PDA

View Full Version : Xbox Mod-Chip On Sale

faceoff508
05-29-2002, 03:15 PM
The Xtender, a "mod chip" intended to be added to the main circuit board of the Xbox, went on sale last weekend through retailers such as Hong Kong-based Lik Sang. Three other Xbox mod chips are also in development.

Most of the mod chips promise similar functions based on disabling copy-protection features built into the Xbox. Customers are promised the ability to play games copied on recordable CD and DVD discs (and perhaps swapped as files on the Internet), play otherwise inaccessible foreign titles, and copy DVD movie discs otherwise protected by software from Macrovision.

The makers of the Xtender, the Enigma and the Messiah mod chips did not respond to e-mail requests for comment. Analysts said the chips are unlikely to promote a wave of illegal file swapping similar to the MP3 phenomenon that has polarized the music industry or to the emerging movie piracy threat.

For starters, using the mod chips requires disassembling the Xbox case and affixing the chip to the circuit board, a task that can require more than 20 soldering connections.

Here is the full article:
http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/cn/20020529/tc_cn/924666

------XBA

DrUnKtAnK
05-29-2002, 03:19 PM
Originally posted by faceoff508
....affixing the chip to the circuit board, a task that can require more than 20 soldering connections.

Here is the full article:
http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/cn/20020529/tc_cn/924666

------XBA

That just scares the hell out of me.....:confused:

faceoff508
05-29-2002, 03:22 PM
Originally posted by DrUnKtAnK

That just scares the hell out of me.....:confused:

Whats wrong with that?

Veno
05-29-2002, 03:25 PM
20 soldering connections?

faceoff508
05-29-2002, 03:25 PM
Originally posted by Veno
20 soldering connections?

And that means?

LynxFX
05-29-2002, 03:28 PM
That's alot of soldering is what he means.

Although it is better than the 30 wires of the other chip out there.

mercsix
05-29-2002, 03:30 PM
It means trying to affix over 20 small wires to various even smaller points on a board...one slip and no more XBOX.

Spaztic
05-29-2002, 03:30 PM
not that hard to do! what this article didn't mention is that the chip they have out now sucks and the enigmah-x chip is going to enable svcd, divx playback, region free, and removes macromedia as well, and of course it plays all of the games that you have bought and decided to back up since it costs to much to replace the games!

peace~

Kraft
05-29-2002, 03:31 PM
trouble with soldering: accidentall add too much flux or solder and suddenly your solder covers more than one circuit, rendering your xbox a paperweight or door stop. Or you could sear the circuit with the iron, also leaving you with an elaborate paperweight. And whats even more cool is the fact that by opening up your box to mod it, you managed to void the warrenty, so you can't exchange it. Hope you have sure hands...

mercsix
05-29-2002, 03:37 PM
I chipped my PSO and it was only 6 wires it worked but my reset button never worked again I only did it because I had my money down on an XBOX and refused to spend any more money on games for the PSO. Even then they started coming out with games the chip wouldn't work on. To me it's just not worth attempting.

Spaztic
05-29-2002, 03:38 PM
Originally posted by KraftSLU
trouble with soldering: accidentall add too much flux or solder and suddenly your solder covers more than one circuit, rendering your xbox a paperweight or door stop. Or you could sear the circuit with the iron, also leaving you with an elaborate paperweight. And whats even more cool is the fact that by opening up your box to mod it, you managed to void the warrenty, so you can't exchange it. Hope you have sure hands...

or just return it to wal-mart with no questions asked!

Kraft
05-29-2002, 03:42 PM
Originally posted by Shaggy

or just return it to wal-mart with no questions asked!

actually wal-mart is getting strict. At my local walmart you can't return items over 200 dollars without a receipt anymore. guess they are tired of getting screwed.

Snoopy7548
05-29-2002, 04:46 PM
lol, but the xbox is 199.99! just made it by 1 cent!:D

khaos2005
05-29-2002, 05:18 PM
Originally posted by Snoopy7548
lol, but the xbox is 199.99! just made it by 1 cent!:D

Haha. That's d a m n funny man.

khaos2005
05-29-2002, 05:19 PM
Then again, I'm easily amused. ;)