PDA

View Full Version : Peter Molyneux's next game - "The Movies"

Master Gracey
05-29-2002, 08:38 PM
This game's a loooong way off, but I figured I'd post it since it's a pretty cool read. :D This article is from the May 31 Entertainment Weekly (for fellow subscribers, it's on page 112 along with a cool in-game pic). It's the one with Bowie and Moby on the cover.

An Early Sneak Peek at Peter Molyneux's New Screen Gem

EW GOES TO 'THE MOVIES'

It's ironic that videogame designer Peter Molyneux, the creator of the so-called god game - in which you rule over little people from a heavenly perspective - is now planning to simulate the one place where no one likes to be controlled: Hollywood. Nevertheless, the British designer, known for last year's Black & White, is hard at work on The Movies, set for release in 2004.

Starting in the 1920s and leading up to the present day, players try to run a successful movie studio by bidding on scripts, constructing sets, and hiring talent. Once the cameras start rolling, adjustable content controls let you dictate the amount of violence, action, and romance in each film. "Basic Instinct wouldn't have gone over well with the public in the 1920s," cautions the 43-year-old Molyneux.

Players must also contend with virtual movie stars with very real egos - a few inopportune mouse clicks could lead to an actor locking himself in his trailer. If everything works out, the films might win Academy Awards. But what about smear campaigns during awards season? "Absolutely," says Molyneux. "I'm even toying with the idea of an online version where your friends play the rival studios." -----Geoff Keighley

JADE8704
05-29-2002, 08:46 PM
man...molyneux is a prodigy...this man doesn't sleep, does he? talk about an overachiver :rolleyes:

Master Gracey
05-30-2002, 12:24 AM
Originally posted by JADE8704
man...molyneux is a prodigy...this man doesn't sleep, does he? talk about an overachiver

You missed something... he's a filthy rich overachiever. :D He'll most certainly be getting some of my money once Project Ego comes out. BC looks like a winner and this next game sounds like hours of entertainment! I'm a filmmaker myself, so the prospect of getting to do it in a game is like a dream come true.

Hugh_Jass
05-30-2002, 01:55 PM
I'm a Molyneaux fan but I think I'll pass on this one. I didn't enjoy his hospital or theme park simulations and this one sounds similar.

RadRider
05-30-2002, 02:01 PM
Yeah, this one sounds like another "micro-management" game. But then again, so did BC before all the big announcements on it were made, and BC is definitely going to be a keeper. I'm sure that what Molyneux has up his sleeves for "the movies" will be much, much bigger than what he's letting us know right now.

Psychotic Bat
05-30-2002, 10:17 PM
The Movies is not headed to the Xbox at the time. It is currently only announced for the PC, and it probably wouln't work on Xbox very well anyway.

Master Gracey
03-06-2003, 07:28 PM
Hehehe... :D Thought I'd bring back this little thread now that the game's been announced for Xbox (see the article on XBA's main page). When I started it in of May last year, it was only slated for PC.

So what does everyone think of this game? I think it sounds sweet!

MerimacHamwich
03-06-2003, 08:08 PM
It sounds pretty cool but I don't know if it would be a game I would like.

Kraft
03-06-2003, 08:16 PM
Does this guy not sleep? He is now working on Fable, B.C. and this? Jeez, I figured working on ONE videogame would be daunting.

shrew king
03-06-2003, 08:23 PM
This game sounds amazing. I will be trying it as soon as possible.

ShannonX
03-06-2003, 08:28 PM
the game does sound pretty fun hopefully it will get finished in under 2 years... but i really doubt it.

MerimacHamwich
03-06-2003, 10:07 PM
Originally posted by Kraft-XBA
Does this guy not sleep? He is now working on Fable, B.C. and this? Jeez, I figured working on ONE videogame would be daunting.

He isn't doing much on all those projects. He is pretty much a superviser/consultant.

Shadow20002
03-07-2003, 10:04 AM
Originally posted by Kraft-XBA

In my way, i think when he is working on Fable and BC (still), he found a whole new idea that could make another game.

darianX
03-08-2003, 03:48 AM
He must sleep a lot...when it's all said and done, my guess is that Fable will finally be released sometime in 04, probably last quarter. And God help us all if it's as buggy as Black and White was. My boy will graduate from high school before BC and this new one comes out (he's in kindergarten) :rolleyes:

NINE BREAKER
03-09-2003, 10:55 PM
I think I'll probably check it out, it sounds "different".

Insane Jester
03-10-2003, 05:57 AM
BORING

maneatingcow
03-11-2003, 11:15 PM
Any game he attaches his name to gets a good chunk of publicity.. so I'm sure we'll see Petey's name attached to some future titles... perhaps Kabuki Warriors 2?

Master Gracey
03-11-2003, 11:19 PM
Originally posted by maneatingcow-XBA
Any game he attaches his name to gets a good chunk of publicity.. so I'm sure we'll see Petey's name attached to some future titles... perhaps Kabuki Warriors 2?

I'll be he could even turn that from crap into crisco. From **** to shineola. From cow manure into fertilizer.

Wait a moment... :confused:

thAshAdyOne
03-13-2003, 02:59 PM
next thing theres gonna be an online music industry sim!!!

Goes off to get a copyright on that idea

Xbox Owner
03-13-2003, 10:26 PM
http://image.com.com/gamespot/images/2003/news/03/11/themovies/themovies_screen003.jpg
http://image.com.com/gamespot/images/2003/news/03/11/themovies/themovies_screen005.jpg

http://image.com.com/gamespot/images/2003/news/03/11/themovies/themovies_screen004.jpg

Heh.. pretty good graphics, IMO.

http://gamespot.com/gamespot/filters/products/screenindex/0,11104,589728,00.html

Master Gracey
03-13-2003, 11:13 PM
Jeezy Creezy!!! What a sweet find! :D

Now I'm positively drooling for this game...