PDA

View Full Version : about modchips

spy_spirit
05-29-2002, 08:58 PM
Just like that, beware if U want a modchip and xbox live cuz' I think Microsoft will be able tu catch U if U have one (modchip) - plz correct me if It's wrong.

Kraft
05-29-2002, 09:11 PM
Originally posted by spy_spirit
Just like that, beware if U want a modchip and xbox live cuz' I think Microsoft will be able tu catch U if U have one (modchip) - plz correct me if It's wrong.

link? Im kinda curious as to how MS plans on doing this... Especially since if a chip is released that doesn't require 20 solders that opens up the unachieveable aspect ratio's, opens dvd regions, and whatever other cool stuff that doesn't have to do with pirating... I might mod my box... It would suck if that kept me off MS Live

Hermes
05-30-2002, 05:11 AM
Im skeptical about all this "You will be blocked from XOL" mumbo-jumbo. Don't get me wrong. I hope everyone who mods it is blocked but I don't see how it's possible. If you were trying to use a burnt game, maybe. But how would it know you modded the box?

E-Xbox
05-30-2002, 06:26 AM
im pretty sure the people who releasesed the modchips
xtender and enigmah ..have spoken about this issue
xtender has said/or has been said about...that it will not work with xbox live or some stuff
but how could they test with xbox live so early in the works?
oh well...

peace

GokuX
05-30-2002, 07:15 AM
I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss MS's abilities as far as detecting modded boxes and blocking.

Hermes
05-30-2002, 08:01 AM
Originally posted by E-Xbox
im pretty sure the people who releasesed the modchips
xtender and enigmah ..have spoken about this issue
xtender has said/or has been said about...that it will not work with xbox live or some stuff
but how could they test with xbox live so early in the works?
oh well...

peace

I think they meant that the xbox doesn't have spyware in it to report back to MS. Not that it wouldn't work with XOL.

Taranis
05-30-2002, 09:00 AM
I would think that voiding the warranty that you hopefully purchased would be reason enough not to install a mod chip.

Add to that, the fact that we all want to see Xbox survive and become the best console on the planet. Playing pirated games won't get us any closer to that goal.

I don't where the lack of morality regarding pirated software, music, etc. came from, but I think it speaks to a higher level of degradation in our society and frankly I won't be a part of it.

LynxFX
05-30-2002, 10:38 AM
Unless you got the extended warranty then your 90 days are up pretty quick and it is time to start tinkering. No worries there.

Mod chips do serve another purpose, legal purpose, and not just pirating games. Being able to play imports, or different region DVD's for one.

I would have no problem with MS blocking access to LIVE from people that are playing on a pirated copy, but I do have a problem with them blocking me if I have a mod chip or some sort and I am playing a legal copy of the game.

Taranis
05-30-2002, 10:44 AM
Originally posted by Lynxfx
... but I do have a problem with them blocking me if I have a mod chip or some sort and I am playing a legal copy of the game. But is an import game truly a "legal" copy of a game. They make different region DVD's and games for a reason. Importing them and playing them on a modded machine may not be illegal, but it is obviously against the intended use of the product.

Kraft
05-30-2002, 10:46 AM
Yeah, but some games will only be released in Japan, or other parts of the world. Do you think it's fair to have to buy a whole new Xbox if you just want to play a game you special ordered from japan? Or Europe? Or what if you want to watch some of your dvds that you special ordered because they are impossible to find in the states... Seems like a load of crap to me that they expect you to get multiple xboxs.

Taranis
05-30-2002, 11:02 AM
I don't think they expect you to get multiple Xboxes. I think they expect you not to watch those movies on your Xbox at all. I think what we're forgetting is that the companies that make DVD players and such are hemmed in by laws that force them to abide by regional coding. If they weren't, all DVD players (and Xboxes) would play all DVD's. It's the MPAA and the RIAA in cahoots with government (of the US especially) that are the root of all these problems.

So, if MS decides to disallow some illegal usage of their machine, then I think they're just doing what they have to do according to the law. It's not some vast conspiracy to deprive you of your Super Holographic Vampire Hunter D DVD or to sell more Xboxes. It's just not in their hands at all.

Kraft
05-30-2002, 11:06 AM
if its not in their hands at all and it wouldn't affect their sales in a negative way... why would they stop people that had a mod chip like that from accessing xbox live? I can see if the chip allowed pirated games I guess... But if they make a chip that just unlocks xbox potential? Im hoping that games will be encoded with unique user codes that make sure only one copy of the disc can be online at once, like on b.net. That way if you are dumb enough to rip your game to the hd and distribute it, you possibly won't get to play it online.

Taranis
05-30-2002, 11:33 AM
Originally posted by KraftSLU
why would they stop people that had a mod chip like that from accessing xbox live? Because this would mean that they were allowing illegal activity to occur on their service. That "illegal" activity being the playing of import games that the FCC or whoever says shouldn't be played here.

Kraft
05-30-2002, 11:35 AM
Originally posted by Taranis
Because this would mean that they were allowing illegal activity to occur on their service. That "illegal" activity being the playing of import games that the FCC or whoever says shouldn't be played here.

but the 'illegal activity' wouldn't actually be occuring on their service. That would be like an online PC game kicking you off their server because they managed to detect that your computer has a pirated game made by a completely different company. I really don't see how that is in microsofts rights to do that if this is the case.

Taranis
05-30-2002, 11:40 AM
It's within their rights because they own the service. They can dictate the rules for that service because you don't "have" to use it. If they feel their interest is better served by not letting people who have mod chips (for whatever reason) play then their TOS probably allows them to do that.

I understand your point about it might be a different game all together, and that's a good point, but I think this has to be an all-or-nothing situation for MS.

Casper
05-30-2002, 12:53 PM
I don't think that there is anyway that Microsoft can tell that there is a Mod chip in there. I have direcTv and have used a cheat card for it for the last 3 years, AND have not been contacted by direcTv at all. So the only way that MS can "tell" is if, and this is a BIG maybe, you had the your Xbox online and they sent some kind of "bullet" (which is what cable companies use to descramble the cheater boxes) and somehow scan the motherboard and circuits. BUT technology is not there yet bud, and with the way M$ is, I wouldn't put it past them, except til maybe "XBox 2", but not now.

Taranis
05-30-2002, 12:58 PM
I agree that there might not be a way to do it, but I don't think that changes the dynamic of whether you should install a mod chip or not.

spy_spirit
05-30-2002, 03:37 PM
ok I was just thinking that.

LynxFX
05-30-2002, 03:56 PM
Originally posted by Taranis
But is an import game truly a "legal" copy of a game. They make different region DVD's and games for a reason. Importing them and playing them on a modded machine may not be illegal, but it is obviously against the intended use of the product.

They have region coding for one reason and one reason only. To squeeze every last dollar out of consumers that have no choice. I have no problem morally with getting around DVD region coding. They jack the prices on certain regions for the same product because they know they can. They release some titles with much better transfers, better sound, and special features in other regions while region 1 gets a barebone disc. Hmmm, which do I want?

I will never buy another music cd because of the way the RIAA does business. If I want to support the artists, I will go to their concert.

The MPAA is getting close to that kind of practice but I do buy every movie I own. I buy alot of them. I will be damned if I let them control the way I watch it.