia
05-24-2002, 10:36 AM
Cool, I saw that game in GI. Nice pics!

LynxFX
05-24-2002, 10:36 AM
This would be a cool game....if it wasn't using lame cell shading.

I'll pass.

JJaX
05-24-2002, 10:46 AM
Originally posted by Lynxfx

I'll pass.

I think the reason for the cell shading is to maintain the comic book atmosphere.

LynxFX
05-24-2002, 10:50 AM
Originally posted by JJaX

I think the reason for the cell shading is to maintain the comic book atmosphere.

That may be, but it doesn't change the fact that it looks like crap. ;) :)

JJaX
05-24-2002, 10:55 AM

That may be, but it doesn't change the fact that it looks like crap. ;) :)

Yeah cell shading is kinda lame. At least we know were gonna get a nice frame rate ;)

l Maximus l
05-24-2002, 10:56 AM
You know, I'm not a huge fan of cell shading either, but, I think I'll check out this game anyway since I'm a die hard fan of FPSs! :D

The description of the game sounds sweet! Sneaking up behind people and putting them in a choke hold? Damn! I love it!

I'll atleast rent it first before I buy only because of the cell shading issue. It could end up being a bad ass game, though...I hope their's some cartoon blood :D

Xtopia
05-24-2002, 11:00 AM

I'll pass.

I used to HATE cell shaded graphics...then I played JSRF. Now I kinda like them!

But yes, I agreee, I would prefer if the used "normal" graphics

l Maximus l
05-24-2002, 11:03 AM
Originally posted by Xtopia

I used to HATE cell shaded graphics...then I played JSRF. Now I kinda like them!

But yes, I agreee, I would prefer if the used "normal" graphics

You know, I got my first demo disc from my OXM description...it's the one with the JSRF demo on it...this game is a little better than I thought! I don't know if it's quite for me, though...but, I will say it's pretty cool. It's a little corny at times, but, that may be because of my age....but, I will say the game looked nice and played nice. So, with that said, I think that XIII may have some good potential regardless of the cell-shading...I'm keeping my mind open for this game at the moment :D

JJaX
05-24-2002, 11:05 AM
Originally posted by Maximus

You know, I got my first demo disc from my OXM description...it's the one with the JSRF demo on it...this game is a little better than I thought! I don't know if it's quite for me, though...but, I will say it's pretty cool. It's a little corny at times, but, that may be because of my age....but, I will say the game looked nice and played nice. So, with that said, I think that XIII may have some good potential regardless of the cell-shading...I'm keeping my mind open for this game at the moment :D

Thats why i didnt get JSRF. I admit JSR on DC was corny as well. But i toughed it out and beat it. But it left a bad taste in my mouth.

"A YO TOKOYO! LETS DO DIS KIH!"

RadRider
05-24-2002, 11:05 AM
I loved cel chaded graphics in Looney Tunes Space Race and Jet Grind Radio. Then I played Jet Grind more and more, and the flaws in that game stood out like a sore thumb. And since then, every game I've seen with cel shaded graphics has used that technique as a selling point, rather than implementing fun or original gameplay. Plus, now I just think cel shading looks retarded, like everyone else does. But, this game could still be cool. Does anybody remember Lucasart's Outlaws? That was cel shaded somewhat.

dougi3000
05-24-2002, 11:06 AM
dont diss a game because it is cel shaded, you didnt even play it yet!

I dont really care if it was cel shaded or not, as long as it is a good game, it is a good game.

I wish Sega didnt give in to all those morons that complained "HOTD was a POS cel shaded", Sega had a vision for a cel shaded HOTD, and you guys ruined it!!!!!!!!!

LynxFX
05-24-2002, 11:08 AM
I think part of the problem isn't because it is using cell shading but because it is using realistic locations and characters. It is like taking a game like Medal of Honor and making it cell shaded. This makes the game look like it is using graphics from 1994.

The only cell shaded games I'll play are cartoon based ones.

Spaztic
05-24-2002, 11:16 AM
cell shading = lazy programmers.

I own JSRF, it was cool at first, then it got more and more annoying so I returned it. I will never buy a cell shaded game again, they suck!

cornflake
05-24-2002, 11:22 AM
cell shading takes alot of work i beleive

cornflake
05-24-2002, 11:24 AM
and btw it sounds cool, but cel shading makes it look stupid

Slacker
05-24-2002, 12:30 PM
the first pics I saw of this , I thought it looked stupid , but Now the ones posted look alot better than the ones I saw, Cel shading is alright ,,,,, it looks better than the new Zelda with its Warner borther, elmer fudd graphics ,,,,

Spaztic
05-24-2002, 04:02 PM
dude I am positive cell shading is easier to program! There isn't even half the detail involved in cell shaded games!

RadRider
05-24-2002, 04:09 PM
Cel shaded games use lower polygon models, generally at least. (Gun Valkyrie is cel shaded though, it's got high detail)

But did you ever think that cel shading actually is a different technique? It's not like developers just make low poly models, and if they're low poly enough, they just turn cel shaded. It's more that the cel-shading takes up a fair amount of graphical processing time, and the more complex the environments and models, the slower the game will run. So, simpler poly models make it easier to incorporate cel shading.

So, like cornflake said, cel shading actually is harder to incorporate. Think of it as adding another reflective layer on everything in the game - only it doesn't hit the graphical processor so hard.

melon
05-24-2002, 06:22 PM
well i think it looks great for a cell shaded game...we will see companies start coming out with these types of games now..sega was the first with jet grind radio for dreamcast

cornflake
05-24-2002, 06:41 PM
Originally posted by RadRider
Cel shaded games use lower polygon models, generally at least. (Gun Valkyrie is cel shaded though, it's got high detail)

But did you ever think that cel shading actually is a different technique? It's not like developers just make low poly models, and if they're low poly enough, they just turn cel shaded. It's more that the cel-shading takes up a fair amount of graphical processing time, and the more complex the environments and models, the slower the game will run. So, simpler poly models make it easier to incorporate cel shading.

So, like cornflake said, cel shading actually is harder to incorporate. Think of it as adding another reflective layer on everything in the game - only it doesn't hit the graphical processor so hard.

muhahaha

VeNoMiZA
05-24-2002, 06:45 PM
this game better have a ton of blood in it becuzz if it dosnt it will indeed suck my **** :(

kornavs19
05-24-2002, 06:52 PM
man this game sounds crazy, nice find.... Dispite the cell shaded its still sounds hot..... It would be so much better in real graphics, maybe even a must buy, how realistic everything is (breaking a bottle,throwin peices of glass, chokehold,hostage,body hiding)
thats all real life stuff,its not one of those games like, yea i wish i could really do that..... Sounds cool, definately a renter.....:)

Hugh_Jass
05-25-2002, 12:07 AM
I think the game looks great and sounds better. It's a game that emphasizes stealth over firepower. It's kind of like the anti-Serious Sam.