PDA

View Full Version : XBox needs to get on the ball here

Ghost1
05-27-2002, 10:00 PM
i went and i bought an xbox because of the expectation that i hold on it. now im a big RPG fan and i am yet to see a RPG that i would like to play. now i dont like they "you can do millions of things" games. i like games with a good story line, and i think other people do too.for example, look at the company Squaresoft. so far i think they have the best rpg games (the final fantasies and the Chrono's). they all have a fixed story line, that almost acts like an interative book. i dont want to go talk to my friend who plays that same game i do and we some how have different story. i say we need more "fixed" story line, like a movie along with pleasurable graphics and less of the "you can do a million things". i dont like those games at all. i think XBox needs to bribe squaresoft or like give em candy or somthing. well ive had my 15 minutes, i dont think anybody gives a crap, but oh well, only trying to give them a few tips.

Alien
05-27-2002, 11:12 PM
Welcome to XBA.
Following a certain path in a game makes it less interesting though, it's like no matter what happens, your still going to have to do this one thing and that other thing. With games like Morrowind, you can do whatever you please, and make little detours in your missions and stuff. This is just my opinion though.

RadRider
05-27-2002, 11:28 PM
You're in luck with Morrowind, because Morrowind has a very deep, interesting storyline. The great thing is, The developers think you're smart enough to figure it out on your own, rather than force you to sit through every boring cutscene they spent millions of dollars on, over actually making a game (ie. Squaresoft). In Morrowind, the storyline evolves in a sort of "detective" manner. You can talk to people, find books, witness events, find journals, and even find objects through which to talk to gods: these things each come together to give you the full story. It does take some brains, and a little work, but the story is already more than interesting enough, and I've barely even dug into it! At the very least, you owe it to Bethesda to rent Morrowind; not only because it will be an excellent game, but because they respect you enough to not force you to sit through their ill-concieved cutscenes and cliched story. (Both of which Morrowind doesn't contain)

Ghost1
05-28-2002, 08:50 AM
dont get me wrong, ive looked at morrowind and heck im going to buy it. but ive been looking to see if they are making any turnbased battles type rpgs and they just seem to be non-existant. i like those type of games because they are like a book to me. like going to the movies. and if its good enough ill play it over and over again. the storyline dosent just have to plop itself right down infront of you either. if anybody has played Xenogears in here before, i didnt figure out the true storyline until i beat it and put everything together. i was guessing the whole time. so you see those fixed storylines do have something to them. adn when i say those "i can do a million things" i mean like games that in fact have no story line. they just kindof sit you in there and say "go". in other words, project ego, morrowind, and those type of gamesare in a different catagory.

RadRider
05-28-2002, 01:45 PM
I don't think [I've] seen an RPG with no story line then. Do you have any examples?
All I can really say is, you bought the wrong console if you want turn based, FF style RPG's. The Xbox is about bringing new types of games to people, more interactive, groundbreaking and enjoyable games. The PS2 has a ton of those old-style RPG's, so you might like that system better. That being said, there are a few [RPG]'s like that coming to Xbox. Games like Gladius and Dragonkind use the old standard from RPG's.

Personally, I can't see how anyone could stand to play such games. I liked Dragon Warrior 3 and Final Fantasy 1, because they were the first games of that type I played. But, when every new iteration was the exact same thing, I grew tired real fast. That's when I moved onto "real" RPG's like Morrowind and Project Ego, Role Playing Games where you actually play a role, not just take control of some characters the developers give you, then do exactly what they want you to do, so that you can uncover more of their story.

SkoalMint
05-28-2002, 03:01 PM
Excellent points RadRider and I agree with them all. I think the difference boils down to would you rather watch a movie/read a book or would you rather star in a movie/be the hero in a book? Personally, I would rather do the latter. However, I can see where some would choose the former.

Ghost, I think you selling the potential short. I think it will be quite enjoyable to discuss a game like Morrowind with a friend. The differences in the two stories will add a lot of fun to your gaming experiences ("wow, I didn't know you could do that" or "I can't wait to try that"). As opposed to "Hey, did you beat that chain-saw weilding, pyramid head, psycho, ninja, skeleton with the Kung-Fu death grip guy?" "No not yet, he is kicking my butt and I can't do anything else until I beat him."

As far as storyline, while I have not played ES1 or ES2, I do understand that there is a tremendous amount of story involved in ES3. Some of the stuff I have read has indicated that there are novels worth of story in the game.

I also am not real big on turn-based combat. Personally, I get more of an adrenaline rush from real-time.

Great topic Ghost. Something definitely worth debating. Welcome to XBA. :)

RadRider
05-28-2002, 04:48 PM
I read that Morrowind has about 6 full novels worth of text in the game. I think that's full sized novels, like several hundred to possibly several thousand pages each.

I know I've come across some books in Morrowind that exceed 50 pages. That's crazy!

--edit--
Thanks SkoalMint!

jspike
05-28-2002, 10:45 PM
Morrowind is a great game and if they ever release it for xbox i might be able to play it.