PDA

View Full Version : 16x9 question

Capt Marvel
05-29-2002, 12:40 PM
Kinda dumb but oh well

Can you run a game in 16x9 with a 4/3 tv set...I think you should be able to . After all my dvds movies run that way. So far I have had no luck.

tried with DOA3

Any help would be great.. Or just tell me no.

l Maximus l
05-29-2002, 12:44 PM
I don't see why you couldn't. All you would have to do is go to your XBox menu (turn the XBox on without a game in it and go to the video options section). But, I can't say I've tried it since I have a Widescreen HDTV.

Personally, I recommend using the normal view if you have a tube or a square TV. But, if you get an HDTV, then, definately go with the Widescreen...it's awesome!! :D

LynxFX
05-29-2002, 12:47 PM
I believe to get a 16x9 image on a 4x3 screen with the xbox you need to select "letterbox" from the dashboard settings. I'm not positive. I will try when I get home for lunch though.

Xtopia
05-29-2002, 12:49 PM
Please do, Lynxfx. I have a 4/3 tv. And I was wondering the same thing...

Dre
05-29-2002, 12:53 PM
It only works on games that support the feature. The xbox does not force games into the aspect ratio. For example, when I put it in letterbox, I can play Azurik in widescreen but not Halo or DoA3.

l Maximus l
05-29-2002, 12:55 PM
Originally posted by Dre
It only works on games that support the feature. The xbox does not force games into the aspect ratio. For example, when I put it in letterbox, I can play Azurik in widescreen but not Halo or DoA3.

My HDTV actually stretches Halo...it actually doesn't look bad at all...in fact, I actually prefer it :D

LynxFX
05-29-2002, 12:55 PM
That's interesting Dre because DOA3 is a widescreen title.

I'll try it out with DOA3 and Amped, both 16x9 titles. I've never tried before because I've always selected 'widescreen' to go through my projector and just left it when I played on the regular tv.

Capt Marvel
05-29-2002, 01:59 PM
I can tell you I have tried with DOA3 it does not work.

Yes the DB is set to 16x9 but still no luck.

I called tech support at MS and they said no you can run any game in 16x9 unless you TV is 16x9.. I did'nt believe them..

I will try Amped when I get home....I might rent Azurik to see.

What should I look for on the game case. Clearly if the game says 16x9 it does not mean it will work on a 4/3 tv. Dre can you look at your Azurik case and see if it notes something different than say DoA3

thx

LynxFX
05-29-2002, 02:14 PM
Tried it. Doesn't work with DOA3 or Amped.

Dre, did Azurik really give you black bars on the top and bottom?

CALzinger
05-29-2002, 07:19 PM
ha, dont know...

Dre
05-29-2002, 07:34 PM
Nothing different on the Azurik box.., I just checked. And ya Lynxfx, there were black bars when I enabled the xbox letterbox setting.

DBXNY
05-29-2002, 11:07 PM
Originally posted by Capt Marvel
I can tell you I have tried with DOA3 it does not work.

Yes the DB is set to 16x9 but still no luck.

I called tech support at MS and they said no you can run any game in 16x9 unless you TV is 16x9.. I did'nt believe them..

I will try Amped when I get home....I might rent Azurik to see.

What should I look for on the game case. Clearly if the game says 16x9 it does not mean it will work on a 4/3 tv. Dre can you look at your Azurik case and see if it notes something different than say DoA3

thx

I would look for parts of the image to be squished or some of the sides cropped off. You can tell the effect just from the dashboard. Just set it to widescreen mode, you'll notice the menu being a bit scrunched inwards. This is so when it's viewed on a Widescreen TV set in normal (or widescreen) mode, the graphics and text will appear normal.

Haven't you noticed this affect when playing back anamorphic widescreen DVDs (which are most of them) on your 4:3 TV? Or is your TV a fairly recent one with an "anamorphic squeeze mode" - in which case, if enabled, your dvds should appear correctly.

DB:)

Capt Marvel
05-30-2002, 07:13 AM
NO 16x9 on 4/3 TV

Confirmed. DOA3/AMPED/HALO

I tried setting the DB to Widescreen. Same results for these games.

The DB 16x9 mode even show black bars above and below a 4/3 tv..

Rather sad... I think we should be able to choose but it appears this simple task cannot be done.

DBXNY
05-30-2002, 11:55 AM
NO 16x9 on 4/3 TV

Confirmed. DOA3/AMPED/HALO

I tried setting the DB to Widescreen. Same results for these games.

The DB 16x9 mode even show black bars above and below a 4/3 tv..

Rather sad... I think we should be able to choose but it appears this simple task cannot be done.

I didn't knw DOA3/AMPED/HALO supported widescreen at all, so I wouldn't think you'd notice a difference with those games.

Are you sure you are setting the DB to "widescreen" and not "letterbox"?

Also, why would you want to display in widescreen mode on your 4:3 TV set? If you get the setting to work, the images will just be distorted and/or cropped anyway.

Capt Marvel
05-30-2002, 12:04 PM
DOA3 says it does 16x9

Amped and Holo dont say.

Ive tried both DB setting neither changes a thing.

TO answer your last question. DOA3 is awesome in 16x9, Ive played at my buddies place. I would think that if you tell the DB to go 16x9 on 4.3 tv then it should look like a widescreen dvd movie with the black bars...I can live with that:) My TV is 54"

DBXNY
05-30-2002, 12:22 PM
DOA3 says it does 16x9

Amped and Holo dont say.

Ive tried both DB setting neither changes a thing.

TO answer your last question. DOA3 is awesome in 16x9, Ive played at my buddies place. I would think that if you tell the DB to go 16x9 on 4.3 tv then it should look like a widescreen dvd movie with the black bars...I can live with that:) My TV is 54"

DOA3 does? I didn't notice that when I owned it. Unfortunately, I traded it in so I cant try it out either.

As for your last comment, that would be the "letterbox" setting, which you should be able to use.

Capt Marvel
05-30-2002, 01:14 PM
Yes it does. Someones thread here has a link to a game Data base that lists all the games and what they support....

SkoalMint
05-30-2002, 01:21 PM
Yes it does. Someones thread here has a link to a game Data base that lists all the games and what they support....

I believe you're refering to our good friend lynxfx. The site you are referring to (which is in his signature) is High Definition Game Database...including 16x9 support (http://144.92.220.70/hdg.asp?submit=Home)

DBXNY
05-30-2002, 05:30 PM
Originally posted by SkoalMint

I believe you're refering to our good friend lynxfx. The site you are referring to (which is in his signature) is High Definition Game Database...including 16x9 support (http://144.92.220.70/hdg.asp?submit=Home)

Sorry, but that site has inaccuracies. Unless there is a more solid source proving that DOA3 doesn indeed support widescreen, I find it hard to believe.

LynxFX
05-30-2002, 06:05 PM
DOA3 has been confirmed to be 16x9 since the Xbox launch.

The site does get inaccuracies but I like the feature of adding comments to point out the bad information.

This is probably the most accurate list on the net right now and they aren't being confirmed by uninformed gamers that think that if the game fills your widescreen tv then it is indeed widescreen. Any comments like those quickly get debunked.

CALzinger
05-30-2002, 06:05 PM
i still dont get the topic of this thread :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

LynxFX
05-30-2002, 06:10 PM
Originally posted by CALzinger
i still dont get the topic of this thread :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

Then you probably don't have to worry about it. ;)