PDA

View Full Version : Whats so bad about ports?

EHWfedPres
05-25-2002, 04:12 PM
I dont see why everyone hates ports so much...just as long as we get the game, it's fine by me. I dont see why people get so mad when they hear a game is being ported from one system to the Xbox. Just think, as long as you get to play it on Xbox, it's fine.

Purpose of this post = I dont know

Please reply with your thoughts

wweomaniac
05-25-2002, 04:20 PM
don't ask me. I guess its just preference of what system its made one.

I heard it was a lot easier to make games on xbox... rather then on ps2. The graphics change a bit...

i guess people who own consoles would rather just have their own version of the game.

dougi3000
05-25-2002, 04:27 PM
because they dont want an ugly AND late port of the same game. If people want to play that game so much, they should just buy it on the system. Being 6months late with a port doesnt sell well, unless no one ever played it on the other console or there are enough bonuses to justify another purchase of the same game.

MixMasta
05-25-2002, 05:22 PM
ports dont show what the xbox can do!!! why do we want lame ps2 quality a month late????? if they made it xbox quality it would be good but they dont cough*ea*cough

Marc
05-25-2002, 05:24 PM
If a game is ported to the xbox from the PS2, it won't look as good as it could unless the developers take extra time to upgrade the xbox version. It takes too damn long and xbox gets the games late. If they aren't late, they look like a pile of dog crap. If a game is ported to the PS2 from the xbox, it will look better on xbox, but you don't have to upgrade the graphics. It will look worse on PS2, but that is because PS2, the so-called winner of the console war, is inferior to the xbox.

Kortiz
05-25-2002, 06:04 PM
what is funny to me is that, Xbox gets ports from other systems, that are better in graphics, never worse than, have extra content blah blah blah, YET that is bad?

and then we get some other fanboys talking about RE, WHICH IS FRIGGEN A REMAKE FROM A 5 YEAROLD game that came from PS1.....and that is SOOOOO SOOOO SOOOO SOOOO SOOOO GOOOOOOOD,

bah, i see what ur saying and it gets me all riled up, this example was brought to my attention on another board that i visit. never thought about it like that, NAH MEAN?

Marc
05-25-2002, 06:15 PM
The fact that they are usually LATE is what bugs me. If they are all like Spiderman it would be no problem. Spiderman came out the same time for all consoles and the xbox version is clearly superior. It always isn't like that, though. Take Splashdown. It is being reworked now. It was released on PS2 months ago. We are having to wait. I know Splashdown isn't all that, but it is the principal of the thing.

PROUDXBOXOWNER
05-25-2002, 06:21 PM
frankly i am ok with ports.as long as i get to play those bastards hot titles i am happy.

wweomaniac
05-25-2002, 06:27 PM
the grphx are still actually better on ports. XBOX has full screen antialiasing and better resolution. So of course itll look better on xbox. I don't know why so many people care aboot the port issue.

And of course EA is going to make ports. So what? Their games are really nice anyways. Cept for NBA Live...

BCan
05-25-2002, 08:06 PM
In general, with ports, if it is coming from another console, it means the game was based on a lower spec machine. He was preferrring if the game is based on the XBOX, so that they can take advantage of all of it's technological superiority, rather than bring a game up to standard.

EHWfedPres
05-25-2002, 10:08 PM
Originally posted by MixMasta
ports dont show what the xbox can do!!!

Last time I checked, people dont buy games to know what a system can do. If you want to know what it can do, read the secs chart. If you want to play a game, PLAY IT, because thats all games are for, to be played.

MerimacHamwich
05-25-2002, 11:30 PM
But why settle for less is what he is trying to get across. With a direct port a game from ps2 to xbox isnt all it could be. It's like settling for a pinto when you could have ferrari. Direct ports dont do the xbox justice. I mean if ou want another group of gamers to buy the game then at least give them what they want... i mean god, dont be soo greedy that you dont even beef up the graphics. Probably one of the only good ports was tony hawk 2 for dreamcast. They made it look hella better and added more stuff. Think about it, do you want a pinto? Or do you want a ferrari? why settle for less?

OEM Alien
05-25-2002, 11:41 PM
Originally posted by EHWfedPres
I dont see why everyone hates ports so much...just as long as we get the game, it's fine by me. I dont see why people get so mad when they hear a game is being ported from one system to the Xbox. Just think, as long as you get to play it on Xbox, it's fine.

Purpose of this post = I dont know

Please reply with your thoughts the reason ports suck is because they are made for an inferior system FIRST and then translated over to superior xbox technology. therefore we as xbox owners just get a watered down version of something that could be 100 times better. plus alot of people own both or more than 1 system, and when they have already played the game before, there is no reason to buy it again on xbox after it's been ported.
but ports are better than nothing, and most ports that come to xbox are better than the original. but it still sucks that the conpanies don't make the games for xbox FIRST and then tone it down (so to speak) to port it over to an inferior machine like the ps2 or gc. that makes more sense and would be better for everyone, for everyone would get what they paid for if they did it this way.

Rowdie
05-26-2002, 02:29 AM
It's one thing to get ported down, think Box to PS2. It's a whole differnet animal to get ported up, think anything to the Box. When games get ported up they never seem to take advantage of the more powerful hardware and it shows.

Plus, you don't buy the most expensive, most powerful, most impressive hardware to play ports.

Keep you stink'n ports and give me a game built from the ground up for the Box and port that sucker down to the other systems if you really want. :cool:

sinizuh
05-26-2002, 03:01 AM
If the game is a best seller, it should be ported... but the only good ports are the ones that have updated graphics and more "goodies"...

just look at MGS2: Substance... Konami said that it'll be like MGS2 at 100% what they wanted... while the original MGS2 was only 70%...

If it's a million seller and it's updated, then it's a good port.