PDA

View Full Version : XBOX Add On???

faceoff508
05-29-2002, 01:50 PM
The survey, sent to registered Xbox owners, was conducted by Greenfield Online, a research firm that has worked extensively with Microsoft's MSN online service. It appears to focus on Freestyle, an extension to Microsoft's Windows XP operating system aimed at turning PCs into digital media jukeboxes, although the survey refers to the product as "NewPC."

The survey includes a number of questions about a proposed Xbox Connection Kit that would let Xbox owners use the console to remotely access MP3 music and other entertainment files stored on a PC. The kit would include software and a remote control for the Xbox that would allow people to access music files and other media via a TV screen. Owners would need to have a home networking system set up to connect the Xbox and the PC.

"The Xbox Connection Kit is an add-on for your Xbox game system," according to literature included with the survey. "With it, you can access NewPC's TV, photo and music functions from other rooms in your home."

The survey indicates Microsoft would sell the device for $29 and could have it on the market within 12 months.

A Microsoft representative confirmed the company commissioned the survey but said the Xbox product was purely hypothetical. "There's no business plan or budget plan behind it," the representative said. "This is just another examples of how the different divisions at Microsoft are looking at ways to provide consumer value to our customers."

Analysts said they were not familiar with the specific product plans but said Xbox networking makes sense as part of Microsoft's broad eHome plan to extend PC functions throughout the home. At a recent developers conference, CEO Bill Gates talked about being able to access PC files from numerous displays throughout the house, including TV sets.

"Microsoft is clearly looking at ways to extend your (Windows) XP content to the living room," Gartner research analyst P.J. McNealy said. "They've had a difficult time going through the set-top box, so this would give them another avenue."

Matt Rosoff, an analyst at research firm Directions on Microsoft, agreed that Xbox networking would fit with the company's broader eHome plan. "The drive is to make the PC more of an entertainment device experience, like using a television," he said.

The danger, Rosoff said, is that adding such functions to the Xbox could detract from Microsoft's efforts to establish the console as a valid game system capable of competing with Sony's PlayStation 2. Despite frequent speculation about the console serving as Microsoft's Trojan horse to enter the living room, Xbox executives have been adamant about the machine working exclusively as a game system.

"The people in the Xbox group have been routinely denying there are any other plans for the Xbox...but then you have Bill Gates talking about that kind of stuff," Rosoff said.

Sean Badding, an analyst with the Carmel Group, a research firm, said Microsoft is likely to bide its time before adding any nongame functions to the Xbox.

"First and foremost, they need for the Xbox to succeed in the marketplace as a gaming device, which is going to take two or three years," Badding said. "After that happens, then they can think about leveraging it for other services."

Badding added that the Xbox and Freestyle are targeted at different markets, so linking the two won't do much to help drive sales of either.

Other analysts have speculated that Microsoft will combine the Xbox with digital media functions in a single device.

Freestyle, which Gates announced early this year, is Microsoft's plan to have PCs act as central home entertainment servers. Freestyle is expected to make a modest debut late this year with Freestyle-branded PCs that will include a remote control and extra software to simplify playback of digital media.

The survey indicates Freestyle PCs will be priced around $1,500 and will have minimum hardware requirements including a 2GHz processor, 256MB of memory and a DVD drive.

-----Teamxbox

l Maximus l
05-29-2002, 01:52 PM
That's bad ass!! Now, to me, that is a worthy add-on!!!!

Scarlet Spider
05-29-2002, 01:52 PM
TOO MANY WORDS!!!!!
:eek:
i guess thats why my post count is down, cuz i dont read posts with alot of words.

Veno
05-29-2002, 01:53 PM
Not a chance, having to buy a 1500$ pc just for a crappy addon? No chance

Capt Marvel
05-29-2002, 02:02 PM
I would have to say you'll see WMA file support b4 mp3 from the MS boys .. But either or both would be great from my perspective

E-Xbox
05-29-2002, 02:26 PM
Originally posted by Maximus
That's bad ass!! Now, to me, that is a worthy add-on!!!!

i agree..
this will be one of the coolest things for a console if it comes...
just like the booster disc for doa 3 was....

peace

Spaztic
05-29-2002, 02:46 PM
holy crap a mp3 player! Who cares! I can just download new music and burn it to my harddrive! Only add on I am interested in is to be able to play svcd or divx, and have my macromedia copy protection turned off! And with the new enighma-x chip I can do that and so much more!

DrUnKtAnK
05-29-2002, 02:48 PM
I took the survey and the concept sounds damn sweet....I think this may be the step that the XBOX needs to really seperate themsevles with the GC and the PS2 to the general gaming public...

JimmieDoogan
05-29-2002, 03:31 PM
Originally posted by Veno
Not a chance, having to buy a 1500$ pc just for a crappy addon? No chance

Hmmm... well considering I already own one of those I don't think its a bad deal. Where you comin from?

MixMasta
05-29-2002, 03:37 PM
29 is a good price, and it is not vital for such things as online play cough*sony*cough

CALzinger
05-29-2002, 07:18 PM
Originally posted by Scarlet Spider
TOO MANY WORDS!!!!!
:eek:
i guess thats why my post count is down, cuz i dont read posts with alot of words.

yep, too many words is very right. good find though, i only read like the first "paragraph"

Xbox Owner
05-29-2002, 07:36 PM
I hope it comes true!! It looks so awesome!!:)

FaTBoi702
05-29-2002, 10:11 PM
then....if your comp has a dvd drive wouldnt you be able to rip dvd's?

Hugh_Jass
05-30-2002, 01:46 PM
They better make it work with any sufficiently powerful PC or I won't buy it.