PDA

View Full Version : Should Microsoft drop their price for the XBOX to $149 to compete with the Gamecube?

Superman2002
05-27-2002, 01:39 PM
To be frank, I think Microsoft should lower the price on the XBOX. After Nintendo announced their price drop @ E3 I'm pretty sure Sony is right behind them.

robnyack
05-27-2002, 01:40 PM
no. they are already outdoing GC, so why bother?

Crazy Joe
05-27-2002, 01:41 PM
if they did, they would see a HUGE boost in sales, but I don't know if it is too smart financially, they can take the hit, but they do want to MAKE money here

FlyBoy
05-27-2002, 01:47 PM
They were already losing money on the consoles @ 300 bucks... 150 would be downright crazy. It won't happen (not anytime soon anyway).:cool:

Knight
05-27-2002, 02:16 PM
Yes they should that way they can put nintendo in a world of hurt!! nintendo wound then be force to lower price of that thing and lose money!!

CoMATOSE
05-27-2002, 03:05 PM
when the xbox cost £300 in the UK, MS lost £150 on every unit sold, its not gonna cost $150 any time soon.....

Alien
05-27-2002, 03:28 PM
No, the Xbox is too nice to be $150.

CoMATOSE
05-27-2002, 03:41 PM
Originally posted by SteelViper
No, the Xbox is too nice to be $150.

lol....yeah not like sum other cheap h..err well:D

Kortiz
05-27-2002, 04:46 PM
Xbox was losing money with every purchase of a box even at 299, you know they are losing more at 199.

the xbox is doing fine at 199, it will be a year or so before xbox lowers their price again, or at least i would think it would be longer then a year or so...nahmean?

Xbox Owner
05-27-2002, 04:47 PM
If they did, they would just really be completing with ps2, cause it's already beating gamecube.

El Gaucho Goof
05-27-2002, 04:52 PM
Originally posted by XBox Owner
If they did, they would just really be completing with ps2, cause it's already beating gamecube.

This is the same GameCube that is outselling the Xbox in the USA and Japan. No, it can't be the same GC because that one has almost 2million units over the Xbox. I guess there is another GC we don't know about.

Xbox Owner
05-27-2002, 04:55 PM
Originally posted by El Gaucho Goof

This is the same GameCube that is outselling the Xbox in the USA and Japan. No, it can't be the same GC because that one has almost 2million units over the Xbox. I guess there is another GC we don't know about.

Is it really? I mean, I knew X-Box wasn't doing that great in sales, but...:confused:

Azazel
05-27-2002, 06:34 PM
Originally posted by Superman2002
To be frank, I think Microsoft should lower the price on the XBOX. After Nintendo announced their price drop @ E3 I'm pretty sure Sony is right behind them.

Dumbest idea ever!

Marc
05-27-2002, 06:39 PM
I have to agree with Azazel on this one...

Xbox Owner
05-27-2002, 06:41 PM
If they do anything, I want them to lower their games!

silvertrace
05-27-2002, 07:28 PM
being able to purchase an xbox for $199 is a great deal, $149 is just ludicrous:eek:

everyone knows M$ is losing money on the console, but the real profit is in the software, so the more games they sell, the more money they will make...........which is why they dropped the price from $299 to $199 to begin with, the idea of them dropping it again to rival the lamecube is just stupid..........people were getting their moneys worth when xbox was $299, paying $149 would be high-way robbery:rolleyes:

CodeMonkey
05-27-2002, 07:39 PM
If MS reduced the price again, i think many critics would see it as a sign of fear. I think the best thing they should do is reduce their game price. Not by much, but enough to make a difference. I mean its ok having a cheap console, but not so good buying expensive games for it…

Plus if u compare the build quality of all three consoles, it would be an insult for the Xbox to be in the same price range

Just MO

Hickboy
05-27-2002, 07:45 PM
Honestly I don't think PS2 and Xbox are in the same league as GC. What i mean is I think the price wars and whatnot are more against Sony and M.S. I honestly think Gamecube is just kinda on the side. There games aren't in the same line as PS2 and Xbox. Xbox would only be competing with GC if they tried to shoot for a younger audience and had more cartoonish less graphic realistic type games.

I dunno if this makes sense but i'm tired, makes sense to me ;).

dave_m123
05-27-2002, 07:49 PM
LOL if the price was is to continute by prices constantly falling then you will see the console makers make deals with cereal makers and we will see them in packets of cornflakes :D

CodeMonkey
05-27-2002, 07:59 PM
Originally posted by dave_m123
LOL if the price was is to continute by prices constantly falling then you will see the console makers make deals with cereal makers and we will see them in packets of cornflakes :D

LOL nice

Buy one get one FREE

GRAVEDIGGER
05-27-2002, 08:13 PM
Originally posted by El Gaucho Goof

??...Any Proof(reputable) of this so-called beating that were getting from Nintendo?

Untill next time...:mad:

faceoff508
05-27-2002, 08:15 PM
It wont be a smart move, but might help them sell some units!!

CodeMonkey
05-27-2002, 08:22 PM
Originally posted by faceoff508
It wont be a smart move, but might help them sell some units!!

Yea what u are saying is true, but in the long term i just think it will cause the price to go up in other areas of the console

MO

Marc
05-27-2002, 09:03 PM
$199 is a steal anyways...

El Gaucho Goof
05-27-2002, 10:20 PM
Originally posted by GRAVEDIGGER

??...Any Proof(reputable) of this so-called beating that were getting from Nintendo?

Untill next time...:mad:

Well, if you can find a link that states MS sold more than 3 million units. We are in business.

These is straight from the horses' mouth which says it sold a combine totat of 3.8 million between Japan and North America not counting the European or Australian market. You will have to scroll down in the article, it's right under Mario and Zelda the savors or something like that.

Nintendo said it sold a combined 3.8 million GameCubes in Japan and the United States last business year after the machine hit the market in September and November respectively.

http://n-philes.com/php/epkkvefyulfkupefzfe.php

xtreme
05-28-2002, 12:57 AM
if they did dropp prices i would say they do it around the
hoilday season
more people still buy at that time of the year

just a thought
i bought mine when it came out so
i dont have to worry

im a happy camper

l Maximus l
05-28-2002, 01:04 AM
If you ask me, $199, the current price, is a steal. I mean, just for the DVD portion of the XBox is worth $199 let alone having the ability to play the most innovative games on the planet!!!:eek:

RadRider
05-28-2002, 01:07 AM
IF Microsoft dropped the price of the Xbox, then Sony would likely also drop the price of the PS2, in which case all systems would be equally priced again. At that point, Nintendo may or may not drop the price of the GameCube again.
Either way, every company would stand to lose significant amounts of money on the consoles - possibly even so much that game sales can't put them into the black.. well, except for Sony.

I personally stand in xtreme's boat. I got mine at launch, so what do I care?

Hugh_Jass
05-28-2002, 12:17 PM
I'm sure Microsoft has a team of sales and marketing experts that will determine the date of the next price drop. I'll leave the pricing strategy to them.

If you make the units too cheap people won't value them as much. Look at how people perceive the Game Cube. It's cheaper than the other consoles and always has been. Why? The natural conclusion is that it cannot compete against PS2 and XBOX at the same price point. Is that how you want people to think of the XBOX?

knns
05-28-2002, 06:10 PM
OVIOUSLY THE ONLY REASON GAME CUBE LOWERD THERE PRICE IS TO COMPETE WITH XBOX AND PS2. I AM PREETY SURE PS2 WON'T GO DOWN TO 150 ANY TIME SOON AND NEITHER IS XBOX. I DOUT THE PRICE DROP OF GAME CUBE WILL HELP IT MUCH. SINCE PEOPLE WERE ALREADY BUYING THE OTHER SYSTEMS.

OEM Alien
05-28-2002, 07:08 PM
Originally posted by Superman2002
To be frank, I think Microsoft should lower the price on the XBOX. After Nintendo announced their price drop @ E3 I'm pretty sure Sony is right behind them. no, but when gc lowers their price... i say yes, do it then.