PDA

View Full Version : XBOX Live: Do you think it will sink like Sega.net did with the Dreamcast?

Superman2002
05-27-2002, 02:03 PM
What do you think?

Dre
05-27-2002, 02:06 PM
It will succeed as long as MS makes sure there are titles coming out for the service.

RadRider
05-27-2002, 02:15 PM
Microsoft is pouring over $2 billion into the whole sennanigans. Although the Dreamcast included a modem with the dreamcast, online play was still laggy because it catered to the dial-up crowd (pretty much only), and pricing was never set in stone; it sort of varied.

With the Xbox, everyone is garanteed fast, solid internet play, plus a wholly unique experience. Nowhere else does everybody have a headset, so that you can literally trash talk your opponents. Even though the Dreamcast had a microphone, Sega basically used it for just one game, totally skipping out on the huge potential for multiplayer games.

Plus, the library of Xbox games that will be online is already double of what the Dreamcast had, and online hasn't launched yet! Not to mention that consoles are finally ready for online. Sega brought out online when the PS1 and N64 were still tops - obviously people didn't care about online then, since neither of the two better selling consoles were online. But now, Sony is pushing online, and everybody likes Sony. The fact that Microsoft is putting a heck of a lot more into creating a fast, secure and fun online gaming experience, pretty much ensures that it won't fail. At the very least, it won't fail to the extent that Sega's online plans did.

E-Xbox
05-27-2002, 02:42 PM
no...
its made by m$
the games....
the communicator thing...
the broadband instead of aeroband...

peace

Scarlet Spider
05-27-2002, 05:31 PM
totaly, M$ has the bucks to keep it from totaly sinking, the onlything that would cause it to go down is if no one buys it, but im sure alot of people would

Kortiz
05-27-2002, 06:12 PM
neither MS/Sony/Nintendo are going to do well online in the near future. maybe later it will. MS is putting in so much money, and yet they are only charging 50 bucks....per customer. They would have to sell 4million of these things to break even.

Sony and Nintendo are not going to make any money either, Sony is at a big advantage as even 10% of the people to get in on this online thing they would be ok, but no profit

Nintendo is set around kiddy games, know what this means? kids play this, although the average player is 23, the majority of the players is younger and dont even know what the internet is about let along playing it on a console.

MS is at an advantage too, they got so many hookups around the world it isnt funny. and also, 2 billion is petty cash to MS, they donate that much to charity each year.

but profit....i dont see profit from the internet play.

but....
for some reason i dont see this as the main objective to the online play. Online play as im sure MS/Sony/N have noticed isnt going to make them money(even i figured that) so they must be setting this up for the future, from here on consoles will be online ready no matter what, also i think that this online ambition going on around the console world is to try and boost the sales of their console. this is common knowledge though......which brings to mind WHY DID YOU MAKE THIS THREAD, none of the businesses are going to profit off of this online thing. at least not now anyway.

there im dont rambling (i gotta work on that)

DARKKNIGHT[U.K]
05-27-2002, 06:24 PM
No way man 36k vs broadband???say no more

Marc
05-27-2002, 06:41 PM
Xbox live will rule the world...

silvertrace
05-27-2002, 07:22 PM
xboxlive will be a success, but the only thing that i worry about is there aren't as many broadband users as some believe.........:(

i have broadband and totally intend on getting xbl, but there are some that don't have the service in their area, or don't wanna pay for a broadband connection AND the cost of xbl(even tho its a sweet startup deal, 50 bucks for 1 year, 1 headset, 1 game)

so i guess we have to wait and see, but i believe the response will change console gaming forever..............M$ doesn't fail to often:cool:

GRAVEDIGGER
05-27-2002, 08:30 PM
Though we dont wanna face such truths, there is a possibility it might fail, but with Broadband that possibility is dampened almost to nothing. So i think Mircrosoft will succede on good grounds. And even though Sega was not 100% successfull with their efforts, they did open the flood gates to venture for success.

Untill next time...:mad:

CodeMonkey
05-27-2002, 08:35 PM
Originally posted by GRAVEDIGGER
Though we dont wanna face such truths, there is a possibility it might fail, but with Broadband that possibility is dampened almost to nothing. So i think Mircrosoft will succede on good grounds. And even though Sega was not 100% successfull with their efforts, they did open the flood gates to venture for success.

Untill next time...:mad:

very true
Sega was just ahead of its time... MS have there timing perfect

IMO

dave_m123
05-27-2002, 08:45 PM
If done well and has the support then yeah it will take of. I think thats why othe companies have failed before and why MS will succeed

PSYCH0 GUY
05-27-2002, 08:46 PM
i don't know if it'll succeed. they got gamespy arcade doin x box stuff online at no charge. it would make it hard for xboxlive to survive

MOrgE
05-28-2002, 06:54 AM
Originally posted by PSYCH0 GUY
i don't know if it'll succeed. they got gamespy arcade doin x box stuff online at no charge. it would make it hard for xboxlive to survive

gamespy doesn't come with the XBOX communicator....
nor does it provide online updates to games....

i think XBOX live with survive....
especially with the release of those multiplayer games that everyone just loves i.e.) Counterstrike, Halo, all the Tom Clancy ones...

DARKKNIGHT[U.K]
05-28-2002, 11:35 AM
is halo online???my game is just link up in the U.K anyway.

Hugh_Jass
05-28-2002, 12:32 PM
Sega was ahead of its time. MS has perfect timing. Obviously, Sony and Nintendo agree since they are trying to play catch-up. XBOX Live will be a huge success.

dougi3000
05-28-2002, 01:03 PM
ehh.. you cant compare those 2.
Sega.net has almost no games running on it. Most of it was just online stats. The only game that people played on it was Phantasy Star Online, when they wanted a subscription charge, people wont pay it for just one game.

And of course the broadband adapter was impossible to get a hold of. And only 1 game ever used broadband adapter. And the modem sucked, since I dont have a dial up account.

so.. sega.net had virtually no games, and the developers wont develop for it, and if they did, they only did the dial up stats, and broadband adpater was impossible to find.

I think MS has covered all the online blunders Sega.net made, and all online blunders that all consoles made.

Sony and Nintendo goes the way of the PC.. the games are all for themselves, if something screws up online, blame the developers, not the system.

Xbox Owner
05-28-2002, 02:11 PM
Originally posted by E-Xbox
no...
its made by m$
the games....
the communicator thing...
the broadband instead of aeroband...

peace

i agree...lol, i pressed the "Yes. Why?" button, because i thot the question was do u think it will do good..hehe

robnyack
05-28-2002, 08:48 PM
To guarentee that Xbox LIVE will succeed is thinking more with your heart than with your head. I am psyched for Live, but anyone who is realistic will see that no one.....and I mean no one, has been able to succeed in this kind of endevor so far. So, with a track record of 0%, even the most rosey forcasters have to consider the possibility that this could flop with the rest of them.

EA.com, sega.net....bomb....bomb.

There was a poll out about a month ago that polled internet users and what they were willing to open up their wallets for, in terms of the internet, and only a very small fraction said they were willing to pay subscription fees for virtually any kind of site you could think of. Gaming sites, music sites, auction sites, right on down the list.

The one bright spot in that poll....gaming sites did stand out with the highest % as the type of site that most would pay subcription fees for. But, still, it was a very small %. Something like 12%.

But, MS are not dummies. I don't think I would be shocking them with this news. I'm sure they are well aware of these attitudes. The one way they can change that.....offer something so different and so heads above anything else that has been offered in the online gaming arena that you change attitudes. You need to get all those gamers that refused to sign up for EA.com games to look at xbox live and think "wow, now THAT I would sign up for!"

And I think they have a chance to pull that off. I think they are offering something that could be of the likes we have not seen before on the internet. And it all starts with broadband.

I can't wait for xbox LIVE. However, I am aware that it could flop, and there are always the MS-hater crowd out there (which includes many in the media crowd) who will be waiting to pounce at the first sign of blood. So, nothing is guarenteed.

stingu
05-28-2002, 09:34 PM
Come on, now. Microsoft knows fully well all of the prior failures -- Sega net/EA.com. They know exactly what they are getting into and they believe it is going to work. I'm sure they've done their homework.

Now, I think that yeah most people don't have broadband. But you know what -- It's growing everyday. The number of people subscribing to broadband is more than the number on dial up. Microsoft will grow with the numbers.

And I also think everyone will be surprised at the number of people on XBox Live by mid next year!! I'll be one of them!

X-Ray
05-29-2002, 12:38 AM
It will succeed. It needs to have a price that isn't so high that only the hardest core gamers are on and high enough to keep punk kids off. So far I think they're on track.