PDA

View Full Version : Hardware Problem - Please Help!

tWoTOMA
05-29-2002, 02:41 PM
Last night I put Halo in and a message popped up saying that the disc is not an Xbox game, Audio CD, or DVD. I tried out all my other games and got the same message. When I put in an audio CD, it read it and began to play, but after an hour or so it wouldn't read audio CDs anymore either. I called 1.800.4MY.XBOX and they are sending me a FedEx box in which to ship my console to get repaired. They said they will fix it because it is a manufacturer's defect. Technically, because I don't have an extended warranty, I'm not supposed to get this service for free, but since it was thier fault, he said they would fix it free fo charge.
My question is have any of you had this problem and did you get it fixed by Microsoft? Also, how does it work now?

~~~~~One thing that hurts me is that if they don't fix it or give me a new one, I might pick up a PoS2. As much as I hate the graphics, sound, DVD playback, and girl-sized controller, Sony has had less hardware problems, and they have the best game of all time, Grand Theft Auto 3.~~~~~

Scarlet Spider
05-29-2002, 03:21 PM
what do you mean sony had less hardware probelms? everyone i know that had a first generation ps2 doesnt have it anymore cuz it doesnt read disks right.

but my alter ego, Twisted J, ran into the same problem a while back on his friends xbox with halo, first it said it wasnt an xbox game, dvd, or audio cd, then it said it was a dvd and he needed the playback kit, he took halo out, cleaned it with his disk cleaner, poped it back in and it worked

tWoTOMA
05-29-2002, 03:27 PM
Thanks for the suggestion, but I've cleaned all of my games and none of them work. I tried it with the playback kit in an out. Nothing works! Noooooooooooooooo!

Don't make me get PoS2!!!!!!!!!!

Casper
05-29-2002, 03:39 PM
Smacks TwoToma in the face a few times

Wake up man! You should know better than that. Just deal with being without the Xbox (I know I couldn't) and just find a friend that has one for the time being. Why bothering dropping 200 on that PoS2 when you can use it to get those games in your wanted list. Besides, it's summer and by the looks of you, you need to get out and get a tan. :D

jvpunk21
05-29-2002, 03:49 PM
PS2 is notorious for its constant hardware problems. Way more than the xbox. Not to mention every one I have played freezes up after an extended period. Nice console but not worth the hassle, not even 200 bucks, not compared to the xbox.

tWoTOMA
05-29-2002, 03:59 PM
I hate PS2 as much as the next guy, but Nintendo GC is out of the question and I'd rather not have to deal with hardware problems like this again. I'm giving MS one more chance to keep me, but if I don't get an error-free Box back in a reasonable time for free, I'm going over to Sony. Anyone else out there agree with me?

Kraft
05-29-2002, 04:03 PM
What gets me is some of the things that they do to "correct" their ps2 and ps problems. My friend had one that you had to put in the disk, then tur it so the cd tray was pointing up before it would start reading, then you could lay it back down. and his PS will only work if you set a heavy book on top of it... And we all thought that PoS was just a joke...